Long tube headers

sideways snake

Hello all....new to the site, sorry if this question has a thread somewhere.
I have a 2011 GT500 and would like to put long tubes on it.
Does anyone know from experience the best long tubes to use which will not have to be removed to do the clutch?
What would the best be high flow cats or no cats? I don’t need to worry about emissions testing.
Thanks!

enormous

Established Member
My Ford dealer swapped my clutch on my 08 with SW LT's. I also run SW high flow cats and a recent inspection using a camera through the sensor hole revealed the cats in excellent condition after 20,000 miles .
740 HP and 720 TQ.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Something I learned along the way just in case you need it in the future,
the METCO driveshaft safety loop is the only loop I found that will work with KOOKS.
BMR and other brands did not clear (11/12)

I run American Racing Headers. Yes they need to be removed for clutch install.
I prefer them over Kooks.

MGWII shifter > Barton. Had them both

Last edited:

sideways snake

the METCO driveshaft safety loop is the only loop I found that will work with KOOKS.

Thanks for sharing those tips

mobeydick

Established Member

I have ARH so completely removed or the bolts loosened so they can be pushed to the side?

mobeydick

Established Member
Between the brace & the Barton shifter, a noticeable difference.
Also a noticeable difference in noise & vibration..
I've had the brace for a while just never installed it. I will when I have the clutch and Transmission fixed and replaced. I have the Shelby shifter installed and a MGW 1 I picked up about 10 years ago.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
What's the reason for the added transmission brace and under what conditions is it needed? Is it a simple bolt in process? make?
Works to solve the missed shift issues, not 100 % but helps.
Simple bolt on.

( CHE ) K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters Mustang (05-14 GT and 07-14 GT500)​

.....................................This CHE Performance 4 Point K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters for the 2005-14 Ford Mustang will add rigid support for both the front suspension and your driveline, significantly reducing missed shifts caused by the remote mounted shifter on manual transmission cars.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Poly engine mounts will do the same thing as bolting that monstrosity to the bell housing. The problem is the liquid filled engine mounts allowing too much engine movement under torque. Replacing them with poly eliminates that issue. I don't really trust putting a lateral load on bell housing bolt holes in an aluminum block. You will get some engine vibration going that route too.

I have ARH on my car and while I think you could pull the transmission without removing them, I did not do that. I removed the driver side header because I needed to remove the oil cooler/filter adapter for some other engine work that required taking the front timing cover off. I had already changed the clutch, I just changed to a later 2013 transmission. I think if you're going to install long tubes, just don't put cats on it, if no one is inspecting the car for such. It's still illegal to do that, but if there is no enforcement, why go through the expense. Be forewarned, the car will be super loud.

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I have ARH so completely removed or the bolts loosened so they can be pushed to the side?
see @Catmonkey response right above here ^^ good info
I do not do headers or clutches. I write the check. My shop removed the divers side

The loudness of the exhaust, that is subjective to each set of ears. I got numerous compliments with my setup for sounding old school muscle"ish"

sideways snake

Poly engine mounts will do the same thing as bolting that monstrosity to the bell housing. The problem is the liquid filled engine mounts allowing too much engine movement under torque. Replacing them with poly eliminates that issue. I don't really trust putting a lateral load on bell housing bolt holes in an aluminum block. You will get some engine vibration going that route too.

I have ARH on my car and while I think you could pull the transmission without removing them, I did not do that. I removed the driver side header because I needed to remove the oil cooler/filter adapter for some other engine work that required taking the front timing cover off. I had already changed the clutch, I just changed to a later 2013 transmission. I think if you're going to install long tubes, just don't put cats on it, if no one is inspecting the car for such. It's still illegal to do that, but if there is no enforcement, why go through the expense. Be forewarned, the car will be super loud.
How is the gas and exhaust smell inside the car without cats?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I only notice it when the car is in the garage with the windows down and sits there idling a while. It's almost always a cold start, so the a/f mixture will be a little richer than a fully warmed up engine. However, I don't think my sense of smell is that acute, for what that's worth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread