• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Looking for GT350 Owners' Feedback on the car...

Discussion in '2015+ Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by Max97COBRAtkd, Oct 8, 2018.

1. jvandy50

jvandy50 Active Member Established Member

hey man i'm still coming to terms with it lol. after 5 mustangs, i feel i was basically pushed to look at other brands. and i know the other brand dealers will be hit or miss also, i'm fully prepared to start buying vehicles that are out of warranty so i can tinker and really have fun. but the 350 was too unique and finicky to do the things i wanted to do. i feel like a whipple on one would be perfect, as i don't have a road course near me...but no freaking way after one motor failing stock that i'd roll the dice on a 17.5k motor.

the oil consumption and failed motors on these is a very real thing, if you spend a lot of time on the forums and facebook you will see. there are plenty of people who didn't just hop online to tell their horror story, they are longstanding members or had been in the group awhile. i'm unsure why people want to defend it so much, or make up these fake acceptable failure statistics...my personal favorite is "less than 1% failure rate"...fact is, no one knows. however, if you can do math and have common sense you'll know there's no way it's less than 1% lol.

even if you were so unlucky, ford will fix it. but the process takes months if it's oil consumption. one fella with an R catastrophic failure on track had his car back and motor replaced in like 6-7 business days, that's not too bad at all. but in the end you have a car with a "blemish". ford gave me an extended warranty of 7yr/100k miles and i literally had 2 people interested in my car over the course of a month it was for sale. car worked great, had a new lease on life, but the red flag and, ultimately, drop in value was very real.

Max97COBRAtkd likes this.
  2. Max97COBRAtkd

Max97COBRAtkd Well-Known Member Established Member

Very good insight and I appreciate your honesty response. I LOVE the interior and look of the car and judging by what people are saying, I would love driving it too. But I'm the type of person that would worry myself sick about it and it would always be in the back of my mind.

Thinking of keeping the Terminator and adding some nice seats, steering wheel, etc to it to give it that updated feel. At least I know the motor is built extremely well and has no major oil consumption issues and will all my mods is still decent in the curves. HAVE to update the interior a bit though, lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jvandy50 likes this.
  3. jvandy50

I'm not trying to scare you and chances are you wouldn't have an issue, they are one of my favorite cars to look at for sure. but for me, the voodoo truly lived up to it's name lol. i didn't even tell it bye when i traded, that was telling. (yes, i talk to my cars)

4. 08vapor500

08vapor500 Member Established Member

Switched from a 630RWHP 2011 Gt500 to a 16 350 and its been amazing so far. The 350 makes up the lack of power with how well it handles and the FPC sound.

5. Drewsky65

Drewsky65 Active Member Established Member

i have commented a lot on this in the past on this subject and even started a few threads on me coming from my old 2013 GT500 to a 350. After months and months of debate I made the choice and never looked back. the 350 is much more car than the trinity 500's are, they can do everything! i can go on and on and on about the why and pro's/cons, but tit seems like you have already done your research and are just selling yourself at this point haha.

also do NOT worry about the oil consumption.

WVTrakPak likes this.
  6. Drewsky65

on all the test drives prior to purchase this was my thoughts as well. I thought it was weak and had nothing compared to the 500 I had. Drive it for a week or two like you normally would your car now. you would not want to give it back! the comfort and technology alone are worth most things over the S197's it takes a min to understand the characteristics of the 350 and enjoy that it is a special car. its different in every way to the "muscle" cars out now. the 350 is not a muscle car, its much more than that.

7. Drewsky65

when you say "oil consumption out of nowhere" after 6k, what do you mean? how much was it actually eating compared to before?

8. gimmie11s

gimmie11s Dont be a Hybred Premium Member Established Member

Agree with all of that.

The s550 is a huge improvement over the s197. I love mine.

Drewsky65 likes this.
  9. jvandy50

I was checking the oil level more often than usual because i’d read about some having the issue. I expected it to use some, and wasn’t worried about it. I never had to add any, but my catch can did seem to fill up quite a bit faster than my coyote...no biggie.

But at 6500 miles i needed half quart, then was adding more and more every time i checked. So the miles per quart was increasing rapidly. By 9k it was right under 500 miles per quart and by the time it was replaced, 12k, was about 300 miles per....

10. Drewsky65

Interesting, and I don’t mean to hijack this thread because there is hundreds of post here on this subject, but we’re the miles tracked or anything? I am noticing mine taking about 1/2 qt per 7-800 miles and I am just about at 4K miles on it now. I drive it HARD but no actual track miles yet. I have heard the AMSoil will actually eliminate this problem all together as well, I plan on making that switch next time I need a change.

Back to the OP, as I said above. Don’t worry about the oil consumption on making a decision on an amazing car. It’s just what these things do. It’s a 13:1 compression race engine designed to live between 5-8k rpm all day long ! It will drink a little oil and it’s ok

11. jvandy50

No tracking, but not a babied show car either. Broken in properly and always warmed up before getting on it. The rpm were kept higher than usual because that’s what the car likes. But nothing changed throughout my ownership, besides something internally. I have a curvy country road commute, so my cars get a workout...but nothing like tracking still. I get pulled over often lol.

12. Drewsky65

about the same driving I do then.