Looking for engine ground(WB install)

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Where is a good place on our cars to ground on the engine block? I am installing a wide band(LC1) and using a terminal block to run all my ground wires to individually. Now I need to run my main ground wire to my terminal strip under my dash. Is the negative battery post/cable an option?

HASFANGS

Established Member
Everything I read said this was of the utmost importance, so I grounded right to the engine block. There is a tapped hole just to the rear of the DS engine mount, which I connected to using a wire eyelet, washer and 3/8" bolt. Hope this helps!

black 10th vert

Established Member
This must be what I did wrong when I installed my wide band commander! I have it grounded to the metal framework under the dash. What happens is that it will only work sometimes, then other times the needle just stays pegged at the bottom. I guess I'll have to re-do the grounds.

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Everything I read said this was of the utmost importance, so I grounded right to the engine block. There is a tapped hole just to the rear of the DS engine mount, which I connected to using a wire eyelet, washer and 3/8" bolt. Hope this helps!

Yes it does. I'll jack the car back up tomorrow and look for it.:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Post up your results here for the benefit of Black 10th Vert.

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This must be what I did wrong when I installed my wide band commander! I have it grounded to the metal framework under the dash. What happens is that it will only work sometimes, then other times the needle just stays pegged at the bottom. I guess I'll have to re-do the grounds.

Brian,I should have told you,i moved my grounds to the battery terminal quite a while ago,responds so much faster.I did this because Justin@VMP said it was responding slow in my logs I was sending him.I never had any of the problems your describing though.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Brian,I should have told you,i moved my grounds to the battery terminal quite a while ago,responds so much faster.I did this because Justin@VMP said it was responding slow in my logs I was sending him.I never had any of the problems your describing though.

Brad, thanks for posting this! I actually re-did my grounds yesterday, and it works perfectly now. That was definitely the issue. I had used a stainless 1/4" bolt with lock washers to the bare metal framework near the radio, thinking that it would be adequate - I was obviously wrong! Yesterday, I installed an 8 position terminal block under that area, and ran a 10 gauge ground wire to a stainless bolt into the engine block. Now I have a perfect, convenient grounding point to attach any new electronics that I may choose to add in the future. I'm just glad that I addressed this before the w/b sensor got damaged, or something!

Brian

Last edited:

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Thanks for posting this! I actually re-did my grounds yesterday, and it works perfectly now. That was definitely the issue. I had used a stainless 1/4" bolt with lock washers to the bare metal framework near the radio, thinking that it would be adequate - I was obviously wrong! Yesterday, I installed an 8 position terminal block under that area, and ran a 10 gauge ground wire to a stainless bolt into the engine block. Now I have a perfect, convenient grounding point to attach any new electronics that I may choose to add in the future. I'm just glad that I addressed this before the w/b sensor got damaged, or something!

Brian

Thats exactly what I'm doing. I took some pics for anyone who does a search down the road. Does the BLACK(calibration) wire from the LC1 go to the power source?

black 10th vert

Established Member
Mike,
Sorry, I can't help with your setup, I have the WBC, not the LC-1. At least I can bump the topic back up for ya, though!;-)

zankylen

Established Member
how did it go?
My l1 is acting funky also. I grounded it to the fuse panel bolts underneath the drivers side. For a power source i used the number 1 slot (power for cig lighter). logworks gauge jumps all over the place.

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
how did it go?
My l1 is acting funky also. I grounded it to the fuse panel bolts underneath the drivers side. For a power source i used the number 1 slot (power for cig lighter). logworks gauge jumps all over the place.

Might want to find a new place to ground. Some people are having good luck grounding there, others had some problems. I didn't want to take any chances. I ended up sending my unit back to be fixed. Had a "little technical difficulty". It's so much easier to run a terminal strip right to the engine block and just use it for all your grounds.JMO. 3/8 bolt, 10ft or less ground wire, 1 terminal strip, 1 loop connector. Didn't even cost $10. Engine already has threaded hole. I got pics If you need them.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Might want to find a new place to ground. Some people are having good luck grounding there, others had some problems. I didn't want to take any chances. I ended up sending my unit back to be fixed. Had a "little technical difficulty". It's so much easier to run a terminal strip right to the engine block and just use it for all your grounds.JMO. 3/8 bolt, 10ft or less ground wire, 1 terminal strip, 1 loop connector. Didn't even cost $10. Engine already has threaded hole. I got pics If you need them.

For everyone elses reference,post the pics Mike.

zankylen

Established Member
yea i would like to see that. I thought about doing the same in the past, but i didnt know where to get a terminal strip.

What kind of tech,problems where you having?

Jefe

Established Member
Please as many pics as possible. One of these days Im going to install my LC1

black 10th vert

Established Member
Mine works about 80% more reliably that it did before, now that I ran a good ground wire to the block. I think that I'll run another ground wire from that bolt on the block, directly to the battery negative, like Brad mentioned above. That should make it 100% reliable. I mounted a terminal block under the radio area of the dash so that I could not only ground my W/B, but also my new stereo, and any other stuff I decide to add in the future. That block has a single 10g. wire going to the tapped hole behind the driver's side engine mount. It's amazing how sensitive some of these devices are without a perfect ground!

Users who are viewing this thread