Long time no post, lightning problem... least block isnt vented....

4a7191a

Established Member
Long short of it... after 30 mole drive home, come to my house. Left truck ldling, grabbed a jack n tools. Went to a by a buds house worked on his car. Fired truck up and never got above 50% throttle/50mph. All of the sudden sounded like it was on 6 cylinders. Pulled over and killed truck. Had fp and no sign of issues. Then truck would not start. Turned over and nothing. Mashed the throttle down snd the truck started up , revved to keep running then the idle was erratic. Drove truck back home even up to 75 on the freeway for about 10 miles. No issues. Parked truck and it does the no start unless mashing the throttle agian. Any ideas guys?

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
My guess is the IAC, maybe the TPS. Check voltage on TPS, and if that checks out good then it’s a safe bet to order a new IAC, which is probably what you’re going to have to do.

L-Bronco

Established Member
Sounds a bit like its over fueling, (WOT puts it in de-flood mode while cranking) See what the fuel press is, also check for codes if you can (KOEO and KOER.)
Should give you a place to start.
Good luck

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Long short of it... after 30 mole drive home, come to my house. Left truck ldling, grabbed a jack n tools. Went to a by a buds house worked on his car. Fired truck up and never got above 50% throttle/50mph. All of the sudden sounded like it was on 6 cylinders. Pulled over and killed truck. Had fp and no sign of issues. Then truck would not start. Turned over and nothing. Mashed the throttle down snd the truck started up , revved to keep running then the idle was erratic. Drove truck back home even up to 75 on the freeway for about 10 miles. No issues. Parked truck and it does the no start unless mashing the throttle agian. Any ideas guys?
Got a (MIL) or (CEL) indicator on? Scan the vehicle for fault codes?

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC (Professional, Quality and Honest business is my top priority)

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
Haven't fooled with it. No check engine lights. Finishing up headers on the 69 mercury cougar which is parked in the middle of the shop then I'll move it over and get the lightning in there. Shes under the car cover as always and never sees the sun like a goth kid.
Will let yall know when I get to it.
The gtr has ate up budget for a built motor if its something serious. :/

Dusten

Established Member
Inspect all the vacuum lines, since it occured so abruptly.

I wouldn't imagine it's a tps issue. That won't cause an erratic idle. But a quick datalog of the tps will tell you what you need there.

4a7191a

Established Member
For sure. Work and gtr been eating my time but I got the cooler changed. It was definitely bad. No coolant in thr oil thankfully too.

L-Bronco

Established Member
Haven't fooled with it. No check engine lights. Finishing up headers on the 69 mercury cougar which is parked in the middle of the shop then I'll move it over and get the lightning in there. Shes under the car cover as always and never sees the sun like a goth kid.
Will let yall know when I get to it.
The gtr has ate up budget for a built motor if its something serious. :/
Sorry, off topic, but, do you have any picts of the coug?
I'm restoring a 67 XR7 GT I've had for 40 yrs, I love those cars!

Users who are viewing this thread