Looking for a new insurance company.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Here's my situation I just picked up a 98 Chrome Yellow Cobra in amazing condition. I never planned on driving this thing daily, I have another mustang for that duty. So I was hoping to qualify for collecters insurance of some sort. The problem is I cant seem to find anyone that will accept me because I havent had a license long enough, (17 had for 3 years), or my car isn't valued high enough. I can always get insurance through the same company that insures the rest of my families vehicles, but even with me being on my parents plan I'm still looking at about $250 a month, just for the Cobra. Anybody know any companies that might accept me?

hunterp

Established Member
You're basically the worst nightmare of an insurance company, young with a relatively high-powered car. You're going to end up paying a lot no matter where you end up. Just the way it is.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
The 20 year old that I sold my Mach to ended up getting ride of it. His monthly loan payment plus his auto insurance, gas and other expenses put him near a $1,000 a month. I don't know how much he made a month but I would guess it was south of $2,000.

mustanginky

Established Member
ya your age sucks. see if one of your parents will allow you on their insurance, put them as a primary on the car and you as a secondary. that's what i did when i was 16, and it was much much cheaper that way lol.

carnut101

Established Member
ya your age sucks. see if one of your parents will allow you on their insurance, put them as a primary on the car and you as a secondary. that's what i did when i was 16, and it was much much cheaper that way lol.

Most insurance companies I've dealt with automatically assign the highest risk driver to the highest risk car, unless you sign a document specifically refusing coverage for that driver on that car.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
I am 36 and tried the same thing. I wanted to add a third car to my policy so the cobra would be a weekend car, rate would not change on the cobra. So I asked if its a weekend car why won't the rate be lower, they said they offer no discounts for pleasure vehicles. Its bullshit, a weekend car should be no more than a couple hundred a year.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Probably the best option right here. I did that years ago and I was still paying 140 or so a month on my old 91 GT. This was back in 98-99.

Live Wire

Established Member
When I was 20, I leased a new Ford Ranger, single cab 4cyl. My lease payment was $160/mo, my insurance was $200/mo with zero tickets... and that was after shopping around for a "decent" payment. It sucks... whatever you do, just keep your record clean.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member

Ill have to see if there's such thing as a primary vehicle, right now im looking at close to 350 a month! I could use a break.

Bronze123

Established Member
I am 36 and tried the same thing. I wanted to add a third car to my policy so the cobra would be a weekend car, rate would not change on the cobra. So I asked if its a weekend car why won't the rate be lower, they said they offer no discounts for pleasure vehicles. Its bullshit, a weekend car should be no more than a couple hundred a year.

That is BS, storing a vehicle during winter will dramatically lower the cost of the insurance. so hows that different from a weekend vehicle?:rolleyes:

CPRsm

You need to put it as a secondary car, and have proof of it. You don't need a collectors policy really. You need the lowest mileage they will allow you to carry and get and an agreed value on the car. Agreed is important, and different than you telling them is worth "X". Agreed value means that's what they will pay you if it's lost, totaled, etc. Collectors insurance is usually if not always cheaper, but won't let you do things like drive more than 3-4k a year. if it's gets stolen in a parking lot, you're SOL. It's only covered in your garage, things like that. Look into it a little farther and you might find you don't want collectors.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
You need to put it as a secondary car, and have proof of it. You don't need a collectors policy really. You need the lowest mileage they will allow you to carry and get and an agreed value on the car. Agreed is important, and different than you telling them is worth "X". Agreed value means that's what they will pay you if it's lost, totaled, etc. Collectors insurance is usually if not always cheaper, but won't let you do things like drive more than 3-4k a year. if it's gets stolen in a parking lot, you're SOL. It's only covered in your garage, things like that. Look into it a little farther and you might find you don't want collectors.

Thats about all the cars gonna see in a year is 3-4K, Ill look into listing the vehicle as a secondary vehicle tomorrow. How would I go about getting a high agreed value? I'd like to cover mods in said value.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

yes lets commit fraud in order to get insurance at rates we are not entitled to. Well done. your momma must be proud.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

you need to find yourself a new insurance company. BOTH of my cars are listed as pleasure and driven less than 5,000 miles per yer. American National Insurance Company FTW!

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Thats about all the cars gonna see in a year is 3-4K, Ill look into listing the vehicle as a secondary vehicle tomorrow. How would I go about getting a high agreed value? I'd like to cover mods in said value.

Dont let them **** you. Find whatever loophole you can and jump right through it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Most insurance companies I've dealt with automatically assign the highest risk driver to the highest risk car, unless you sign a document specifically refusing coverage for that driver on that car.

That is true, but some insurance companies (like Allstate) won't allow you specifically refuse coverage for a driver on a specific vehicle. I tried it once.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
you need to find yourself a new insurance company. BOTH of my cars are listed as pleasure and driven less than 5,000 miles per yer. American National Insurance Company FTW!

I may just do that, farmers ftl. I am going to call the one you listed, thanks.

CPRsm

You just have to ask them about it. Mercury insurance has been good to me. Allstate can sit on a pineapple, sideways

Users who are viewing this thread