• Baer

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Brembo

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blownfox

Established Member
I'm looking to upgrade the stock brakes and have narrowed it down to 2 kits. Both kits will be better than the stock system and since I already have 18" wheels i have more options they just the 00R.

Baer kit - cons IMO they do not look as good as the Brembos
https://www.lethalperformance.com/baer-1979-2004-mustang-extreme-big-brake-kit-front-50824.html

Brembo - cons 1 piece rotor and rubber line. $300 option to get them in red
https://www.lethalperformance.com/b...n-turismo-330mm-brake-kit-drilled-rotors.html

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I went with the Baer setup. Very happy with their performance and appearance.
e4d33d07-de63-4047-a045-0431eaf4fc0f_zpsbfxnaimz.jpg

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
I went with a used Baer 6p kit, had them powdercoated red, and rebuilt them. I upgraded to Baer 2pc 14" slotted rotors and stainless steel brake lines. Also uograded to 13" FTBR 2pc slotted rotors for the rears with brand new SVE red cobra rear calipers. I'm happy with them!

9c43c15629a5de25b0e231af3ee7fc6b.jpg

e2dd941ab254515dd9ed50a1be325d9d.jpg

edd88dcfc78868802263d8cd77287da8.jpg

e248c8cbad95754e270697368d1cf320.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blownfox

Established Member
I've been wanting a big brake kit to, just can't decide, but I've been leaning towards this.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/FT_9490.htm

My only question is are they wroth the extra $800 over the baer kit 14"? This would be for a street car like yours. I'm not sure if they would clear 18x9 AFS wheels (I'm sure he has a template) and I do like Bruce's products.

Sometimes I think about buying the cobra R brembo kit and adding Bruce's two piece rotors would be a big improvement over the stock brakes. Similar to what @jrgoffin did.

I understand I will see a small performance increase at low speeds less than 60. Although 5-10 ft might be the difference of hitting someone if they pull out in front of you. It's the higher speeds is where I want to see the increase in braking performance. With the TVS blower it gets to triple digit fairly quickly.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My only question is are they wroth the extra $800 over the baer kit 14"? This would be for a street car like yours. I'm not sure if they would clear 18x9 AFS wheels (I'm sure he has a template) and I do like Bruce's products.

Sometimes I think about buying the cobra R brembo kit and adding Bruce's two piece rotors would be a big improvement over the stock brakes. Similar to what @jrgoffin did.

I understand I will see a small performance increase at low speeds less than 60. Although 5-10 ft might be the difference of hitting someone if they pull out in front of you. It's the higher speeds is where I want to see the increase in braking performance. With the TVS blower it gets to triple digit fairly quickly.

I recently emailed FTBR. In a month or two they will be offering a budget 14" wilwood 4 piston kit with 1 piece rotors for 1299+shipping. I'm going to check that out before making a decision.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I don't race my car, but the Brembo kit with the 2-piece rotors is more than enough, and works phenomenally well. If you go to a 14" front rotor, the bias changes and then you'll have the upgrade the rear rotors and caliper mounts as well to increase the leverage to match. Totally not worth it unless your car sees the track.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Any reason not to go with the cobra R front brake kit?

blownfox

Established Member
I'm blaming @Bdubbs for my mods addiction. Since watching his car transformation, I'm doing pretty much the same things to my car. Like the VMP upgrade, now in the process of getting parts for my return fuel system (only needing to order the injectors), and now I reached out to FTBR and talked with James which have been extremely helpful.

I got extremely lucking and getting an amazing deal on the FT 9490 HD. FTBR has corrected that mistake but said they would honor that price. FTBR answered all my questions and concerns with the floating rotors. Since they use ant-rattle clips they should not produce any additional noise which was extremely important to me as this is primary a street car/daily summer car.

Any reason not to go with the cobra R front brake kit?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Cobra R brakes and they were an option. There is a reason to why several big automotive manufactures use Brembo's and that was a huge plus for me. Since My wheels are alright 18" the invest to go to a 14" rotor was only a couple of hundred dollars and I can upgrade to a 13" rear rotor.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'm blaming @Bdubbs for my mods addiction. Since watching his car transformation, I'm doing pretty much the same things to my car. Like the VMP upgrade, now in the process of getting parts for my return fuel system (only needing to order the injectors), and now I reached out to FTBR and talked with James which have been extremely helpful.

I got extremely lucking and getting an amazing deal on the FT 9490 HD. FTBR has not corrected that mistake but said they would honor that price. FTBR answered all my questions and concerns with the floating rotors. Since they use ant-rattle clips they should not produce any additional noise which was extremely important to me as this is primary a street car/daily summer car.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Cobra R brakes and they were an option. There is a reason to why several big automotive manufactures use Brembo's and that was a huge plus for me. Since My wheels are alright 18" the invest to go to a 14" rotor was only a couple of hundred dollars and I can upgrade to a 13" rear rotor.
Right on. Hope it all comes out well.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't race my car, but the Brembo kit with the 2-piece rotors is more than enough, and works phenomenally well. If you go to a 14" front rotor, the bias changes and then you'll have the upgrade the rear rotors and caliper mounts as well to increase the leverage to match. Totally not worth it unless your car sees the track.

So are you saying do not go with a big brake kit unless the car is tracked? I'd like to get matching rear rotors of course.

I just feel I should have better stopping power at my hp.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My understanding of the big brakes is that it helps keep fade at bay. The larger rotor and caliper has more surface area to dissipate heat faster. A stock 13" rotor with the right brake pad can stop a car pretty quick. It just won't do it as many times as a bigger set up before needing to cool down.

FWIW, I had the stock calipers on my 01 with Hawk pads and it stopped that car pretty damn fast. And that car was making about the same power as the big blower guys on here. But that car never went around a track. Just some spirited driving.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I think this spring I may change the brake fluid. It's original stuff I'm sure.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
So are you saying do not go with a big brake kit unless the car is tracked? I'd like to get matching rear rotors of course.

I just feel I should have better stopping power at my hp.

Better brakes are always a plus, but when you upgrade the front rotor size you have to match the rear, so it's your wallet as the limiting factor. I'm in the process of upgrading to a Whipple, and am staying with the '00R calipers and current two-piece rotors. For the street, they are fine and don't fade at all, so I see no need to upgrade again, even with another jump in power. You can also do plenty with better fluid, good pads, and upgraded lines as well - all that helps.

Reload469

Established Member
Resurrecting this thread.

So as I understand, you can run the Baer 13" rotors with 6P on the front and rear? Or is it necessary to run a smaller 4P rear? This is probably my next upgrade as my brakes are simply horrid...

blownfox

Established Member
Resurrecting this thread.

So as I understand, you can run the Baer 13" rotors with 6P on the front and rear? Or is it necessary to run a smaller 4P rear? This is probably my next upgrade as my brakes are simply horrid...

Yes you can run the 6p on the stock 13" rotor. I ended up order the caliper only from TSP motorsport. I already had stock slotted rotors and MM ss lines.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/baer-6-piston-brake-upgrade-for-13-rotors.823716/

38956709710_87a065e04d_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread