Looking for opinions, manual brake bleeder

va boy

Established Member
Can someone recommend a nice quality manual brake bleed system to me?
I've always done the 2 person method, you pump and hold, I'll turn the bleed screw. I'd like to buy one of the systems where I can do it solo.
Suggestions........ Thanks

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
This is my favorite, Motive power bleeder:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvp-0100?seid=srese1&gclid=CNbJnYW1u8gCFQ02gQodhsQIbA

Search Youtube for videos on how to use it. The included instructions are not very helpful, like what do you do when you are finished? It has a pressure release valve, but the tube is full of fluid. Take the adapter off of the reservoir and you'll get fluid everywhere. At least one of the videos shows you how. (sorry, but I did not keep that link).

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Another option is to use speed bleeders. They are like a tiny check valve inside a bleeder. Now the only problem is avoiding letting the master colder run dry, but I have a solution for that too.

I wrote this up several years ago:

I took an old jar, large enough to hold at least one can of brake fluid. It's best to start with an empty can of fluid (or one which has been previously opened and sat on the shelf with old fluid). Fill the can with water and dump it into the jar (or you can use a measuring cup to start with the same ounces of water as the brake fluid can contains). Now mark the fluid level. Throw out the water and connect your bleeder hose to bleeder screw (I used to use speedbleeders, but now I use a MityVac. Both work well. Some prefer the 2-man system, so use whatever is best for you).

Take a full can of brake fluid, wipe off the top good so there is no dirt that can get into the system and clean your thumb as well, then carefully invert it onto your master cylinder (be careful you don't spill it on the paint! I use my thumb over the opening until the bottle is inverted). Now duct tape it in place so it doesn't tip over. At this point, it looks like an inverted water bottle sitting on top of the water cooler.

Now go bleed your brakes. Watch the fluid level in the jar, cause when it's close to the line you marked, then the brake fluid can on the Master Cylinder is nearly empty. If you're still bleeding, then empty the jar and put another can on the M/C and hold it in place with duct tape.

I keep bleeding until the fluid comes out clean, then move on to the next wheel.

Another tip. Brake fluid WILL absorb water, so don't bother storing an open can. If you need to add just a little bit of fluid, might as well do a little flushing and use up the entire can. It's cheaper than replacing calipers because of internal corrosion. Pull your stock bleeder valve all the way out and you'll see what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread