Looking for opinions on a 2022 Audi S5.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My 2019 Genesis G-70 3.3T Sport (6,800 miles) is paid off and I'll be putting it under cover for the winter sometime mid-November. Right now, used car prices are at a premium, so if I was looking to sell, now is a great time. If I sold it, I wouldn't need to replace it until next April or May. I'm toying with the idea of selling it, banking the money for now, and then in the Spring look for another car. I have no other reason to sell the G-70 as it's perfect for me. Plenty of factory power (365hp), ceramic coated body the POPS, and very intuitive controls. A coupe makes sense for me since the back seat is never used.

My wife just leased a 2021 Acura TLX and we looked at the Audi A4 before deciding on the TLX. I really liked the Audi overall, and the S5 caught my attention. Does anyone have any opinions/input on Audis in general, and on the S5 specifically? Maintenance costs/issues, quality, etc. I'm only interested in the S5 because the A4 only comes with a turbo 4-cylinder that makes 261hp. I don't want to drop back from 365hp to 261hp. The S5 has a turbo 6-cylinder that makes 349hp, which is close to my G-70 and performance is about equal.

Thanks in advance!

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
My 2019 Genesis G-70 3.3T Sport (6,800 miles) is paid off and I'll be putting it under cover for the winter sometime mid-November. Right now, used car prices are at a premium, so if I was looking to sell, now is a great time. If I sold it, I wouldn't need to replace it until next April or May. I'm toying with the idea of selling it, banking the money for now, and then in the Spring look for another car. I have no other reason to sell the G-70 as it's perfect for me. Plenty of factory power (365hp), ceramic coated body the POPS, and very intuitive controls. A coupe makes sense for me since the back seat is never used.

My wife just leased a 2021 Acura TLX and we looked at the Audi A4 before deciding on the TLX. I really liked the Audi overall, and the S5 caught my attention. Does anyone have any opinions/input on Audis in general, and on the S5 specifically? Maintenance costs/issues, quality, etc. I'm only interested in the S5 because the A4 only comes with a turbo 4-cylinder that makes 261hp. I don't want to drop back from 365hp to 261hp. The S5 has a turbo 6-cylinder that makes 349hp, which is close to my G-70 and performance is about equal.

Thanks in advance!
Bob,

Not to sidetrack you, but what are your thoughts on the sound of the engine on your G-70? My neighbor got rid of his because he said it was too loud at startup and idling around. He is kind of quirky so just curious. Was thinking of looking at a GV for the wife is the reason.

shurur

Established Member
The best input you can get would be at www.audizine.com

Great community..good folk.

The motor and SC are solid...it is a screw type as I recall.

It is the transmission that I would research.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Audi makes a great product; It's very German. Just keep it under warranty, because repairs can be very costly. For example, the brain in my previous '14 RS5 transmission (DSG) was $7K and 6 months wait for the part, not including labor to replace.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
The best input you can get would be at www.audizine.com

Great community..good folk.

The motor and SC are solid...it is a screw type as I recall.

It is the transmission that I would research.

Bob is asking about the 2022 S5, which is a V6 turbo.

They stopped making the V6SC S5s in 2017. I should know, I have one. :)

But you're right about Audizine and the folks on there.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
This.

They are a nightmare if you have to work on them outside of warranty. My personal experience, 2015 TDI Jetta that starting shitting the bed right at 60k miles.

Yup, buy it and enjoy it for a few years and then sell before the warranty expires. Niece just bought a used A5 and 4 months later they asked me if I’d work on it because the costs for work are extreme. That was a big negative.

dunndeal

Established Member
I've owned two Audis. A great driving car but typically German in design, they don't seem to design them from a mechanic's perspective. Expensive to work on.

fangstang

Established Member
I have a 2019 Audi S5 sportback. Im on the 3rd year on my lease. I only have 9800 miles because I also have a 2012 Raptor I drive a lot. I really like the S5. For one, its a good looking car. Mine is a premium plus in daytona grey w/ red interior and carbon trim, 20's, night pkge and some other options. I get over 30mpg commuting with it. It has plenty of power for daily driving. No issues with it. I change my own oil at home. I will be buying it out at the end of my lease.

Attachments

• IMG_8347.JPG
    IMG_8347.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8349.JPG
    IMG_8349.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8350.JPG
    IMG_8350.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 102

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob,

Not to sidetrack you, but what are your thoughts on the sound of the engine on your G-70? My neighbor got rid of his because he said it was too loud at startup and idling around. He is kind of quirky so just curious. Was thinking of looking at a GV for the wife is the reason.
Wow, mine is quite the opposite. Quiet, in a normal way. IMO it is perfect. Definitely not loud at startup and idling. I drove it yesterday with a friend and I have to admit it's darn near perfect all around. Motor. Transmission. Solidness. Quiet interior. GREAT sound system. My only real complaint is the Hyundai based screen/software they used vs. the Genesis screen/software. The Genesis has a better interface.

Probably a great car while under warranty.
That was my own thinking, although NO car is perfect. I know Audi maintenance costs are much higher than average, and certainly much more than Genesis.

Audi makes a great product; It's very German. Just keep it under warranty, because repairs can be very costly. For example, the brain in my previous '14 RS5 transmission (DSG) was $7K and 6 months wait for the part, not including labor to replace.

Ouch! Thanks for that info.

Yup, buy it and enjoy it for a few years and then sell before the warranty expires. Niece just bought a used A5 and 4 months later they asked me if I’d work on it because the costs for work are extreme. That was a big negative.
If I do go with an Audi S5, it will be definitely a Lease. 3 years, covered by the Warranty, and then move on to something else.
I would keep your genesis. It is a very nice car. You have paid it off.
And THAT is my quandary. I love the Genesis G-70 and it's paid off. And it only has 7K miles on it. That said, it's a sport SEDAN and I REALLY want a coupe, and it's a great time to sell mine with the used selling prices so high.

I have a 2019 Audi S5 sportback. Im on the 3rd year on my lease. I only have 9800 miles because I also have a 2012 Raptor I drive a lot. I really like the S5. For one, its a good looking car. Mine is a premium plus in daytona grey w/ red interior and carbon trim, 20's, night pkge and some other options. I get over 30mpg commuting with it. It has plenty of power for daily driving. No issues with it. I change my own oil at home. I will be buying it out at the end of my lease.
That is a really nice looking S5 Sportback. This is what I would really want. The Prestige package in Glacier White metallic.
1631955323050.png

shurur

Established Member

Yup the DSG transmission...and supposedly they were all good from 2013 on...the 2.0 version?..vice the 1.0, 1.5 versions....

I was looking at an 2009-2013 S4.

I have a 2002 A4 3.slow Q (01E) 6MT with ~240k on her, but that is a different animal. That car I would swap another 3.0 in and keep going.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
I have real life joke about the Audis:

I worked with an engineer from Austria.
He let me know that the Audi and BMW were not German vehicles, but rather Austrian cars. And the Austrians only allowed the Germans to work on their cars because they were useful to them.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I had 2 S4's a while ago (B5 B6). They were nice cars, but a bit to GT (grand touring) for what I wanted. I switched to M3's (had 3). I was on a crash course for another the G80. However just like so many other cars, the G80 has gotten HUGE (now the size of an older 5 series), not to mention controversial looks. So on a whim last January, I traded in the F80 for an M2CS. The point of this ramble is maybe consider the M2 or M2comp. They are small(ish) and are in the 4xx hp range, and are a bit more "performance" in the handling department than the Audi's that I had. You also get the choice of 2 or 3 pedal (3 pedal is a MUST for me).

Just my 2c

TurboMach1

Established Member
You need to look into the RS3. I am a long time Audi fan and have owned several B5 S4s and upgraded in June to a 2019 RS3 and Im loving this car! The 5cyl engine and drivetrain are tough as nails and amazingly easy to tune and work on. Even for Audi which can be a real PIA to work on. They are like any other make once you learn all the quirks they aren't so bad but Audi just seems to have more of them than others.

My car is pretty much stock other than a ECU/TCU tune and mid pipes. It runs 11.30s on pump 93 and will run that at any stop light on the street! This car is an absolute BLAST to drive and is still a very comfortable family car/grocery getter. The factory exhaust is probably one of the coolest parts on the car and the 5 cyl sounds amazing. My next upgrades are a 4" turbo inlet and intake pipe and swapping it over to corn which should drop it into the 10s!

Audizine is a great source of info and Audi has a huge following both here and overseas with a lot of helpful folks.

Attachments

• 0910211828a_HDR.jpg
    0910211828a_HDR.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 2021 SCCA TNiA Pitt Sept 9 Nov .jpg
    2021 SCCA TNiA Pitt Sept 9 Nov .jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 82

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Agreed with this guy ^^

I have a 2019 rs3 and a 2015 rs7. Weirdly, the rs3 is a little more fun to drive, simply due to its smaller size, and nothing—I mean nothing sounds like that screaming 5 cylinder. Interior fit and finish are top notch, and the newest rs3 has a trick torque vectoring system that tremendously enhances the handling of the car. The s5 is a lateral move for you, in terms of power, and likely much more costly than your current car.

As stated, check out audizine, tons of helpful info there. I’m not aware of any known major issues on the rs3 that would be a deal breaker. You can mod these things lightly—I have midpipes, FMIC, intake, turbo inlet, and engine/trans tune, and the car rips, but retains 100% stock feel.
Or you can go for 1000+ hp with a built motor/trans and aftermarket turbo.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The RS3 is definitely nice, but I’m done with sedans. Would have to be 2-door unless it’s an SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mackie

Established Member
It must be 2021 if 'payed off Hyundai' is a talking point on a Ford performance forum.

Get a Mach e GT. Don't get pulled in by the 'has to be gasser, not in my lifetime' herd mentality. That's right up there with 'never a V6 turbo in a pickup' talk from 2011. My guess is range won't be a factor for your usage and you can give some interesting, comparative insight on this FORD performance forum vs 'My Hyundai is really quiet'.

On that note, you'll find the Mach e GT even quieter......

Users who are viewing this thread