Looking at a gt500, a question

Thabeast

Established Member
This will be my first gt500. I have been looking at a couple of low mile cars (2-4000 mi). I was wondering if dried out seals and gaskets should be a concern or if it would be a concern in the near future on a car with that lower mileage.

nxhappy

Established Member
theoretically ANY car that has been sitting for a while could have dry gaskets or seals.

IMO it's better to buy a car that has been driven more but well maintained.

Sirraf

Established Member
I doubt it. If the car is in good shape, I'd say the person regularly started it up to keep the battery charged, or took it on a short sprint once in a while. I wouldn't worry much about the seals unless it was a 10 year or older car.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If you plan on drving it regularly when you buy it, It shouldnt be that big of a deal. Seals within the last 10 years are fairly robust, and the fact your target cars have at least SOME measurable miles, you should be fine. I bought my Shelby with 14,899 on the clock, and just under a year later she has 23,000 miles.

Just know these cars are meant to be driven and maintained. Really, the maintenance is supremely easy. Lol, its when the mod bug hits (and usually it hits hard) that you start noticing that you're going harder into the car than a stocker and maintain car. :D

Good luck, let us know if you have any q's. :D

Thabeast

Established Member
If you plan on drving it regularly when you buy it, It shouldnt be that big of a deal. Seals within the last 10 years are fairly robust, and the fact your target cars have at least SOME measurable miles, you should be fine. I bought my Shelby with 14,899 on the clock, and just under a year later she has 23,000 miles.

Just know these cars are meant to be driven and maintained. Really, the maintenance is supremely easy. Lol, its when the mod bug hits (and usually it hits hard) that you start noticing that you're going harder into the car than a stocker and maintain car. :D

Good luck, let us know if you have any q's. :D

I have every intention of driving & enjoying the car, at least on nice days. I already have the mod bug, selling my pushrod cobra because when I started adding up what it was going to cost to put a blown coyote in it the total made me look for a gt500

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I have every intention of driving & enjoying the car, at least on nice days. I already have the mod bug, selling my pushrod cobra because when I started adding up what it was going to cost to put a blown coyote in it the total made me look for a gt500

The one problem you WILL run into, that everyone has failed to mention, is all the attention you will get with your new Shelby.
Men and children will stop whatever they are doing, smile and stare as you drive by.

My wife just laughs when I take her for rides because we are always getting the thumbs up from total strangers we pass by. :thumbsup:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

The one problem you WILL run into, that everyone has failed to mention, is all the attention you will get with your new Shelby.
Men and children will stop whatever they are doing, smile and stare as you drive by.

My wife just laughs when I take her for rides because we are always getting the thumbs up from total strangers we pass by. :thumbsup:

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
hillarysmirk.jpg

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
You won't have any problems with seals or anything else, in a low mileage well maintained GT500. I mean I guess if the car is kept in a 200* dry heat oven all summer long, maybe you should worry a little, but otherwise a good low mileage car is a great idea. Even if you decided to drive the car and enjoy it on the road, you start out with lower mileage and therefore a better resale value if you decide to move on from it.
My car is a 10' that just barely turned 10k miles before going away for it's 6th winter hibernation and I have not one issue with leaking seals, gaskets or any other "not being driven" related problems.

Low mileage does not automatically mean better maintained or less beat on though. Look for common wear indicators like tires, rubber in the quarter wells, torn or worn lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, etc... I know guys that have 3-4k miles on their 07-09' GT500's but almost all of those miles are put on at a 1/4 mile at a time... LOL

Thabeast

Established Member
thanks for the advice guys. After talking to a couple of friends I decided to just go find a 13/14. I bought a 2014 red w/white stripe convertible this morning. Completely stock, 1500 mi, performance pack, nav & electronics package. Will bring her home after the Cobra is picked up...still havent decided if I'm gonna tell the wife before I bring it home or just park it in the Cobra's spot and see if she notices

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Definitely a good move if you can afford it. The 13/14 is a whole nother animal and basically comes stock with most of the things you'd eventually want to add to a 07-12 anyway. Good move! Congrats on the buy bro, enjoy that beast!

Users who are viewing this thread