Looking for some solid n/a methods for better torque for towing and offroading

CobraVic

Established Member
So I'm not looking to turn this thing into a 93 octane fueled 7500rpm is where the power is now type of truck.

I'm looking for that down low grunt. .The towing a big ass trailer with the cobra swapped cop car on it grunt.. The at the bottom of a 19° rocky hill and i have the urge to be at the top grunt.

Its a 2014 super crew fx4 f150. So a pathetic 360hp.....at the crank.. .And with 33x12.50r20 Ko2's and factory 3:55's it feels like 260. Granted the truck weighs like 5700lbs.

All that coyote hype and it seems like between 3500 to 5000 there's a blip of life, but everywhere else it's just gutless. .Huge difference from the LMS tuned SHO I traded in for the truck.. And even bigger difference from my 4500lb crown victoria packing a cobra swap. .Putting down 481rwhp in September 2015.

So fellow truck guys.. What can I do?

Cams as far as I have seen move the power and way up to the 4500 area or higher.

Boss intake kills low end.

2018 GT intake needs lock outs and 18' cams to be worth it.

Aside from a $6500 blower kit, which would suck because the wife wants at least one vehicle which runs on 87, what can I do to get a touch more go power?

I was thinking old fashioned. .Tune, exhaust, cai(pmas?), underdrives, throttle body.. .Stuff like that maybe?

StrayBullitt

Established Member
First off I'd re-gear your axles to offset those 33's that are killing your available power and torque..

(new tire / old tire) x original axle ratio = new axle ratio

Then a set of Long tube headers, Cold air intake and I'd go for an E85 tune so you can run more timing and shove it in early. That will give you more Torque down low that you are looking for.

Liftnw8ts

Re-gear your truck with 4:56 Yukon gears front and rear, trust me you won't regret it even though its a 2100.00 job for gears install kits front and rear and labor. then get a custom tune from 5 star with a 87 and 93 performance and performance/tow tune. these 2 things will improve your gas mileage and your truck will feel like you have a bigger engine in it. For the money these are the 2 best things to do. Everything else short of a blower will not be worth the horsepower per dollar equation.

Users who are viewing this thread