Looking for a daily driver... Crown Vic or Cobra?

prez1967

Established Member
Looking for a new daily driver and considering a few options.

I've always liked the idea of a Crown Victoria Sport (03-04) as a comfortable daily driver. I"m 6'6" and these land barges offer plenty of comfort and certainly can rack up the miles.

The inner hot rodder inside me however thinks I may get bored of it. Currently I daily drive a 2006 Expedition so I suppose anything will be an improvement in terms of "fun" but then theres always the side of me that wants a Cobra.

94-95? 96-98? 01?

I have had a 1993 Mustang Gt for the past 15 years, and its not going anywhere. I have plenty of spare parts laying around so a 1994-95 Cobra wouldnt introduce too much of a learning curve in terms of regular maintenance. The 1996-01 cars would certainly offer more power, but I also know nothing about how these motors can handle the miles or if the more complicated motor setup is worth it for a daily driver. I'm a big fan of the styling of the 2001 cars and the IRS should be more "comfortable" but again, i've never really put serious thought into this.

Originally my budget for a CV Sport would have been around $5k, give or take. I imagine an early Cobra could be picked up for around that price point while the later cars may have to dip into the bank a bit more.

The secondary issue, is my size. Ultimately i'll be the only one using the car but I do have two boys (and a wife). We have SUVs for hauling the family around but should I need to take the kids anywhere (one is almost two years old and the other a newborn) it would be alot tighter. My daily comfort is the main concern, family hauling would only be an issue in a pinch, should I not have time to grab one of our other cars.

Suggestions? Tips? Deep down I know the Crown Vic would be the smarter buy, but I cant help but wonder if the grass would be greener entering into SVT ownership.

prez1967

Established Member
4V Cobra with snow tires for winter

I'll still have my Expedition for bad weather events. The Expy has ~150K on it right now, i've owned it for 5 years and racked up 110k miles on it in that time. I'd like for it to last longer, preventing me from needing to pony up $$$ to buy another full size SUV that I dont necessarily need 5 days out of the week.

What kind of durability can I expect out of a 4V car vs an older 5.0 car? My logic of buying a "cheaper" daily driver only works if the car is reliable and doesnt need ridiculous maintenance. Of course theres no telling when a used car will grenade itself, but theoretically speaking...

nxhappy

Established Member
crown vic will be dead nuts reliable

only buy a cobra if it's gonna be a terminator lol

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Since the kids are young, look at a Mark VIII. Can be had in nice shape in your budget, will fit you (I'm 6'3, and a friend who is 6'7 had one for years). Aside from a couple small differences it's a 96-98 Cobra 4v (stock LSC is 280hp), so plenty of get up in stock form.

Spudz

Established Member
I had nothing but good things to say about the '03 Vic I had for a bit. She had a bit of a miss, but changing out the spark plugs and boots fixed that up. The replacement parts were surprisingly cheap, and the engine is hella easy to work on given the ample room. Was an old cop car and had probably seen some nasty abuse. But she kept on truck'n to the point I sold the car when I moved out of state.

prez1967

Established Member
I hear the Crown Vics really wake up with a Marauder box, CVPI Zip Tube and a tune that modifies tranny function. I sure would prefer to have a manual transmission for the daily grind once again though.

The CV would be less of a project and more of a maintenance, wrenching adventure. Intake, exhaust, trak-loc rear upgrade and cruise

The Cobra would sit next to my 93GT and get fiddled with when time and money allow. I'd search for one that I really like and plan to keep it indefinitely.

Wife likes the Cobra idea as she despises the look of the CV. Shes ok with me picking one up but will probably never drive it. I figure with the Cobra, she could drive it to shows with one boy and I'll cruise in my 93GT with the other boy. So I'm leaning towards the Cobra option even though the CV makes more $$$ sense. My concerns are as listed above. I want to fit comfortably in it and Id like to know that if I pick up a 100K mile car, it still has (theoretically) ~50K left on it before it needs a serious overhaul of sorts.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I'll still have my Expedition for bad weather events. The Expy has ~150K on it right now, i've owned it for 5 years and racked up 110k miles on it in that time. I'd like for it to last longer, preventing me from needing to pony up $$$ to buy another full size SUV that I dont necessarily need 5 days out of the week.

What kind of durability can I expect out of a 4V car vs an older 5.0 car? My logic of buying a "cheaper" daily driver only works if the car is reliable and doesnt need ridiculous maintenance. Of course theres no telling when a used car will grenade itself, but theoretically speaking...
All the more reason to go Cobra. Take care of the 4V & it will take care of you like any other car. Never had issues with mine. I'd buy another in a second if I found the right deal.

prez1967

Established Member
For a Cobra I suppose the budget would logically have to extend towards the $10k mark. Theres always luck, but I'd pay more for the right car

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I had a 2001 before my terminator. It was damn reliable too. I DD that car except for really bad weather for six years. When I sold it, it had almost 150k on it and ran like a top. Still had the original clutch too. The 01 interior is nicer than the 94-99 cars and I personally liked the IRS.

prez1967

Established Member
It just dawned on me that a 94-95 Cobra would probably be my best bet, should I go that route, as it would be classified as Historic in my state and not require emissions testing. Also I have a spare 5.0 engine and T-5 tranny laying around my garage already :)

Of course a 2001 32V with IRS is verrry tempting. Bah!

Users who are viewing this thread