Looking for a new daily, help me pick.

Defknotzero

Established Member
Currently, I just moved to Washington (Seattle) in may from Illinois. I have made a few friends and what not already and one of them I have been car shopping with for the last few weeks. That got me thinking that I would like to get a new car as well. I just got a new job that is approximately 100 miles away (round trip) but pays good.

So I started looking around and test driving certain things. I test drove the focus ST which was pretty awesome but I don't think I want to deal with a MT in traffic for this long commute. Actually, come to think of it, the only ford that I would probably get and that interests me would be the ST.

I've test drove the following:

2014 VW GTI w/ DSG trans
2014 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen
2014 Ford Focus ST
2014 Ford Focus Titanium
2014 Mazda 3 (5-door Hatch)
2014 Toyota Tacoma (No idea why)

So far, my favorites are the VW's. The GTI was fun and very spacious with a nice interior. The TDI sportwagen was a blast as well. Especially with the Diesel. Also, from what I have been researching, the TDI mpg is underrated (people have been getting anywhere from 35-50 mpg on them).

What do y'all think? I'm open to other options that I have not checked out yet.

Here are some pics of the two VW's that I looked at.

EX-Volkswagen_Jetta_Sportwagen_2010_TDI_rfq-lo3.jpg

2014_volkswagen_gti_white_cd_single_disc_cargo_cover_99434027665390832.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
2014 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen - Black out the windows and a suspension drop it will look sweet.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I commute about 90 miles a day. I switch back and forth between the GTO and SHO. Whatever you decide get something you want to be in, as you'll be in it a good part of your life.

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
VW might bring the GTD (diesel GTI) to the States, problem solved!

GTI would be more fun but TDI will suit you better due to the commute.

nxhappy

Established Member
why not a civic or camry ? VWs are overpriced pieces of crap IMO.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Hellcat/thread

Not a fan of vws so ill go with an st even if the mileage takes a hit

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The new GTI makes great power with an APR tune. Just over 300 IIRC. Don't blame you for not wanting to deal with a manual on a long commute. It's a pain in the ass, I would never do it again.

jmsa540

Established Member
I say automatic, I bought a 99 Metro because of this, car runs like a champ, too! On a side note, get what makes you happy, you'll be making the car payments not us on this here forums.

bglf83

Established Member
I have a 2012 TDI. My mileage is around 42 in the summer and 40 in the winter. 60 mile round trip commute.

Would it just be you driving? I would consider other drivers if there are any. Putting gas in a diesel is an expensive mistake.

I like the car. 65k, no issues. My dealer sucks, I would consider the Audi A3 coupe for a little more. Dealer is probably better....

Users who are viewing this thread