Long Tube Headers Hp gain With Cats

Kyle55

Established Member
My eyes are now set on some long tube or shorty headers. Looking at pypes, bbk, and jba cuz i don't want to drop 1000 plus on headers. Ive seen alot hp gains with x pipe and headers. Since i want to keep my cats wondering if anyone can tell me there gains with long tube headers while keeping there cats. Dyno graphs are a plus

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
with cats, you'll be looking around 20rwhp give or take a couple. on the less expensive brands the stainless power and pypes are probably the best buys being a 304 stainless header.

obviously the big boys are all nice, but more expensive. the mbrp are nice for the $$ to, they are going to be a 409 stainless header.

mpette

Established Member
with cats, you'll be looking around 20rwhp give or take a couple. on the less expensive brands the stainless power and pypes are probably the best buys being a 304 stainless header.

obviously the big boys are all nice, but more expensive. the mbrp are nice for the $$ to, they are going to be a 409 stainless header.

Do you need a tune to get that 20 horses? Also, the better stainless is 304.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Do you need a tune to get that 20 horses? Also, the better stainless is 304.

with cats, the car should be able to adapt the tune, but, you may still get some codes with the headers.

the 304 is the better stainless.

now, if you think at some point you could end up ditching them, the stainless power and works are the best option, as their modular system, the cats are completely separate from the mid pype, so your $50 or so away from having an offroad system.

I have a lot of guys that order the catted system and deletes at the same time, and run the deletes til it's time for needing the cats, then swap in, and swap back

Kyle55

Established Member
I don't want my stang to be raspy or obnoxiously loud and I'm afraid if i take the cats off this will happen

scott_0

Established Member
finally got some dyno numbers after my long tube install. firstly, the only mods are Pypes long tube stepped headers and their catted x-pipe. I went to Revolution Automotive in Rosedale Maryland (Baltimore) and Adam Browne worked his magic with one of his tunes. ended up with 412rwhp/395rwtq not earth shattering numbers but Im very happy, Adam said their dyno has never been accused of being a happy dyno so he said for the limited mods, these are solid numbers. I realize I could most likely have attained these numbers with a off road pipe, but I hate the stench of OR pipes, while the high flow cats dont knock all the stink out, its no where near as bad as with an OR pipe, besides the sound of long tubes is hard to beat, and the car picked up some decent low end and mid range

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I doubt you were giving up much with high-flow cats, those are usually 100-200 cell count and very free flowing. I had a modular bassani setup on my 03 cobra and could swap out cats/off-road segments in 20 mins. I literally only made 5 more hp on the dyno without the cats...

13GT5.0

Established Member
I doubt you were giving up much with high-flow cats, those are usually 100-200 cell count and very free flowing. I had a modular bassani setup on my 03 cobra and could swap out cats/off-road segments in 20 mins. I literally only made 5 more hp on the dyno without the cats...

This....the typical 200 cell cats are very good and maybe giving 4-5 hp is worth the no smell and rasp, imo.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I have BBK ceramic long tubes & catted X pipe... I'm very happy with them. I mainly kept the cats for sound, or lack of... I installed them at the same time as the supercharger, so I have no idea of HP gain...

scott_0

Established Member
This....the typical 200 cell cats are very good and maybe giving 4-5 hp is worth the no smell and rasp, imo.

there is still a hydrocarbon smell, it's just not nearly as strong as no cats, I'm happy

Users who are viewing this thread