Locking out of 2nd gear when downshifting (t56)

uhhhaaron

Established Member
Recently picked up my car from a very reliable shop in Phoenix area. TOB finally went out and had all the components swapped out along with a 26 spline input shaft/McLeod clutch/lightened steel Fw, etc.. put in.

Drove from the shop not even a mile when a car pulls out in front of me while in 3rd so I try to downshift into 2nd and I’m locked out until almost to a complete stop.. hmm I drive a little further and experience the same thing. Drive back to the shop and owner takes it for a ride a verifies the same thing. Owner said to leave it overnight and he’d look it over. He’s pretty sure the front input shaft synchro wasn’t installed correctly..

this morning he notifies me had personally checked it and the front input shaft synchro was indeed install correctly.. he’s going to check this afternoon with his tranny guy and see what they discover..

Any ideas of what could be causing these lockouts? It shifts smooth while going through the gears 1,2,3, etc.. just downshifting I’m getting locked out until almost at a dead stop. Before this, my car shifted/downshifted fine..

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm going to guess it's a clutch adjustment. Did they install an aftermarket quadrant as well?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was going to say similar. Is it only 3rd to 2nd gear? No other shifting issues?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

uhhhaaron

Established Member
I'm going to guess it's a clutch adjustment. Did they install an aftermarket quadrant as well?

No I went with the stock cable setup to see how it feels and then i figured I’d adjust/upgrade if needed.

@CobraBob
From what I recall it was mainly from cruising gear to 2nd.. it might’ve locked out in other gears as well.. it was only driven about a mile or so before returning back to the shop..

still awaiting what he finds out from the tranny shop.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yeah. I'd look into the quadrant and firewall adjuster then. Hopefully the shop also installed an adjustable pivot ball.

I also went with a Steeda pedal stop so I could put the clutch pedal where I want it. My set up shifts smooth.

uhhhaaron

Established Member
Yeah. I'd look into the quadrant and firewall adjuster then. Hopefully the shop also installed an adjustable pivot ball.

I also went with a Steeda pedal stop so I could put the clutch pedal where I want it. My set up shifts smooth.

I did have an adjustable pivot ball installed as well, Lakewood I believe..

Would a quadrant/firewall adjuster make the diffference? I’m only experiencing the issue when trying to downshift.. going through the gears during accelerating is like butter..

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

Would a quadrant/firewall adjuster make the diffference? I’m only experiencing the issue when trying to downshift.. going through the gears during accelerating is like butter..
IMO it would. The dual disc set up needs a little tweaking to get right.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

FWIW when I got my RXT I read a lot about a quick release quadrant like the Fiore piece being a must. The travel is different and the steeper ramp helps.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't know what brand quadrant is on my car, but I do know its not a quick release. The RXT does need most of the pedal throw to work correctly. I had a MM pedal height adjuster which works fine with a single disc clutch, but I needed just a touch more throw to disengage the clutch completely. That's why I switched to the Steeda set up. I was still able to lower the pedal height, but now the clutch fully disengages to make shifting smooth.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the steeda adjuster also. works great and I have an rxt also.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You could always try match revving the next time you drive it. See if that helps. Have you ever floated the gears?

Users who are viewing this thread