lock tite on pressure plate bolts or nothing?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
im installing my clutch and i forgot if i need to add some blue lock tite to the pressure plate bolts. my gut feeling is yes but before i do it i wanna make sure.

thanks

brian

TRBO VNM

Brian,

I could be wrong, but don't you work at ford?

Do you have the stock bolts? Take a look at them, they have some on there from the factory. I use blue for the flywheel bolts and red on the pp bolts.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Brian,

I could be wrong, but don't you work at ford?

Do you have the stock bolts? Take a look at them, they have some on there from the factory. I use blue for the flywheel bolts and red on the pp bolts.

yea im still at ford but we dont stock this stuff. my factory bolts were never taken off the clutch because when i sold the engine i sold the stock flywheel and clutch also.

im the assistant service manager i suppose i could have logged on to fmc dealer and got the answer but i wanted an excuse to get on here and dig around. i searched, some ppl said use red on everything and others said use red/blue mix like you suggested.

i did blue on the flywheel bolts and red on the pressure plate bolts.

i torqued the flywheel to 65 lbs and the pressure plate to 26 lbs (sound right?)

thanks guys

i hope everyone had a great thanks giving

Last edited:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
yea im still at ford but we dont stock this stuff.

i torqued the flywheel to 65 lbs and the pressure plate to 26 lbs (sound right?)

thanks guys

I have read anywhere from 25-30, but the most important part is the fingers are all even when you feel them. If not you will have some nasty vibration in your clutch pedal.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I have read anywhere from 25-30, but the most important part is the fingers are all even when you feel them. If not you will have some nasty vibration in your clutch pedal.

good tip. i did check them and they were all even :beer:

i did forget to reinstall one small but important bracket :(

i cant remember if it goes between the bellhousing and block or if it sits on the outside of the bell housing.

here is a pic

1322197163.jpg

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member

i cant remember if it goes between the bellhousing and block or if it sits on the outside of the bell housing.

here is a pic

1322197163.jpg

It sits on the outside :beer:

95PGTTech

Established Member

here is a pic

1322197163.jpg

Outside, on the top. Those two bolt holes on the bracket go on the top most two transmission bolts, you can see the witness marks on the bracket. It holds the trans/02 sensor harness in place.

It was a good move going back to use the LocTite.

TRBO VNM

yea im still at ford but we dont stock this stuff. my factory bolts were never taken off the clutch because when i sold the engine i sold the stock flywheel and clutch also.

im the assistant service manager i suppose i could have logged on to fmc dealer and got the answer but i wanted an excuse to get on here and dig around. i searched, some ppl said use red on everything and others said use red/blue mix like you suggested.

thanks guys

No. Per my helm manual and other posts on here and other sites...

66-lbft for the flywheel bolts in basically a crossing pattern
33-lbft for the pp bolts first pass and then 60 degrees for second pass, again crossing pattern like doing lug nuts.

So I would redo the pp bolts if it was me.

And I remove that bracket. half the time when you are disconnecting the harness, the connectors pop off. So I just remove the bracket.

And that is one of my biggest beefs with the dealers. PP bolts, exhaust gaskets and other stuff that are common on most of the mustangs should be stocked. Luckily my local dealer does now since I buy it regularly.

Did you not use new pp bolts? Typically you should and then you would have seen the red already on them.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I just replaced my clutch and I torqued everything to spec using red picture on everything. When I go to remove them next time I'll just hit the bolts with some propane first.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
No. Per my helm manual and other posts on here and other sites...

66-lbft for the flywheel bolts in basically a crossing pattern
33-lbft for the pp bolts first pass and then 60 degrees for second pass, again crossing pattern like doing lug nuts.

So I would redo the pp bolts if it was me.

And I remove that bracket. half the time when you are disconnecting the harness, the connectors pop off. So I just remove the bracket.

And that is one of my biggest beefs with the dealers. PP bolts, exhaust gaskets and other stuff that are common on most of the mustangs should be stocked. Luckily my local dealer does now since I buy it regularly.

Did you not use new pp bolts? Typically you should and then you would have seen the red already on them.

ok i just went to the ford website and you are correct in the torque. i also used new pressure plate bolts. i purchased a new spec stage 3+ clutch and new billet steel flywheel. new arp flywheel bolts.

well at least the trans is out of the car. this is my first 4.6L build and first clutch in a 4.6L. im trying to do this stuff by the book and im learning a lot.

thanks for everyone's help

TRBO VNM

ok, then if you bought new factory pp bolts, there was no need to add any loctite. however, if you are removing and using again, I would throw a dab on them now. But since you only went to 26, you can just do the 33 and then the 60 degrees. so you would have had 3 stages. LOL

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Yup I reused mine so red loctite it was. Ill be ordering ARP bolts soon so when i remove it again I'll have those ready to put in

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
retorqued to 33 lbs and then did the 60 degree thing.

ok so the next question i just realized that im missing both alignment dowels from scatter shield to block. are they really that necessary? should i order some ?

1322437797.jpg

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Well if you have everything bolted up already your good. They just help keep the metal spacer in place and ensure everything is aligned righ before you go screwing bolts in.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Well if you have everything bolted up already your good. They just help keep the metal spacer in place and ensure everything is aligned righ before you go screwing bolts in.

It's back apart because I had improperly torqued the pressure plate bolts

Users who are viewing this thread