Looking for shops near Indy and Cincinnati

DoinWork

Established Member
I'm planning on making a trip to both locations to look at a couple cars. 1 is a burnt orange 01gt with a full 03 cobra swap for 11k. Looks like a super clean swap. The other is a 03 cobra with 44k miles for 17.5k. I'd like some help deciding which one to choose and I really don't want to buy either without taking them to a shop to make sure everything is good to go. Bare minimum I'd like checked:

1. Compression test
2. Leakdown of cooling system
3. Oil pressure

I'm not from the area and don't know where to take it. Both owners said they would be fine with having a shop look at them.

Could also use help deciding which one to get.

The 01gt I would but the cobra front and back seats to put in it as it has racing fronts and rear delete. Not a big deal. The price is great. It's not a real cobra which kind of sucks but for the price and the drivetrain I don't mind a whole lot. Buying a house so the extra money would really help.

The 03 cobra... I like the color a little more. Love the low milage. Looks super clean from the pix, especially the interior. Something that is a pro and a con is that a whole was burned through a piston. The motor was rebuilt and sleeved with diamond rods and pistons. The heads were built, port and polished. It dynod at around 442hp 475tq. Stock blower. Lots of room for more power. Supposedly very conservative tune when dynod. Only 200miles on rebuild. Kind of scary to me buying something with a rebuilt motor and not having a warranty.

Thanks in advance for the help.

nickf2005

Established Member
I'm in Indy. Look up Streetcraft LLC. on Facebook and contact them. I'd trust anything I own with them. Nick and Mike are the two I know there and I think Nick runs the Facebook page.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
The swap may look enticing but you don’t know what you’re getting. You don’t know what corners may have been cut for the swap or if everything is sorted out correctly. I would proceed with caution on that one. Get it thoroughly checked out good.
The Cobra would be my choice but again with the rebuilt motor I would want to see receipts for the parts he said were used and would want to talk to the shop that did the rebuild. If it is a stock block Terminator there is no “sleeving” of the block. It’s an iron block so that’s a red flag to me. Again I would have it thoroughly checked out and dig into the background more on the rebuild. If it in fact is what he says it is then that would be a definite plus. However there are people out there that will pass things off as something they are not knowing the only way you can tell is to do a full tear down. Also ask to see receipts for the head work and ask who did the porting. Talk to them and find out exactly what was done.
Just my opinion. However if the Cobra checks out, that is the one I would be going for. You definitely need to research the work he is claiming though and not just take his word for it without some kind of proof.

Ken

DoinWork

Established Member
The swap may look enticing but you don’t know what you’re getting. You don’t know what corners may have been cut for the swap or if everything is sorted out correctly. I would proceed with caution on that one. Get it thoroughly checked out good.
The Cobra would be my choice but again with the rebuilt motor I would want to see receipts for the parts he said were used and would want to talk to the shop that did the rebuild. If it is a stock block Terminator there is no “sleeving” of the block. It’s an iron block so that’s a red flag to me. Again I would have it thoroughly checked out and dig into the background more on the rebuild. If it in fact is what he says it is then that would be a definite plus. However there are people out there that will pass things off as something they are not knowing the only way you can tell is to do a full tear down. Also ask to see receipts for the head work and ask who did the porting. Talk to them and find out exactly what was done.
Just my opinion. However if the Cobra checks out, that is the one I would be going for. You definitely need to research the work he is claiming though and not just take his word for it without some kind of proof.

Ken

All very great points. I was definitely leaning towards the cobra. Although I did not realize you couldn't sleeve the blocks. He said he doesn't have receipts for the work but can get me in touch with the supposedly very reputable mustang engine builder in southern Ohio who built it.... Really concerns me and making me not want to get it but if it is what he says it is I could be passing up a great deal

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
You can sleeve an aluminum block but not an iron block. Unless it’s wet sleeved like a Darton MID sleeve set up. 03-04 Cobras have iron blocks from the factory.

You may have dodged a bullet. I’m sorry but there is no way I would rebuild a motor like that and NOT keep receipts. The shop owner could have been a buddy just telling you what he wanted you to hear.
I could be wrong but I would have steered clear without hard proof.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread