longtube install.. as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Longtube install on ramps.... holy smokes that sucked. But its in and so are the 47lb injectors.

Ok so heres the setup

Jba 1 7/8 longtubes to a jba catted h

To pypes 3 inch catback which consists of m80 midmount mufflers and the pypes resonated tips.

Above 3000 it sounds blatty. With the windows up it sounds great but with the windows down i can hear it.

Is it because im using a h pipe with straight through mufflers?

I remember hearing the rule of thumb being x pipe with straight mufflers and a h pipe with chambered mufflers.

I also still have my prochamber mid. Should i put that in instead... or just buy gt500 mufflers

Any input is appreciated
Thank you.

aircare84

Established Member
I'd suggest the GT-500 mufflers.
I installed LT's with no cats & straight-thru mufflers on my 06 GT. Did not have a good sound. Re-installed the stock mufflers & found a good balance with that set up. Had vids on You Tube if they are still around.

Ribossman

Established Member
How hard was the install time tools more than one person did you have to cut or mod anything to fit. I am putting on kooks full exhaust next month so I'm curious thanks

sadil

Established Member
I spoke to American Racing Headers and they recommended an 18" minimum clearance for the LT install. They also were very keen to note that raising the engine is not necessary.

el jefa 302, if you have some extra cash, why not get the Borla ATAKs? They dont have a raspy sound, no drone, and offer a deeper tone.

I have been trying to decide on an exhaust for months, but cannot decide if I want straight pipe or muffler.

Sarosh

walked_u_hard

Established Member
I'd say its your H pipe thats causing the nasty sound. Here is a clip of my car, LT's, catted x pipe, and pipes cat back. Its a very smooth sounding exhaust setup, IMO its not choppy at all. Throw out the prochamber and get a x pipe, itll sound a lot better.

[youtube_browser]ueHlCXKiUMQ[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

el jefe 302

Established Member
How hard was the install time tools more than one person did you have to cut or mod anything to fit. I am putting on kooks full exhaust next month so I'm curious thanks

Install took about a day. Basic hand tools.

It was just me. Put the front on ramps and unbolted the motor mounts and raised the engine about two inches.

Don't get me wrong, its going to be a pain in the butt. Just keep calm and drive on.

Everything bolted right up. Nothing leaks or rubs. I used factory ford header gaskets.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
How does it sound at wot?

Do you have a video of a wot pull?

Thank you.

Unfortunately no, not right now. I cant go WOT unless im in 4th, 1-2-3 just spin. I was shifting right at 3k in the video, and i started in 2nd gear. It sounds basically the same, smooth, just louder and a little higher pitched.

el jefe 302

Established Member
I put the stock over axle pipes and mufflers back in.

Man it's so quiet.... But I can deal with it until I get a X pipe.

el jefe 302

Established Member
Catted X pipe ordered. Thanks lethal.

I have a base aed tune for datalogging and man its miles above the steeda and bama tunes i use to run.

This motor at 8000rpm :uh oh:

Hopefully it will be here by the weekend and i can resume datalogging.

I can't wait to be able to run E85 :beer:

08GOGT

Established Member

Let us know how yours goes. I plan on doing kooks 1 7/8" O/R X and the Kooks 3" cat back within the next couple months. Hope it's easier than my 08 was, but doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread