LMR SVE Replicas 315/35/R17 Review

Live Wire

Established Member
Figured I would post something for those interested in this setup, and perhaps future searches will turn this thread up and help someone.

I needed new tires for the car in addition to wanting a wide rear tire. I went with the SVE replica’s for a few reasons: 1) I think this is a great looking rim on our cars 2) they were on sale 3) LMR was the only one with Nitto 555 G2 sets available at the time I was looking 4) the center cap is same as OEM for easy swapping. I’ll just say quickly about the G2: while I would have preferred an R888 setup, this seemed to be a reasonably priced tire in addition to good reviews. It’s a great step up from the Cooper 275s I was on, but I am guessing most of the performance improvement has to do with the simple fact it’s wider and more rubber is in contact with the pavement. That said, I like the tire so far. It hooks much better in 2nd gear and less wheel hop. Again, I attribute a lot of this to being wider; I’m sure the Toyo’s, or MT’s, or whatever 315 out there would perform similarly. I don’t take my car to the strip so my experience is limited to darting around town. First gear launch is still a mess, but my car is mildly modded, so I don’t know what will help that other than slicks and/or a FTB IRS bushing replacement.

As for the rims, I was pleasantly surprised by how well the SVE’s are manufactured. I understand its just a made-in-china cast, but finish is very nice, and right on par with the OEMs. While I got a four tire/rim set, I can confidently say that the replicas match the OEMs nicely… for those interested in just a rear set. Had I known how well they matched, I might have reconsidered the purchase of four wheels and gone with four tires and two rims. I’m sure there is a cost savings going with a complete kit, but food for thought.

What I can’t speak to is longevity of the finish. My car is a garage queen. Rarely driven, never in rain. I expect the finish to last a long time. That said, the gloss finish “feels” very OEM-like, so I would expect it to be durable for the long haul. The only real difference I noticed is the OEM has more “flesh” that connects to the hub. I’m sure like everything else, this is a cost savings measure. The wheel is pocketed to provide easy clearance for any spacers you might want to use that include studs.

Regarding spacers. While the 315’s look so much better in bringing tire out the tire in the wheel well, it could stand maybe another 1/4 inch and be perfect… for me. You may like it right where it sits. I actually tried on a pair of 1” spacers just to see what it looked like… comical to say the least. Sticks out too far and almost looks like a 4x4. I have pics if someone is interested.

Center caps. Not ashamed to say it, but I don’t mind the SVE center caps. Not quite the OEM SVT font, but close. If you weren’t looking for it, you’d never notice it doesn’t say SVT. Bonus is that my OEM rims will keep the OEM center caps. So even though swapping them was part of the SVE buying decision, I actually decided not to do it.

Low profile bolts. LMR has two options: Maximum Motorsports or the SVE brand. I paid the few bucks more and went with the MM. They were fine, but my pet peeve was they were not like the picture on LMR’s site where the last 2/3 of the bolt is unthreaded… these were threaded all the way to the bolt head. Was it a big deal? Not really and construction felt good, but when you expect one thing and get another, it’s mildly annoying. Also, getting them installed was a pain… not a pain changing an alternator or something, but because the tips of the bolt aren’t tapered like OEMs, it took a little giggling and subframe jacking to get them threaded. But let me tell you, if I can do it, anyone can. I’m not necessarily mechanically inclined so I was a little skittish going into it, but ended up being a rewarding experience for a novice.

LMR customer service: they are great. I purchased headlights from them that came broken in shipping and they were on top of it like gangbusters. I bought something else from them that went on sale about 10 days after I bought it… asked them about it and they said normally they only price protect for 7 days, but they ended up giving me an LMR gift card for more than the sale price took off. Super prompt to email inquiries as well.

Anyway, that’s my experience. Hope someone benefits from it and let me know if you want any other pics.

Rear stance not too shabby... could stand to shine that exhaust though!
sve-stance1.jpg

Right after install so suspension hadn't compressed fully yet, but definitely better fit in the wheel well than the stock 9" wheels. I could stand just a hair more out, but not complaining.
sve-stance2.jpg

Good fit and finish. The plastic film is still on center cap in case you're wondering why it looks so glossy.
sve-stance3.jpg

Buh-bye Coopers. We had fun, but all good things must come to an end.
sve-stance5.jpg

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Nice write up. I had the G2's for a while. But I got tired of them not hooking. Even in the 315 width.

whipple1raptor

Established Member
Excellent write up!

I'm getting ready for more power myself and wanted wider wheels in the back to put it down.

AFS is not an option at the moment and heard nothing but good things about the LMR replicas.

I wanted the OEM center caps to fit and wanted an exact match to the front OEM wheels.

After reading reviews... I pulled the trigger on a set of 17x10.5 for the rear. Here's a pic... They look spot
on.
IMG_0229.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ICE888

Established Member
Excellent write up!

I'm getting ready for more power myself and wanted wider wheels in the back to put it down.

AFS is not an option at the moment and heard nothing but good things about the LMR replicas.

I wanted the OEM center caps to fit and wanted an exact match to the front OEM wheels.

After reading reviews... I pulled the trigger on a set of 17x10.5 for the rear. Here's a pic... They look spot
on. View attachment 1564030

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

One advice I would give is with the chrome version is try and ceramic coat the inside. Mine started corroding from road grime. Or just remember to clean well after driving. I had the same ones in chrome.

Users who are viewing this thread