Live Event with SVT today!! @ 11AM CST

86merc

Established Member
As for as an automatic in the Shelby GT500................;-)

I asked Jamal that specifically. At this time no. There is not a trans that is affordable that can hold the torque they are producing. The motor makes 500 ft/lbs. at 2000 engine rpm. And 600 ft/lbs. further up. Once that he mentioned might work would be cost prohibitive. Ford's cost on this trans was about $5,000.

He did say maybe down the road as twin clutch transmissions get better and cheaper it could be something they would look into again.

He seemed to think that the car is easy enough to drive. Between the gearing in the trans and the final drive ratio the shifting does not come up on you that quick. You shift out of first gear at 62mph and finish a 1/4 mile pass while still in third gear. You shift out of 3rd gear at 130mph. (That comment and mph might be able to help people judge the ET of the car haha) And with the traction control helping out it makes a big difference. So I don't thing an automatic is really some thing they are too worried about.

speedrx

Established Member
Ford's cost on this trans was about $5,000.

This might be the response but I am sure if GM can provide an Auto option for much less than $5K in the ZL1, Ford can also.

How much does it cost for the '13 beefed up Tremec, clutch, etc?

I just don't think it is important or a priority for SVT at this time, if it was, you would see an affordable Auto option. They don't want the R&D expense and the interior changes required with the outgoing model - expect to see it with the new platform coming in '15.

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
This might be the response but I am sure if GM can provide an Auto option for much less than $5K in the ZL1, Ford can also.

How much does it cost for the '13 beefed up Tremec, clutch, etc?

I just don't think it is important or a priority for SVT at this time, if it was, you would see an affordable Auto option. They don't want the R&D expense and the interior changes required with the outgoing model - expect to see it with the new platform coming in '15.

We touched on that today also and when your making 500ft/lb tq @2000rpms it's not gonna happen. ZL is not doing that

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
I suspect quarter mile in 11.6 @ 128. That's within a few ticks of the Ford GT which is in line with Fords hints and data.

Users who are viewing this thread