Living in an Apartment / High Rise With a Big Dog

BlackOutUT

Established Member
Kind of a long read, but I need input bad.

I wanted to get some outside opinions on this subject. Long story short, I'm in the process of moving to Dallas from Austin for a business opportunity. This opportunity requires I be in DT Dallas every day. Usually I'd be all for roommates, but all of my current friends are not able to live with me until August. So as of right now I'm pretty much on my own. Here are my options.

Live with my parents in Rockwall. I could easily stay with them for 6 months, but 1. they live 40+ minutes away. Commute will blow, not to mention you need to drive 12-15 minutes to do or get anything. 2. living with the parents will kill the social life. I'm 27, and single. 3. I love my parents, very cool. But I've been here 1 day already and I'm already annoyed...

Get my own place. This is what I really want to do, but there are hurdles. 1. It will be expensive if I want to be dt. I'm sure all of you know a 2br split in half is much cheaper than a 1br anywhere. Rent and utilities I'm looking at around 7k-7.5k more than living at the Ps. However, I'm already accustomed to paying for two rooms in my current house (use one as an office/business storage). I won't be shocked financially, but cheaper is always better 2. The pup. This is the main factor here. I have a 130lb bloodhound who is actually really good in the house. He's never done his business in the house since he's been an adult. But, I've also never kept him inside exclusively. I have also never lived with a dog and not had some kind of backyard. He also drools like a biach, not to mention he will just generally require more attention, i.e. taking him out all the time, walks, dog hair, etc. His happiness is definitely a factor as well. My personal belief is that big hunting type dogs such as himself are generally happy to be outside. But to be honest, when he's outside, he's almost always crying to be inside and I feel he's generally happier when he's just around me. Inside or out. I also have the option to take him out to my parents house to run around when I want. They have almost a full acre backyard.

This is what I really want opinions on. How many of you are living in apartments or high rise condos with big dogs. Is it a pain in the ass? Whats your take.

Other factors...

I own my own business and work from home. I will hardly ever be away from my place for more than a few hours. So its not like I'll be locking him up all day.

I've estimated that the difference in mileage I'll put on my truck form having to drive from rockwall will be roughly 350 miles a week. Factor in gas cost and wear and tear, and that can add up fast.

There is no guarantee anyone I know will be ready to move in in 6 months. I could very well be in this exact same boat in 6 months.

I'll be buying a place within the next year. I have the cash now, but because of some red tape with me being a business owner, I don't believe I'll be able to qualify for a mortgage for about another year. <this blows as its what I really want to do and would solve all my problems. So regardless of what I'm paying this year, it is only temporary.

Theres also the difference in the amount of tail I'll get having a nice place in the middle of everything as opposed to the parents house in BFE. Walking distance to bars, restraunts, AA Center (mavs & stars play) and much more. This truly is a bid deal lol.

I'd really like to hear some opinions and criticisms here. Whatever I do, I need to make up my mind fast.

Last edited:

Krwy

Established Member
My chick has a small (60-65lb) pit bull in her apartment. She takes her out every morning, comes home at lunch and takes her out, then finally twice after work. Its really not the best for a big dog, they really do need to be outside. If its temporary itll be okay. My 100lb German Shepherd loves to be inside, and he'll sleep on the couch all freakin day.

If you're able to take the dog out 30mins in the morning, out at lunch, then about an hour after work, you should be okay.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
My chick has a small (60-65lb) pit bull in her apartment. She takes her out every morning, comes home at lunch and takes her out, then finally twice after work. Its really not the best for a big dog, they really do need to be outside. If its temporary itll be okay. My 100lb German Shepherd loves to be inside, and he'll sleep on the couch all freakin day.

If you're able to take the dog out 30mins in the morning, out at lunch, then about an hour after work, you should be okay.

I only leave my home for about 2 hours for business stuff, to go to the gym, or to go out. Being in close proximity to all those things will assure I've never away for long. But that is the only thing I feel bad about. I don't want him to be unhappy. But he sleeps most of the day when he's outside anyway lol. I can also take him on little vacations to the folks house. I also didn't mention that Dallas has become pretty dog friendly. So there are parks and whatnot all around.

Picture for reference lol.

2013-11-24201642_zpsf8e69cc2.jpg

wht93gted

Established Member
Moving from 1 house to the other this past December, we stayed at the inlaws for 1 night with the dog.

It was terrible. It was cold, and raining, and I had to walk her around out there and wait for her to find the perfect place to shit.

If we had a yard, I open the door, and she just goes and does whatever the hell she wants, and I stay nice and warm inside.

If it were me, I'd take the parents, with the yard, and save money like a fiend so I could by a house as quickly as possible. I guess because I commute 70 miles a day, (about 35 min each way) I don't see the commute as a big deal.

I know it can be tough getting a mortgage as a business owner, maybe you can find a house where the owners will let you rent until the mortgage comes through. Or a rent to own. There're a lot of options. A friend of mine put his downpayment down (to the seller) and rents the house while he's waiting for his mortgage to clear. It's all through attorneys, so the contracts are there outlining the deal.

Never_Enough

Established Member

Tell that to my gf with her nut job collie/dalmation mix. She takes her out in the morning, comes home at lunch & then at least 2 times at night after work & the dog is still a nightmare.

roadracer247

Established Member
I'd try & find a house closer to where you wanna be..preferably with a yard.

However if those are your only options, suck it up & move back in with the family. Save some dough.

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
ill give you my experience right now as im going through similar. i have a 9month old shepard\lab mix shes about 65lbs. i lived in a town house with my buddy and his 75lbs lab. we have no real yard since we live in the city so i always have to walk my dog. i eventually looked into doggie day camp through petsmart as i found one on my way to work this was a huge help, twice a week i drop her on my way to work and pick her up on way way home. its 23 bucks a day and shes always exhausted after. i work 8 to 6 mon-fri and live an hour from work. i want my own place with a yard so im sucking it up and moving home to my parents house for the next 8 to 10 months. it may not be as fun being a single 27 year old living at home but in the end it will pay off when im much happier in my own place.

my vote, suck it up and stay with your parents. dont count on friends to rent from you. ive rented from or with friends for the past few years and its stressful and tiresome. save up the money and get your own place when you are ready. :beer:

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Moving from 1 house to the other this past December, we stayed at the inlaws for 1 night with the dog.

It was terrible. It was cold, and raining, and I had to walk her around out there and wait for her to find the perfect place to shit.

If we had a yard, I open the door, and she just goes and does whatever the hell she wants, and I stay nice and warm inside.

If it were me, I'd take the parents, with the yard, and save money like a fiend so I could by a house as quickly as possible. I guess because I commute 70 miles a day, (about 35 min each way) I don't see the commute as a big deal.

I know it can be tough getting a mortgage as a business owner, maybe you can find a house where the owners will let you rent until the mortgage comes through. Or a rent to own. There're a lot of options. A friend of mine put his downpayment down (to the seller) and rents the house while he's waiting for his mortgage to clear. It's all through attorneys, so the contracts are there outlining the deal.

I agree with what's in bold..... Will it suck til you buy the house yeah but a year from now when you have more cash to put towards the house it will have been worth it and it will take care of the dog problem to boot. 45 minute commute isn't all that bad but then again I live in NoVA where it can take 45 minutes to go 5 miles depending on the time of day.

99GreenCobra

Established Member
Totally depends on the dog. I moved in with my GF's condo. Her dog could care less that they had no yard. My Rotti/shepard would crap in the house no matter how many times I took her to the off leash park. We bought a house soon after and the problem stopped. We had to put her in the crate whenever we left the house. My wife does work from home so its not like she was alone 8 hours a day. All depends on the dog.

oldmodman

Established Member
Going to live in a high rise with a big dog?

Does it have a balcony?

If it does buy some nice sod and put it down on the balcony and leave the door open all day when you are gone. Dog goes out to pee and crap whenever he wants.

When you get home bag it up and take your buddy to a dog park (if any around) for a little run and exercise. Dump the poo in THEIR disposal can.

Repeat until you get a house.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
Going to live in a high rise with a big dog?

Does it have a balcony?

If it does buy some nice sod and put it down on the balcony and leave the door open all day when you are gone. Dog goes out to pee and crap whenever he wants.

When you get home bag it up and take your buddy to a dog park (if any around) for a little run and exercise. Dump the poo in THEIR disposal can.

Repeat until you get a house.

Im actually really considering this! One of the places I'm looking at has a 30ft balcony I could easily throw some sod or some turf on.

My parents actually have a small fake grass thing they use for their small dogs when they re gone for awhile. It has a tray under it to collect the pee. Pretty awesome.

Thanks for all the opinions guys.

Users who are viewing this thread