Looking for suggestions for a/m stereo system power in a convertible

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I still have the mach 460 amp and speakers, but I put in an a/m headunit. It sounds fine with the roof up, but when it's down the sound just isn't there. I'm looking to replace it with some a/m speakers and amp. Problem I'm having is I don't know what RMS power levels to go with. I've seen speaker setups with 100w RMS, 50, 75, etc. Just trying to see if any convertible owners upgraded their mach 460 and what you have for a setup. Seems like a 75-100W RMS rating would be a lot more than the mach 460 puts out which I've seen reports only makes about 230W RMS.

Just looking to see what you guys run and if you're happy with it or wish you had more or less power in it. I don't need huge amounts of bass. The bass in the mach460 is fine for me. I'm looking for clarity and quality sound more than big bass.

Thanks.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Should be happy with JL Audio C3's and JL amps. Don't settle for the C2's, trust me. Hertz is good Moral is good. You'll need a sub just to equal out the freqs for good sound, single good 10 or 12 would work. LC71 from Audio Control worked good for me to tie everything in together.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If you're talking about just swapping out the speakers, it's not that easy.

The "tweeters" are highs AND mids
The 6x8s are bass only. Also the amps/speakers are 6 ohms.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
If you're talking about just swapping out the speakers, it's not that easy.

The "tweeters" are highs AND mids
The 6x8s are bass only. Also the amps/speakers are 6 ohms.
It's definitely a different way of doing a system. I've read up on the mach460 and the way it was designed. The design certainly left me wondering why to a lot of what Ford did with it. I was looking to get a/m speakers, amp, power and ground wire, etc. The mach460 amps and speakers would be removed and the radio already is.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah that will work. For reference, I run Focal seperates up front, Focal coaxials out back, and a JL 10W3 in a JL stealthbox.
Everything is powered off a single Kicker KXA800.5 amp. 100w x4 and 400w x1
It's a great little amp

Last edited:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Should be happy with JL Audio C3's and JL amps. Don't settle for the C2's, trust me. Hertz is good Moral is good. You'll need a sub just to equal out the freqs for good sound, single good 10 or 12 would work. LC71 from Audio Control worked good for me to tie everything in together.
I was looking at JL amps and the Audio Control ones as well as a couple others. I've had JL stuff years ago and it was good for what I wanted. Never tried their amps though. Thank you for you input. I haven't done an a/m system in about 20 years and I know a lot has changed.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Yeah that will work. For reference, I run Focal seperates up front, Focal coaxials out back, and a JL 10W3 in a JL stealthbox.
Everything is powered off a single Kicker KXA800.5 amp. 100w x4 and 400w x1
It's a great little amp
Thank you. I’m always interested in people’s setups. I’d like to run just 1 amp if possible. So with the coaxials out back do you notice any sound quality differences without the rear tweeters?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you. I’m always interested in people’s setups. I’d like to run just 1 amp if possible. So with the coaxials out back do you notice any sound quality differences without the rear tweeters?

No I dont. The back speakers are mostly filler normally.
I definitely like the ease and simplicity if just 1 amp.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have Memphis Audio components in the doors. They're wired straight to the head unit. For bass I have an MTX 10" sub and an old Thunderpro amp. The rear speakers are stock for now. It sounds decent, but I'm definitely going to need an amp for the mids and highs soon.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have Memphis Audio components in the doors. They're wired straight to the head unit. For bass I have an MTX 10" sub and an old Thunderpro amp. The rear speakers are stock for now. It sounds decent, but I'm definitely going to need an amp for the mids and highs soon.

How'd you wire up the components directly to the radio?
I'm assuming you just used the wire for the "tweeters" in the doors?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
How'd you wire up the components directly to the radio?
I'm assuming you just used the wire for the "tweeters" in the doors?
You would assume correctly. I went with the set up that comes with crossovers. There's a short somewhere in the wires for the 5x8's and this was easier than chasing it down.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If you mean the booming type bass, no. That's all handled by the subwoofer. The speakers just handle the mids and highs. I also have an aftermarket head unit. So I have a little more flexibility.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Check out JP amps from Down for Sound. Here is a sound amp you may be interesting in. I actually have it sitting in the garage but not interesting shipping it. They have a pretty good following and great amps for the price.

I run a pretty good bit of stereo at over 6,000 watts to my 12" subs alone. Been a bass head since my teens.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If you mean the booming type bass, no. That's all handled by the subwoofer. The speakers just handle the mids and highs. I also have an aftermarket head unit. So I have a little more flexibility.

No, I mean the lower midrange. The tweeter wire has a crossover that feeds them mids and highs. All the lows came through the 6x8 speaker

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
In my 04 the tweeter wires go straight to the head unit. There's no factory crossover. At least that's what my multimeter told me when I was tracing wires. So there is mid range coming out of the replacement 5x8.

Users who are viewing this thread