Likely buying a '96 Cobra convertible...any advice?

Mark99GT

Established Member
I'm going to look at a 96 Cobra convertible with 55k miles Saturday morning, looks very clean from the pictures I've seen. Plan is to drive it home, it's a 250 mile drive (one way). Any advice for particular things to look for with the car while inspecting/test driving? I know about the cooling system TSB/recall. Anything else? Edit: Car is supposedly 100% stock, no mods.

This is my first time with a convertible. Last mustang was a 99 GT that I sold 15 years ago. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Congrats on the low mile find! Make sure the gas isn’t old from sitting and the tires and pressures are good for a 250 mile journey.

dkblue98gt

Established Member
All of the above and put the top down! I drove mine 400 miles home with the top down when I bought it...

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
There probably isn't a whole lot to worry about with a 100% stock car.

Regarding the TSB, unless the car is behaving like it is running hot, I wouldn't let the stock temperature gauge scare you if it shows the engine running warm. The factory water temperature gauge is notoriously inaccurate. Same goes for the oil pressure gauge. It is just a dummy light in the form of a switch. It'll show pressure if it senses anything above 6psi.

The T45 transmissions are kind of known for being difficult to get into reverse sometimes. Double clutch it and it should go straight into reserve, otherwise they're a very smooth shifting transmission normally.

I'd suggest giving a good look at subframe rails. It wasn't uncommon to find people using them as jacking points and the rails become easily damaged that way.

In addition to what others mentioned before setting out on a 250 mile journey, check the condition of your coolant hoses. These cars can be difficult to burp air out of and a roadside hose change is not something you really want to be doing.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Check body for straightness and rust, check to make sure everything works, check fluids and roll. You will want to do full length subframes immediately. Convertible front and rear bumpers were separated at birth and are forever trying to get back together.

Users who are viewing this thread