Looking for help diagnosing an A/C(?) problem on a Buick

Teal Terminator

Established Member
I'm trying to help my sister-in-law diagnose a strange problem she is having with a new-to-her car she recently bought.

It is a 2004'ish (sorry, not sure exactly what year... shouldn't really matter) Buick Rendezvous with a little over 100k miles. The "issue" is after she has had the A/C running and then shuts the car off it has this high pitched whine/moan that last probably 5 - 10 seconds.

I figured out today that the noise seems to be coming from the smaller diameter line (low pressure?, not as cold as the other line) from the A/C compressor. It is physically shaking and if you grab it the noise for the most part goes away. Searching a few generic tech sites I came across a few others who had experienced the same thing but no where did I see a cause or a suggested solution.

I read one thing that mentioned something about the pressure bleeding off through some valve that might be leaking or just stuck? It wasn't very clear and I'm not sure if that would be something that needs to be replaced or if it will be fine but just annoying?

Not sure this is any kind of common problem but I also figure someone with more A/C system knowledge than myself might be able to suggest a few possibilities for the cause and/or maybe a solution.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
When it runs does it cool properly?

The noise you maybe hearing is the refrigerant seeking to level out after the system shuts off. Could be whistling through the metering device or a stuck check valve on the discharge side of the compressor the refrigerant is flowing through after the compressor stops compressing.

Users who are viewing this thread