Looking for GT350 Owners' Feedback on the car...

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Great comparisons here... I too am getting the itch for something different. I own a 13 Boss 302 now since new. I truly enjoy driving the Boss. I am in the market for either a GT350, 350R or a ZL1 1LE. My biggest worry with the Shelby’s is the lack of low end torque and the oil consumption. I drove one two years ago on a easy test drive and was really underwhelmed. The car was down right weak below 3k. But I understand that car needs revs.... which I wouldn’t do in a new car with no miles. Another concern is the amount of used GT350s out there forsale. It’s literally staggering when I looked. Worries me that possibly the oil burning issues is really widespread or the owners just tire of the lack of torque in daily driving. This car wouldn’t be my daily, so that’s not as big of a concern, but why are there so many out there?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Did you also check to see how many GT500s, Z06s, ZL1s, 911s, GT350Rs, etc. are "out there?" People trade cars. People sell cars. I think you're creating a concern in your mind when there needn't be one. What year(s) are the ones you're seeing? If they're '15/'16 Tech Pack or Base cars, the reason is pretty obvious by now. Also, there were a few incorrect articles and videos circulating that were stating that all GT350s, except the R, were having overheating issues. That is obviously false, but a lot of GT350 purchasers were not Mustang people to begin with, and wouldn't have bothered to verify that false information before getting rid of their Track Pack cars. The "excessive oil consumption" and failing engines is being grossly exaggerated. Mostly by haters/non-owners. If it was as bad as the claims, Ford would have a class action lawsuit against them and/or issued a recall by now.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
and i'm on the other side of that argument. i think the oil consumption will only continue to get worse as miles get put on these cars. keep in mind i had zero issues til 6k...and when i looked at the others for sale (used 17 shadow black) just like mine, only a few out of the 42 for sale had more miles. many people didn't like the lack of low end torque, many are unloading for the 500, but how many noticed a consumption issue and just got rid of it?? my guess... a lot.

@IamRacerX if those are already concerns of yours i think you've answered your query.

the only thing that makes me think you'd be happy with it is you're already coming from a track oriented car

1FASFKR

Established Member
Great comparisons here... I too am getting the itch for something different. I own a 13 Boss 302 now since new. I truly enjoy driving the Boss. I am in the market for either a GT350, 350R or a ZL1 1LE. My biggest worry with the Shelby’s is the lack of low end torque and the oil consumption. I drove one two years ago on a easy test drive and was really underwhelmed. The car was down right weak below 3k. But I understand that car needs revs.... which I wouldn’t do in a new car with no miles. Another concern is the amount of used GT350s out there forsale. It’s literally staggering when I looked. Worries me that possibly the oil burning issues is really widespread or the owners just tire of the lack of torque in daily driving. This car wouldn’t be my daily, so that’s not as big of a concern, but why are there so many out there?

Boss is special. Think long and hard.

The alur of the ZL1 power is strong. You might study more into the harsh ride of the ZL1 1LE tho. I've heard the race suspension pops and makes noise too. I don't think I'd be on board for that. I'm not on board with the camaro looks either way anyways. ZL1 was never in it for me.

Coming from the HC, I know a little about giving up low end TQ. Of course it's noticeable but I don't think that you'll notice a thing coming from a lower powered Boss. For me, I guess I'm not focused on it. It's a not in my face kinda difference. It's not like I moved to Honda Civic or anything. The gearing, shifting, exhaust notes, and overall driving enjoyment is where it's at for me. The R moves fast enough and handles better than anything I've ever driven. It breathes deep 4k and above. It's exhilerating to drive. You are connected with it. Coming from a Boss, I'm sure you'll understand that.

Issues unfortunately happen to all the manufactures. HC forums have the really long supercharger replacement threads going. Dodge QC sucks. Rattles, unconnect issues, rough remote start, etc. Z06's still overheat on the track. GM corvette trans failures. Torque tubes. I'd suggest browsing the Covette Forum and Camaro5. It seems nobody is immune and nobody made the perfect machine. That's what warranties are for. Get the extended if you like. More often than not, owners of these cars have little to no issues.

IamRacerX

Established Member
and i'm on the other side of that argument. i think the oil consumption will only continue to get worse as miles get put on these cars. keep in mind i had zero issues til 6k...and when i looked at the others for sale (used 17 shadow black) just like mine, only a few out of the 42 for sale had more miles. many people didn't like the lack of low end torque, many are unloading for the 500, but how many noticed a consumption issue and just got rid of it?? my guess... a lot.

@IamRacerX if those are already concerns of yours i think you've answered your query.

the only thing that makes me think you'd be happy with it is you're already coming from a track oriented car
I looked up just 2017 and 2018 used GT350s forsale. 29 within 200 miles 14 with less than 2k miles.. the highest mileage was 8.5k.

You are right though. It’s a concern. My Boss has 21k miles and has never burned a drop of oil between oil changes. My gut says to think long and hard about it for sure.

Last edited:

IamRacerX

Established Member
Boss is special. Think long and hard.

The alur of the ZL1 power is strong. You might study more into the harsh ride of the ZL1 1LE tho. I've heard the race suspension pops and makes noise too. I don't think I'd be on board for that. I'm not on board with the camaro looks either way anyways. ZL1 was never in it for me.

Coming from the HC, I know a little about giving up low end TQ. Of course it's noticeable but I don't think that you'll notice a thing coming from a lower powered Boss. For me, I guess I'm not focused on it. It's a not in my face kinda difference. It's not like I moved to Honda Civic or anything. The gearing, shifting, exhaust notes, and overall driving enjoyment is where it's at for me. The R moves fast enough and handles better than anything I've ever driven. It breathes deep 4k and above. It's exhilerating to drive. You are connected with it. Coming from a Boss, I'm sure you'll understand that.

Issues unfortunately happen to all the manufactures. HC forums have the really long supercharger replacement threads going. Dodge QC sucks. Rattles, unconnect issues, rough remote start, etc. Z06's still overheat on the track. GM corvette trans failures. Torque tubes. I'd suggest browsing the Covette Forum and Camaro5. It seems nobody is immune and nobody made the perfect machine. That's what warranties are for. Get the extended if you like. More often than not, owners of these cars have little to no issues.

Believe me I know the Boss is a special car. After 6.5 years of owning it I’m just feeling it’s time to change up. The idea of more power is part of it for me. But I have to say, I am well aware that the GT350 is not much if any “faster” then the Boss in terms of acceleration. I’ve never driven a ZL1, but I have sat in a few... can’t say I like the seating position. But 650hp and handling numbers that say it’s a track car are alluring. But I’m more of a Mustang guy. I like everything about the GT350 except the low end torque. I’ve actually also thought about just lightly moding the Boss to give me more excitement out of it. That might be my best option. But time will tell. Thanks for your insight!

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Believe me I know the Boss is a special car. After 6.5 years of owning it I’m just feeling it’s time to change up. The idea of more power is part of it for me. But I have to say, I am well aware that the GT350 is not much if any “faster” then the Boss in terms of acceleration. I’ve never driven a ZL1, but I have sat in a few... can’t say I like the seating position. But 650hp and handling numbers that say it’s a track car are alluring. But I’m more of a Mustang guy. I like everything about the GT350 except the low end torque. I’ve actually also thought about just lightly moding the Boss to give me more excitement out of it. That might be my best option. But time will tell. Thanks for your insight!
Go drive a ZL1...only way to know. To me, the way the power comes in is totally opposite the 350, i’m sure you already know that. I have found that i like how the ZL1 does it lol.

I am also a mustang guy, and i regret my swap none. I can’t imagine what this thing would be like on a track, and can’t wait to find out. I noticed on the work commute this morning the ZL1 feels more planted and predictable at triple digit speeds.

Mustang still wins the looks contest though, man the 350 looks damn near perfect.

Tank5879

Established Member
Coming from a Boss, I would say that it really depends on what is important to you. For me, the Boss is a special car, and one of a kind as far as character/feel. The GT350 is also it's own unique and special character and feel. I wouldn't ever say the Boss is a torque monster either, IIRC it has less torque than a GT of the same year? In a perfect world I would have both. In my experience, the Boss was a better street car. It felt "racier" and I liked the recaro's better. The GT350 is far superior in almost every way.. some objective and some subjective, and on the track is where this really shows. One of the drawbacks of the 350 is that it's performance window is very difficult to experience on the street. Head to head, I think I like the Boss better around town and the recaros also the body panel alignment and smoother engine. I like GT350 better on track, looks, (my opinion) interior, paint quality, sound, handling, power, brakes, suspension, clutch, transmission. You really get a sense of how poor the brakes, clutch, and trans are in Boss once you drive the 350. GT350 also has more creature comforts, just because it's newer and more expensive. Things like auto dim mirror, decent stereo, etc that Boss simply doesnt have. You really can't go wrong with either car, IMO the 2 best sounding Mustangs ever made. One other way to compare them, is at Boss Track Attack, the cars did require some durability modifications for sustained track use (brakes, cooling scoops, fluids) GT350 Track Attack cars by comparison were pretty much stock. Both had safety and caster/camber plates as well. I don't regret the move, I only wish I could have found a way to keep the boss as well.

just to add...a couple things that annoyed me with Boss that are gone in 350...That Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut off where if you coast, the PCM almost cuts the fuel and really engine brakes...I found that annoying..and also coupled with that the slop of the driveline/clunkiness it would compound it when on and off the throttle.

Last edited:

96gt02

Established Member
Just for reference I looked within 100 miles of me and there were 20 GT350 for sale, highest mileage was just under 9K with majority having 3K or less... this all kind blows my mind

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I have been thinking about a ZL1 1le and found this compare very useful. Ride quality of 1le is probably too much but the lack of torque of 350r is also big turnoff for me. Maybe a standard ZL1?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... It's not like I moved to Honda Civic or anything. ...

But that sure is how people keep trying to make it sound, though! 0-60 in 4.1 to 3.9 and the 1/4 at 119MPH, but it's just sooooo weak. Quicker than the M4 and just as quick as the C63 S, but it's sooooo weak. I just don't get it. (Or rather, the dejecters don't get it.) The GT350 was NEVER intended to compete against nor be compared against Hellcats and ZL1s in the power department. That's what the GT500 is for (to some degree. It's still slanted more toward a driving experience.). The GT350 is a DRIVER'S car, not a boulevard cruiser nor street bruiser; a DRIVER'S car. If you don't like working together with the car to get the most out of it, the GT350 is NOT for you.

I guess people just don't like high HP naturally aspirated engines anymore. Not long ago, people acted like the C6 Z06's 7L 505HP engine was ordained by God himself. Somehow, though, the attitude now is that the GT350's more powerful 5.2L 526HP engine is not even fit for a Toyota Yaris and will grenade itself after 20 miles. :shrug:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
...but the lack of torque of 350R...

I wish people would stop saying that. It has more torque than the Coyote in the Mustang GT. People act like the Coyote is all the things to all the people. Yet, the Voodoo with more torque has a "lack of torque." Just because the torque is HIGHER in the rev band does not mean it lacks torque.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I wish people would stop saying that. It has more torque than the Coyote in the Mustang GT. People act like the Coyote is all the things to all the people. Yet, the Voodoo with more torque has a "lack of torque." Just because the torque is HIGHER in the rev band does not mean it lacks torque.

OK *low end torque*

ZL1 makes 200 ft/lb more torque at 1000 less RPM. Not everyone is interested spinning out to 8k to get the most out of the motor.

I do not disagree with you but curve is totally different in these cars.

1FASFKR

Established Member
I looked up just 2017 and 2018 used GT350s forsale. 29 within 200 miles 14 with less than 2k miles.. the highest mileage was 8.5k.

You are right though. It’s a concern. My Boss has 21k miles and has never burned a drop of oil between oil changes. My gut says to think long and hard about it for sure.

I don't see your point. I looked up Used ZL1's and got 37 within 100 miles. I really think the low mileage GT350's for sale are owners who paid BIG ADM and want to get out before the market adjusts. Dealerships simply F'd these guys hard and the payment hurts.

As for my Boss comparison to my GT350R...there is no comparison. The R is better at everything and it's not close. I'll always have love for the Boss that I owned. It's my second favorite car.

Last edited:

Tank5879

Established Member
I don't see your point. I looked up Used ZL1's and got 37 within 100 miles. I really think the low mileage GT350's for sale are owners who paid BIG ADM and want to get out before the market adjusts. Dealerships simply F'd these guys hard and the payment hurts.

As for my Boss comparison to my GT350R...there is no comparison. The R is better at everything and it's not close. I'll always have love for my the Boss that I owned. It's my second favorite car.

It's my second favorite as well. I think that if the Boss 302's had better clutch/trans/ brakes it would have made it so much harder to move on from. I didn't do many track days with it, but each time I had brake cooling issues and shifting issues (and flashing CEL). So far so good with 350 on track.

Another reason there are so many for sale is bragging rights. Now 500 HP is "weak"..but that's where we are in 2018.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... Not everyone is interested spinning out to 8k to get the most out of the motor. ...

I get that. Unfortunately, it's a lot of those people who bought GT350s then turned around and complained [incessantly] about having to rev it. It just doesn't make any sense. How the heck does someone knowingly go buy a car that's built for revs yet they don't want to rev it??

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
....Not long ago, people acted like the C6 Z06's 7L 505HP engine was ordained by God himself. Somehow, though, the attitude now is that the GT350's more powerful 5.2L 526HP engine is not even fit for a Toyota Yaris and will grenade itself after 20 miles. :shrug:

Bahahaha really!?!? Mildly modified c6z's go 10s at next to 130 mph.

The only and I mean ONLY area the LS7 is similar to the voodoo is that theyre both NA.

Those two motors are nothing alike and its ridiculous that you chose to compare them.

A better comparison for the sake of your argument would have been the Honda F20C (an epic motor in its own regard).

LOL. 9 more lb/ft than the GT at a higher RPM.

And for what its worth.. the GT lacks torque too. They both desperately need more.

At least the Coyote wont rattle your fillings out when you try to go for a Sunday cruise.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Didn't the LS7 drop valves?

Yep and they still do if not addressed.

Doesn't the voodoo drink oil like a first year sailor and rattle your teeth like a 1930s Mueller belt?

Not sure what the point is... No motor is perfect. Some better/worse than others.

Users who are viewing this thread