Long Tube Header Fix With PICTURES! No More bad 02's!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Ok Ive been slacking on getting these pictures out. I was haveing problems on e85 within 150 miles I lost 3 02 sensors. So I swapped back to 91 octane and the problem went away. So I put some miles on with 91 octane and then had my 02 sensors relocated with new 02 sensor bungs at an angle.

Since relocating and going back to e85 I have put close to 700miles with no failure at all.

As you can tell from the picture the orignal bungs are capped and new bungs are welded at a wires up angle.

I could have had them angled alot more and choose just to angle enough for a difference.

20130608_160543 by spaded707, on Flickr

20130608_160552 by spaded707, on Flickr

20130608_160559 by spaded707, on Flickr

20130608_160609 by spaded707, on Flickr

20130608_160612 by spaded707, on Flickr

20130608_160615 by spaded707, on Flickr

-Thomas

FIFTY

Established Member
Nice Thomas, this will really help the pypes guys wanting to run e85, time to go fast;)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
OP, good post.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why the upward sloping (or horizontal flat) mounted sensors were causing failures. The S197 has factory wideband sensors from 2011+. All manufacturers will tell you to install a wideband sensor at a downward pointing angle to avoid damage to the sensor from condensation and other liquid/fuel dilutions. Preferably around 45*, but any angle with the sensor pointing down should do it. The sensor should be able to drain out any moisture away from the sensor.

Guess what E85 attracts the most......H20.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Were you getting codes and eating 02 sensors on regular fuel with the headers or just e85??

Yea If you search my username I had a very long post on my concerns I was haveing. I was haveing heater codes and stuck lean codes only on bank 2.

I would be able to tell when the sensor was going out before a CEL was on, It would start surgeing and hesitating around 2k-4k RPM's and you could also see it when datalogging.

Only had it eating 02 sensors on e85, but alot of people have had it on both.

OP, good post.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why the upward sloping (or horizontal flat) mounted sensors were causing failures. The S197 has factory wideband sensors from 2011+. All manufacturers will tell you to install a wideband sensor at a downward pointing angle to avoid damage to the sensor from condensation and other liquid/fuel dilutions. Preferably around 45*, but any angle with the sensor pointing down should do it. The sensor should be able to drain out any moisture away from the sensor.

Guess what E85 attracts the most......H20.

Yea alot of people have been haveing this concern with all types of long tube brands, but seems like im the only one to actually relocate them.

-Thomas

NickSezz

Established Member
Like this thread states, the widebands (not really called O2s) should be at a downward slope at the very least (best straight up pointed down). Another issue I see with the factory sensor location is that the sensor is located in between two of the primaries potentially blocking the correct flow to the sensor. Since the sensor was relocated at an angle in the collector lined with one of the primary tubes the sensor can be its job much better.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Like this thread states, the widebands (not really called O2s) should be at a downward slope at the very least (best straight up pointed down). Another issue I see with the factory sensor location is that the sensor is located in between two of the primaries potentially blocking the correct flow to the sensor. Since the sensor was relocated at an angle in the collector lined with one of the primary tubes the sensor can be its job much better.

Technically they are called HUEGO sensors, just easier to call them 02's since not everyone knows what an HUEGO sensor is.

-Thomas

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
No problem, hopefully this will help out alot of people with the issues of killing the upstream 02's.

-Thomas

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I was told by the pypes rep that it is normal that the drivers side is angled like that to clear automatic transmission linkage. Seems that there are other long tube brands that have something similiar going on with them also.

-Thomas

King gingy

DAM! looks like I'll have to go get this done....been running pypes for about a year no issues but its dry in AZ. I want to run E85 though, how much did you pay to have em relocated

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
My car threw the 2626 and 2191. I'm pretty sure that its due to the sensor placement. This is the second time I have gotten the 2626 code. Did you have any issues with the tune changing the sensor placement?

Users who are viewing this thread