Looking for feedback from MGW shifter owners

Cobranator

Established Member
I've had an aftermarket shifter on my car for years now and I've always found it to be notchy when shifting gears so after doing a lot of reading I've decided to get a MGW shifter ...with the comfort handle....since everybody raved about it how great it is.

After installation the throws are shorter and more precise than with my other shifter however I still find the shifts to by notchy and to a degree even more than my previous shifter. Could be my imagination who knows ..LOL. I'm wondering now if I made the right decision and didn't just waste my money.

So I'm wondering if you guys that have the MGW have the same notchy feeling as I do when shifting.

Or is it just the nature of the T45 and nothing will improve the shifting.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the MGW will break in a little bit but as you mentioned the trans and shifter together determine how it feels. I don't have any T45 experience, I was never truly comfortable/confident with the 3650. To me the 3650 was always notchy and required a lot of shift effort, especially at higher rpms.

Tillerman77

Established Member
I've had an MGW (Comfort handle now, used to be a Standard) with T45 combination for a couple of years. It is notchy and requires a firm throw. I like the combination much better than the stock shifter though.
If you are hoping for a "shifts like butter" feel, I doubt you will get it with the T45 regardless of shifter used. As far as I am concerned, it is bit of that old school experience/charm, like the 60s and early 70s muscle cars had minus the super heavy clutch. Sure, I have owned smoother shifter and tranny combinations ('02 SVTF and an '11 MS3, both with 6 speeds), but I don't mind it at all when driving my '97.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good posts above! Often, a shifter is hyped to be the cure-all for pretty much any transmission. Even the best shifter may not work out to the full satisfaction of the car owner. The transmission and clutch are key, as is the age/condition of the transmission. I'd wait a couple of weeks to see if a sufficient amount of the notchy feeling you're experiencing disappears as the shifter breaks in.

Cobranator

Established Member
Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I will have to just get used to it. I like the fact that the throws are shorter and more precise than with my previous aftermarket shifter.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I went from a Pro 5.0 to a MGW and love it. I was always a fan of the Pro 5.0, but the MGW is a few steps above.
It may feel a bit notchy with my T45, but it's probably more the trans than it is the shifter.

What I'd really like to try is the MGW race handle. Waiting for one to pop up for sale.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
Just installed an MGW on the wife's 07 Shelby GT500 and it's quite the difference from whatever garbage the PO had installed on it before. Highly recommend for sure!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I will have to just get used to it. I like the fact that the throws are shorter and more precise than with my previous aftermarket shifter.
And with that, you can be settled going forward.

Cobranator

Established Member
Just wanted to update this.

Bought a new nylon insert that the end of the shifter fits into in the transmission and it made a huge difference. The old one was worn somewhat and it caused some slop in the movement of the shifter. Much improved shifting, dare I say almost smooth T45. The shifts are precise and solid. Haven't missed a gear yet which I have in the past. The MGW is on another level than my previous shifter.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I am of the opinion that every T45 is a little bit different, especially at this age.

The MGW in my Dad's car feels noticeably notchier than the Steeda Tri-Ax in mine, but not by a whole lot. Maybe I'm just more used to mine.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I've had a B&M Ripper Shifter in my 98 for 11 years but my 01 has an MGW wit the 3650 trans. I seem to prefer the shifting of the 01 so I have been considering getting a MGW for the 98 T45 to see if there is an improvement.

Tillerman77

Established Member

Bought a new nylon insert that the end of the shifter fits into in the transmission and it made a huge difference. The old one was worn somewhat and it caused some slop in the movement of the shifter. Much improved shifting, dare I say almost smooth T45. The shifts are precise and solid. Haven't missed a gear yet which I have in the past. The MGW is on another level than my previous shifter.
+1. I did this as well at the time of installation of the MGW.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've had a B&M Ripper Shifter in my 98 for 11 years but my 01 has an MGW wit the 3650 trans. I seem to prefer the shifting of the 01 so I have been considering getting a MGW for the 98 T45 to see if there is an improvement.

I went through two Pro 5.0 shifters on my 98. I really liked their product, but after installing the MGW, it's no contest.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Thanks for the update. Did you discover the slightly worn nylon insert on your own? Such a simple fix and it appears to have solved your previous minor issues. That and the normal break-in time for the MGW.

Cobranator

Established Member
Thanks for the update. Did you discover the slightly worn nylon insert on your own? Such a simple fix and it appears to have solved your previous minor issues. That and the normal break-in time for the MGW.

Yes I did on my own. I knew the T45 wasn't the slickest shifting transmission in the world but by the same token it shouldn't be as notchy as mine was especially after putting in a MGW shifter. Everything I read about the MGW was all positive so it got me thinking that maybe something else was the culprit for the notchy feel. The only other variable was the nylon insert so I figured I don't have much to loose by getting a new one and lo and behold it solved the issue.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Oh yeah, I should mention, whichever shifter you buy, make sure you re-install all of the sound deadening foam that was there to begin with, and buy some of @CobraBob's gaskets. Worth every penny of the $20 or so he's asking.

Users who are viewing this thread