Looking for axle back recommendation...

dawsonxp

Owned my GT 500 for about 3 years now. Just purchased tuner, air intake, Ford Racing throttle body. So many axle backs available, not sure what to purchase. It's not a daily driver, but like to take road trips in it so I don't want obnoxious loud. I enjoy the stock sound; just want a little more. Thinking Roush or Ford Racing axle backs. Really enjoy old school throaty roar; not raspy. Certainly entertain all opinions out there. Thanks in advance.

dawsonxp

On my 08 I have borla touring. Quite quite at cruise but hammer and it is LOUD. But I also have a OR H pipe.

Copy that. LTH seems a little more affordable for a trial run haha. Surely I can find slightly used ones in the market... Will going to an OR H pipe increase the rumble on the stock GT 500 mufflers?

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Do not know about the rumble but it will be louder. Going to a H over a X will take away the raspiness that the X has. More of a deeper tone. I went to stock with borlas and it made it better. Then went to OR H and better still.

mikes35

Established Member
I had stock - too quiet. I had MAC's - sounded good but had a bad drone. Bought KR's and they are quite possibly the best sounding mufflers I've ever had. Quiet when you are just cruising but they really open up when you are running it hard. No drone, I think they are the absolute best of both worlds.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
They bolt right to stock headers. BUT if you have a early model DO NOT forget the reducer inserts that go on there. I believe these are made for later model that have larger pipes so with the early smaller pipes you need the reducer. Hardest part I had was getting the sensor off the pass side exhaust pipe. Just no way to get your hand up in there to un clip it. I ended up unscrewing the sensor, removing the exhaust then un clipping the sensor.

Sielmo

Established Member
really liked my FR mufflers with the stock setup...would not recommend if you plan on headers etc, as its ridiculously loud. Borla Touring is the quietest if you plan on changing the rest of the exhaust.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mavisky

Established Member
really liked my FR mufflers with the stock setup...would not recommend if you plan on headers etc, as its ridiculously loud. Borla Touring is the quietest if you plan on changing the rest of the exhaust.

Agreed. I knew it would be too loud but I tried my KR's with a Lethal off road X-Pipe for giggles and I can confirm it is insane levels of loud. I swear it was actually quieter at WOT than it was about about 1/3 throttle. Got home and pulled them off and shipping them out to their new owner this week. Great with cats, but without they don't do much in noise attenuation. They're about as loud as no mufflers, but they just clean up drone and unnecessary noise.

Sielmo

Established Member
Agreed. I knew it would be too loud but I tried my KR's with a Lethal off road X-Pipe for giggles and I can confirm it is insane levels of loud. I swear it was actually quieter at WOT than it was about about 1/3 throttle. Got home and pulled them off and shipping them out to their new owner this week. Great with cats, but without they don't do much in noise attenuation. They're about as loud as no mufflers, but they just clean up drone and unnecessary noise.
Headers, H pipe, and Borla T's

Stock exhaust with headers, H pipe

spectreman

Established Member
No question- 0n 07-09 GT500's-

FR500S muffflers (sometimes referred to as KR500 mufflers) + a Shelby H pipe. Best sounding exhaust combo I've ever had on a car. Deep, rumbly but ZERO drone.

And screw the headers. Ain't worth the time/$$/effort IMHO for 25-30 HP.

Nulltime

Established Member
Flowmaster Outlaw's here. Take a few months (~3k miles for me) to break in and mellow out but love them. Louder than hell around 4k RPM hehe. Deep and mellow below that.

Users who are viewing this thread