limits of returnless..or just go return??

GodStang

Established Member
I too had huge issues with the FRPP 80s. I got 69.9 Miles per tank. It would sputter, it would not stay running, difficult to start, would cut off when I would come to a stop sign. My old tuner who is a big name tuner blamed the fuel system. After him about blowing it up on the dyno I took it home to fix the fuel issues. After research and two tuners later I realized it was the Tuner himself who could not tune 80s. Nothing against the tuners they just could not tune my setup. Two other guys did great jobs with my 80s and the car ran better than stock with cams.

I guess my point is talk with who you want to tune your car. Tell him/her what you have and where you want to be. Find out what injectors he likes tuning and which will get you there. When I built my car there was not 1300s or 1600s so there was 1000s and 2000s. I bought the 2000s to go north of 800rwhp on E85. I sold the 80s I had in the car and bought and installed the 2000s. After many conversations with the new person tuning my car he said he preferred to tune the 80s on my setup for the 800+rwhp on E85 so I yanked the 2000s and went back to the FRPP 80s because that is what he felt better tuning. The car drives like a dream now because my tuner was comfortable with 80s and he did a great job with 80s. Another tuner I really really respect prefers 1000s over the FRPP 80s and if I was going with him I would of gone with the 1000s

So to sum it up if 700rwhp is your max goal on E85 than 80s, ID1000s, 105s, ID1300s will all safely get you there BUT TALK WITH YOUR TUNER and decide what he/she likes the best because if he/she can not tune it it is a moot point. And end up like me you spend $1000s learning the hard way. If I ever go to a bigger Twin screw to try and hit the 900rwhp I too will go to the 1300 or 1600 route.

I had 80's at 650rwhp on the old setup and gas mileage was horrible and drivebaility suffered with the 80's. I knew I was looking for 700hp+ and dont like to run my injectors on the edge so I went to the bosch 1000cc injectors and I'm much happier with the 1000's. My gas mileage is up around 6-7mpg and these injectos drive like stock. I would say 2000's were alot more overkill for your level in the first place. I started maxing out the 1000cc at around 21-20psi 800rwhp+ (wasnt able to a full pull as I went lean). I backed boost down to 16psi added some timing to get the power back. I run a boost referenced regulator and 40psi base pressure. I could push further with a higher base pressure but I like to keep it low and evenly balance the work between pumps and injectors.

I still wouldn't say that you have plenty of room left with 80's at 55psi with e85 at your power level. Especialy when adding boost. I would be careful with that, although the e85 will be much more forgiving when going lean. If you and your tuner are comfortable with it thats one thing, but just as you see guys making widely different numbers on different fuel systems I wouldnt blindly reccommend that statement to another setup. There nothing to be gained by going to small on the injectors but definetly room for issues.

When going north on 700rwhp on corn I will always reccommed at least 1000's especialy since they drive so damn good for a large injector. On my setup if I push past 800rwhp I will likely get 1300's or 1600's and keep fuel pressure where I have it, rather than upping pressure to push the injectors further and loosing some flow capability of my fuel system.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Well this is why I'm asking you guys because I'm gonna be tuning it myself. I think I'm gonna try the 80's first. They sell for fair prices all the time so I can try them and if they work, great. If they're not enough, I'll probably be able to sell them for what I bught them for and can then go with ID1000's.

Out of curiosity has anyone tried the deatschwerks injectors? They come in inbetween frpp 80's and id's in terms of price and off 88 and 96lbers. Just curious if this is another option or if I should stick with one of the other two.

Last edited:

JeremyH

Established Member
Well said Gostang I agree with getting input from your tuner.

Id injectors are bosch. I went with bosch racing 1000cc injectors as they were a lot cheaper than the id's.

cj428mach

Established Member
Out of curiosity has anyone tried the deatschwerks injectors? They come in inbetween frpp 80's and id's in terms of price and off 88 and 96lbers. Just curious if this is another option or if I should stick with one of the other two.

Being that I was self tuning I wanted the "easiest" to tune injectors with the most readily available data and thats why I went ID1000's. You can go to the site and get all the setting you need for tuning them right off their site. To me that was worth the extra cost.

Users who are viewing this thread