Longer oil change intervals?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
What's up svtp?

I run amsoil ss 10w30 oil. I normally just change the oil once a year. Has anyone gone longer? Like once every two years?

I seriously have 300-400 miles on this oil. Maybe instead of changing it in the spring, I'll hold off until next fall....
f5023bf5fa7b87336fc850061df3c30d.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

cobracide

Established Member
Every year, filter and Amsoil. I won't go any longer.

Edit: it's really minimal effort (the one actual thing I do on the car) and minimal expense for piece of mind. Oil is the lifeblood of the engine. I used to put 15-20k miles a year on it, now probably 5-10k at most. 130k miles on the clock and doesn't leak a drop of anything.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
As mentioned I would at least change the filter but if it only gets that little mileage it can be hell on it if it’s never spending extended time at operating temp to dry everything out

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I change oil & filter 2X/year. Just before I bubble it, then a couple weeks after I unbubble it.
I drive ~3k miles a year.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Great to hear what others are doing. I might as well make use of my newer 4 post lift and just do it. 3 of the 4 cars will need the oil changed.

The struggles...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Sprchd83

Established Member
Thanks for asking this. I was wondering too. Run royal purple and only put under 200 miles a year on it. Was questioning if it was necessary.

cobracide

Established Member
Just because you're not driving does not mean your oil is not absorbing moisture and oxidizing from the air. Even sealed bottles have a shelf life.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Just because you're not driving does not mean your oil is not absorbing moisture and oxidizing from the air. Even sealed bottles have a shelf life.
They do? Shit.
I have a case of Motorcraft oil that was my Dad's. I was never planning on using it, but I didn't think it really ever went bad.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
IIRC, somewhere in the Greasy Spoon forum, 2 of the SVTP lubrication experts stated that, as long as the container was sealed, oil was good forever.
That's what I've been operating to.

cobracide

Established Member
IIRC, somewhere in the Greasy Spoon forum, 2 of the SVTP lubrication experts stated that, as long as the container was sealed, oil was good forever.
That's what I've been operating to.
My references dispute that. Again, why gamble for such a relative pittance of cost compared to the alternative of using an expired product. Makes no sense.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Here it is:

FJohnny

Established Member
My oil sat in the ground for a few million years and seemed okay when I finally used it.

I'll still change it every year just in case.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You definitely could go longer, Brady, but I have a feeling you'll decide for peace of mind to stick with an annual oil/filter change. Heck, since you have that lift, do all of your cars the same day. May as well use it. Then they're all good until the next year.

Users who are viewing this thread