Looking for storage drums for E85

Bad Company

Established Member
Any hose made for a fuel transfer pump that goes between the storage tank and vehicle by federal law is required to have an anti-static feature built into the hose. This is to dissipate the static electricity equally between the tank, pump, hose and car. I'm not sure if your wire will work between all the components as you're refueling the car

I had a friend that got seriously burned 20 years ago with diesel fuel while filling a 100 gallon fuel tank on a dump truck. This was due to a faulty hose made by Goodyear that didn't dissipate the static electricity correctly. He almost died and spent more than 3 months in the hospital and couldn't work for more than a year.

The volume you're transferring and the amount you're transferring per minute is much lower than he was, so the build up of static electricity should be lower in your case. But it is still a risk you need to minimize as much as possible

Also remember that you're dealing with E85 and that you also want a hose that will not deteriorate with that fuel type

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
I didn't see you were in KC until the last post. Where did you pick up the drum from, also which pump do you fill up at?

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Impossible for diesel to catch from static electricity,it is a combustible fuel,not a flammable one.You cant even light it with a match. The flash point is well over 400 degrees
Something else had to of ignited the fuel

I had a friend that got seriously burned 20 years ago with diesel fuel while filling a 100 gallon fuel tank on a dump truck. This was due to a faulty hose made by Goodyear that didn't dissipate the static electricity correctly. He almost died and spent more than 3 months in the hospital and couldn't work for more than a year.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I didn't see you were in KC until the last post. Where did you pick up the drum from, also which pump do you fill up at?

Got the drum from a friend. I've been using Platte City Fuels up north by 92 highway and I29. Kinda PITA to get gas hence the drum. Probably switch back to pump after a while as fetching the E85 gets super old.

Impossible for diesel to catch from static electricity,it is a combustible fuel,not a flammable one.You cant even light it with a match. The flash point is well over 400 degrees
Something else had to of ignited the fuel

Although as kids I remember sucking up diesel in our bicycle pumps and pumping it out hard making a spray mist. Light a match and watch out lol. Hopefully no kids reading this thread, it's a stupid idea and don't try it. I'm also confused how it ignited just been pumped into a tank though.

Users who are viewing this thread