looks like its clutch time for me too! ugh!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
so now mine is doing it too. TOB is howling like a banshee! it doesnt make a whole lot of noise when the clutch pedal is not pressed...but when you DO press it, she SCREAMS! and i mean LOUD! i can also hear like a crunching/rattling sound right before she screams. sounds like bearings crunching around possibly? also think it was putting out a little smell. so anyhow a clutch replacement is definately in the works, to say the least...

anyone ever heard of pro-motion performance? it seems they have some affordable clutches, for our cobras. i was just curious as to if they are any good, or if anyone on here has personally used one? if so what are YOUR thoughts and opinions on it?

here is a link if anyone wants to see.
ProMotion Powertrain

im wanting something that wont chatter its ass off, and will last a while. dont want to spend an arm and a leg either.

only performance mods are: JLT RAI, 2.8 upper, diablo tuned, steeda cat-back

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have heard good things about them. What are your ultimate goals power wise?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
so you HAVE heard good things about them...cool.

ultimately my power levels arent going to be changing much. i never go to the track, its my DD, and im pretty satisfied with the power where it is now. not going to be going TS or anything like that.

at the most would be to port my blower...but thats not definate, and if i did go ported, it wouldnt be anytime soon.

i was looking at getting their base level 520hp rated clutch for $240 (or whatever it was). prob going to order a better TOB thru lethal, and possibly their retainer sleeve as well.

i just hope my clutch/car will get me thru/make it until next weekend, when the clutch install will be taking place. my brother in-law is a mechanic, and said he would do the install in his drive-way on his day off (next saturday) for like $150. i guess im just going to skip gears, and shift as little as possible...and only driver to work and home, and thats it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
im wanting something that wont chatter its ass off

Allow me to take this opportunity to tell you to avoid Spec clutches like the plague :) lol. Don't get me fired up on how much I hate my Spec 3+ clutch.

The FMS TOB is supposed to be one of the best you can get. A retainer is a very good idea too. I busted my stock one long time ago.

You know if you're just looking for a stock 03 Cobra clutch to replace your existing one I have one from the Ford dealer that I put in my car for 2 weeks and then ended up tearing down the whole car for engine rebuild and went with a 26 spline and different clutch. If interested PM me.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Allow me to take this opportunity to tell you to avoid Spec clutches like the plague :) lol. Don't get me fired up on how much I hate my Spec 3+ clutch.

The FMS TOB is supposed to be one of the best you can get. A retainer is a very good idea too. I busted my stock one long time ago.

You know if you're just looking for a stock 03 Cobra clutch to replace your existing one I have one from the Ford dealer that I put in my car for 2 weeks and then ended up tearing down the whole car for engine rebuild and went with a 26 spline and different clutch. If interested PM me.

yeah i saw your thread, about the spec and all of its chatter. i kind of have a feeling thats what i have in mine now, but im not sure. i did buy the car used, and this will be the first clutch swap since i have owned it...however i know for sure it doesnt have the stocker in, because the dealer i got the car from said that was the only "upgrade" the previous owner did was an aftermarket clutch. and man that thing has chattered BAD since ive owned it. mainly in the lower RPMs/taking off like you described. thats what kind of makes me think i have a spec right now.

as far as putting another stock clutch in mine...the only thing im concerned with is it not lasting very long at all, since im not at the stock power level any more. is this a valid concern? or will stock clutches hold up fine w/ 450-475 hp?

im thinking i might just go ahead with the pro-motion 520hp rated clutch for $240. that seems like a hell of a price. especially if they are a pretty decent clutch. and so far...although i havent heard a whole lot about them, the few things i have heard were all good/positive.

all i know is i just hope my clutch makes it til next weekend, with me driving to work and back every day. i just got back from a mothers day thing at my moms, and now the TOB is SCREAMING non stop. screams without the peddal pressed, and screams twice as loud when i do press the clutch pedal. and i mean LOUD. talk about emberassing...nice looking cobra sittin at a stop light screamin/soundin like sheeeiiiiiit

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Your current setup sounds like it's on its last legs. I hope it lasts too.

I'm sure like anything your mileage may very and it depends on how you use the car but my car dyno'd 486 rwhp and I rode it that way for a long time. I was on the stock clutch from 03 when I bought the car brand new till 2008. The last two years where at 486, prior years I dyno'd 411 with CAI and cat back.
In all those years my car only went to the track 3 maybe 4 times. It's mostly a toy on the streets.
Original reason for pulling tranny was my TOB retainer snapped. While I was in there I found stock 10 spline shaft was twisted and about to snap so I replaced it with another stocker and while in there figured might as well replace clutch.

Two weeks later motor developed a ticking sound and I tore it apart to rebuild and while at it replaced tranny input shaft with a 26 spline. That's the long and short of how I ended up with the Spec. Really there was nothing wrong with the stock clutch. I actually liked it a lot.

Malcolm

wilderyzed

Established Member
Pro Motion is a great company I used to deliver all our tranny work from the local shop I worked at to them really affordable and top quality they just rebuilt my t56 last month couldn't be happier. Your noise is most likely a TOB sleeve not the bearing I broke mine it did the same thing. If you go promotion call and speak to walt or wally I have delt with them in person several times great people. I just put in an exedy mach700 its got a little chatter and quick engagement but its a 5 puck clutch any 800ftlb clutch is gonna have its downsides its just part of the deal. Mcleods are also very good in my past experience installing them on customer's cars can't say much good about specs, def stay away from fidanzas or rams everyone I put in ended up coming back out cus the costomer hated it. Hope I helped

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Pro Motion is a great company I used to deliver all our tranny work from the local shop I worked at to them really affordable and top quality they just rebuilt my t56 last month couldn't be happier. Your noise is most likely a TOB sleeve not the bearing I broke mine it did the same thing. If you go promotion call and speak to walt or wally I have delt with them in person several times great people. I just put in an exedy mach700 its got a little chatter and quick engagement but its a 5 puck clutch any 800ftlb clutch is gonna have its downsides its just part of the deal. Mcleods are also very good in my past experience installing them on customer's cars can't say much good about specs, def stay away from fidanzas or rams everyone I put in ended up coming back out cus the costomer hated it. Hope I helped

excellent! thank you for your input. more positive things said about ProMotion. good deal! im going to be ordering from them for sure. more thwan likely will be ordering today.

MalcomV8, i believe im going to pass on the stock replacement. thank you though for your offer!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
$240 for a clutch sounds dirt cheap. I would check for a review of this clutch to make sure you don't get burned...

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I was in the same boat as you and went with:
The Exedy Mach 500 Kit, Ford T/O and Pilot Bearing, McLeod T/O Bearing Sleeve. What are you going to do with the Flywheel?? Re-surface or replace?? I also did the 26 spline, although it probably isn't necessary ... The Exedy is smooth, and has turned out to be a good choice.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
well...now im starting to kind of wonder....

i have called promotion several times and cant seem to get an answer. i have left 2 voice mails as well. i dunno about this. if there was/is a problem with the clutch, i can only imagine how hard it would be to get ahold of someone to talk to then.

hopefully they are just reeeeealll busy

edit: as far as the flywheel, i guess just resurface the stocker>?

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Does anyone have any experience with CenterForce clutches? their website claims they drive like stock. Their prices are decent too.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I was in the same boat as you and went with:
The Exedy Mach 500 Kit, Ford T/O and Pilot Bearing, McLeod T/O Bearing Sleeve. What are you going to do with the Flywheel?? Re-surface or replace?? I also did the 26 spline, although it probably isn't necessary ... The Exedy is smooth, and has turned out to be a good choice.

i havent heard of Exedy? how do you like your clutch, sounds like iyou might like it? what are the prices like?

Teej281

Established Member
Does anyone have any experience with CenterForce clutches? their website claims they drive like stock. Their prices are decent too.

Centerforce DF clutches are supposed to be lighter than stock pedal effort and more than factory holding capacity...i think its somewhere around 600hp for the DF and more for the DFX. I personally would rock a centerforce clutch but I think for the future power im gonna go ahead and get a Mcleod twin disc but if i do end up just getting one to get by, its gonna be a centerforce.

945LSTANG

Established Member
so now mine is doing it too. TOB is howling like a banshee! it doesnt make a whole lot of noise when the clutch pedal is not pressed...but when you DO press it, she SCREAMS! and i mean LOUD! i can also hear like a crunching/rattling sound right before she screams. sounds like bearings crunching around possibly? also think it was putting out a little smell. so anyhow a clutch replacement is definately in the works, to say the least...

anyone ever heard of pro-motion performance? it seems they have some affordable clutches, for our cobras. i was just curious as to if they are any good, or if anyone on here has personally used one? if so what are YOUR thoughts and opinions on it?

here is a link if anyone wants to see.
ProMotion Powertrain

im wanting something that wont chatter its ass off, and will last a while. dont want to spend an arm and a leg either.

only performance mods are: JLT RAI, 2.8 upper, diablo tuned, steeda cat-back

sounds a lot more like the pilot bearing than the TOB. TOB is usually the other way around. be sure to pick up a pilot bearing.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
cool thanks!

just finished placing my order...

got the 520hp clutch from pro-motion. and from lethal got the ford racing TOB, pilot bearing, and lethal TOB retainer sleeve.

got the rest of the week off work paid, so i dont have to worry about it lasting me til the weekend with driving to work and such....so i should be good to go! =]

Users who are viewing this thread