Lone Star SVT On Track Days

haskett

Established Member
Anyone here go to the SVT On Track Days this past weekend at Texas Motor Speedway in Ft Worth ?

After many years of drag racing, this was my first road course driving, and it was a blast. I can see this becoming very habit forming, and cash dwindling. I drove the 03 like it was meant to be driven; very hard. After over 200 miles of racing between the two days, my tires are toast. :) I had problems with the brake fluid boiling over the first morning, but it eventually worked its way out of that condition. Me and two other 03 Cobra's had problems with drivers windows (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=172500#post172500), which was frustrating as I expect problems with brakes, tires, etc, but not things like windows. It was especially frustrating when I had to drive over 5 hours home with the window down and my family in the car with me.

Autocross was fun, but by far the most fun was had on the road course turning the brakes into putty. There's nothing like rambling down the straight at 100mph, and then nailing the brakes with just feet to spare to get around the curve. A couple of laps on the big oval were also fun.

Thanks to all of the volunteers there, and also to all of the friendly participants. Everyone I talked to had a blast, and I can see this event becoming more and more popular in future years.

See you next year!

sonic77

Established Member
Glad to hear some 03 owners are out on the track (road courses that is). I can't wait to get mine out on the track for the first time. Hopefully once before winter if I can scrape up some money for an extra set of brake pads and tires.

One question:
What kind of brake pads did you use? Or did you keep the stock pads on? I've used Hawk HP Plus's on the track before with my GT with pretty good results.

-brad-

haskett

Established Member
I used the stock pads this past weekend. Towards the end of the road course sessions, the brakes would fade bad on Turn 1 (the first turn after the long straight). But then, I was jamming on them at about 97 mph, so they held up great for stock pads, I thought. I was definitely driving very aggressively when I had brake fade problems. If I eased it down a few notches to the 80-90 mph range, I didn't have any brake fade problems.

I had no brake pad problems whatsover on the autocross.

Before I left last week, I searched here for brake pad recommendations, and didn't really see any. I'd like to upgrade next time, if there is an affordable alternative. I'd also like to get the opinions of those that are using the upgraded Motorcraft race pads.

Bingo13

Established Member
haskett,

I replaced my pads with a new set from Kenny Brown. I am using the street pads and also bought a set of track pads if I decide to autocross the vehicle. The new rear pads have been great as they do not generate the type of brake dust you see from the OEM pads.

Users who are viewing this thread