Looking to purchase 03 Cobra - Any tips or advice?

Scott2019

Established Member
hey everyone, I'm Scott. I'm looking at purchasing my first terminator. I've owned a few old muscle cars, but never a true performance car. I've been looking for a low mileage clean car that will be dependable and fun to drive around the city. I've found an 03 zinc yellow terminator convertible that I'm interested in looking at, and then purchasing if it's everything he says it is. Anything I specifically need to look for when I go to inspect this car. Below is all the information I have about the car. I feel like the guy has been very honest and meticulously maintained his car.

-13k miles
- February 2003 build date
- 2 owner car. 2nd owner had it for 5 1/2 years. Has all documentation.

only mods
- upper pulley
- exhaust
- CAI
- Short throw

Questions
- He's sent over videos, I don't hear any ticking. Is this something that would have happened by now if the engine were going to tick?
- With it being very low mileage should I have any other concerns?
- Most guys don't seem to have any huge issues with these cars, but is there anything else I need to specifically look for or ask him?

Finally, I know this is kind of a loaded question, but what price range should I be in. Prices on these cars are all over the place. Finding a lower mileage, clean car seems to be close to impossible for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to being part of the SVT community!

Zemedici

Established Member
Being ZY vert, it’s a love or hate color, with majority hating it. That should work in your favor imo since he would have a difficult time finding a buyer i would think, however he may pull the ‘rarity’ card to keep his asking price high...Something to think about.

There may be a member in the area that would go check out the car for you. I’ve looked at cars, blowers, wheels, etc for guys on the forum. Always down to help.

What’s he asking for the car?

Scott2019

Established Member
Thanks for the insight. It's definitely a love it or hate it color. I think it's an amazing looking color. My only concern is how bad is the color going to hurt me when I go to sell it? I guess there's an ass for every seat though. In your opinion if the car is super clean is it a $24k-$26k car?

Zemedici

Established Member
Thanks for the insight. It's definitely a love it or hate it color. I think it's an amazing looking color. My only concern is how bad is the color going to hurt me when I go to sell it? I guess there's an ass for every seat though. In your opinion if the car is super clean is it a $24k-$26k car?

Yes it could bring that, with the miles. And you are right about resale. May have to sit on it a while, however finding these cars in good shape is getting more and more difficult.

I’d snag her up. It’s a machine, can be fixed. I would look for obvious leaks (IRS, rear main, etc) and if she checks out, done deal.

Scott2019

Established Member
Thanks! I'm definitely trying to snag this one. It'll probably be next weekend before I have time to go look at it. It's only about 2 hours away from the house, which is nice, most of the other cars I've looked at have been 4-6 hours away.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Keep us posted in this thread. Hopefully it will be everything you expect it to be, and more. I prefer Zinc Yellow over Screaming Yellow. ZY is subtle, which I like. It might be tougher to sell down the road, but Ford sold all 809 (couples and convertibles) they made, so there are people out there who like the color. Just might take a bit longer to find a buyer.

Scott2019

Established Member
Keep us posted in this thread. Hopefully it will be everything you expect it to be, and more. I prefer Zinc Yellow over Screaming Yellow. ZY is subtle, which I like. It might be tougher to sell down the road, but Ford sold all 809 (couples and convertibles) they made, so there are people out there who like the color. Just might take a bit longer to find a buyer.

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on here. I'm probably going to have tons of dumb questions after I get one.

Who do you guys recommend for email tunes? He's using the box tune from SCT right now. I'm sure that's not a great tune.

Scott2019

Established Member
Hey guys, I thought I'd let you know I decided to purchase the car. I went to look at the car, I could tell that it had been taken really good care of, and we were able to negotiate a deal that I felt was definitely in my favor. I have all of the documentation and stock parts for the car. I did some research and ran a car fax before I got there and it came back clean as a whistle. Looks like the first owner bought it in his mid 50's, traded it in to a dealership in 2013, and the second owner purchased it from there. The second owner only put about 2600 miles on it in the time frame that he owned it, which I thought was really strange, but he said he worked all the time, and just didn't have time to get the car out and enjoy it. Which I understand that, life happens and things get in the way.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Hey guys, I thought I'd let you know I decided to purchase the car. I went to look at the car, I could tell that it had been taken really good care of, and we were able to negotiate a deal that I felt was definitely in my favor. I have all of the documentation and stock parts for the car. I did some research and ran a car fax before I got there and it came back clean as a whistle. Looks like the first owner bought it in his mid 50's, traded it in to a dealership in 2013, and the second owner purchased it from there. The second owner only put about 2600 miles on it in the time frame that he owned it, which I thought was really strange, but he said he worked all the time, and just didn't have time to get the car out and enjoy it. Which I understand that, life happens and things get in the way.

Congrats.

Throw some pics up.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Thanks, I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on here. I'm probably going to have tons of dumb questions after I get one.

Who do you guys recommend for email tunes? He's using the box tune from SCT right now. I'm sure that's not a great tune.

There’s a few guys that can tune remotely on here

Malcolmv8
04sleeper

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread