Lightweight Odyssey battery working out well............

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Been about a couple months now since I installed the battery and so far so good. When the car isn't driven I have it on a tender but last week I decided to try something.

I was going away for about 4 days so had the car out the night before and parked it but didn't put the tender on it. Came back from my trip (driving another car not the Shelby) and checked the battery the next day (basically no tender for 5 days while still connected to the car).

Hooked up the voltmeter and got a reading of 12.77V, I then connected the tender on it and started timing to see when the tender would go from a "charge" stage to "maintain" stage. It took a grand total of 59 secs. for that to happen. I checked battery voltage again while tender was on and voltage was 13.17V.

So basically I could leave the car untendered with this battery easily for 5 days and most likely longer. That's good to know since I was hearing that it should be on the tender if you know you aren't driving the car after a couple days or longer.

If you are thinking of doing the Odyssey battery do it.................great mod.

Tony

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Why did you switch to that battery? My car is weird, I have some intermittent issue where the battery can die over night if I don't put it on the tender. Other times, I can go several days with no loss in charge at all.

merkyworks

Established Member
If you are thinking of doing the Odyssey battery do it.................great mod.

What model Odessey are you running? Odessey PV680MJ?

Been thinking of running one of these or a EXT30. I daily drive mine and worry the power demand from my HE fans being on all the time will be to much for the battery and really reduce its life expectancy. Have you upgraded your HE and added fans?

Why did you switch to that battery? My car is weird, I have some intermittent issue where the battery can die over night if I don't put it on the tender. Other times, I can go several days with no loss in charge at all.

Sounds like a cell is starting to go bad.

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I'm running the PC680 battery. I switched batteries for some weigh savings in the front of the car (did a Steeda rad support brace, planning to get tubular K-member). I'm not using the MJ (metal sleeve, wasn't necessary according to the place I purchased the battery from, and I don't need the extra heft from the sleeve to go over the battery).

I still have stock HE no fans. When I'm driving the car my voltage is around 14-14.1V with lights on. I think even if you are using a HE with dual fans ALA you are not idling for extensive periods your alt. should be able to keep the battery charged.

Once you are driving at speed (city or highway) with engine speed up around 2k or higher you should be fine. If anything maybe wire in a separate switch to turn the fans off/on if you are in heavy traffic and idling for a long time.

Search my username I have a post about installing the battery, wasn't hard to do and worth the effort to lose some weight from the car.

Tony

Cman01

hello
Established Member
The PC680 battery is 14.5lbs. (using my home bathroom scale). I went out with it just now and weighed the OE battery, battery box with the bolts that I don't use with the Odyssey battery.

OE battery on my scale weights just over 30lbs. , with the box and the bolts it is 32.5lbs.

I didn't weigh my alum. plates that I use with the PC680 so I'll guess that the plates and threaded rods/nuts etc etc add about 1lbs. to that (it's probably less but I'm overestimating it here).

So just the battery part I'm 17lbs. less than stock. My stock lower rad support brace weighs 18lbs. The Steeda brace is 10lbs. so together I have 25lbs. off the front end of the car.

My Forgeline wheels per corner are 10lbs. less than the stock wheel setup (this is reciprocating weight) so I'm well on my way to having less heft on this car. Getting the K-member on later will help there also.

*cough* I've also dropped some poundage over this year compared to last so that helps......................for me and for the cars that I drive. :)

My battery install post is here:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/weight-loss-part-2.1135263/

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice, thanks for info Tony.
I also did the Steeda rad support and BMR k-member with BMR drag spec GT500 springs.
I agree the battery is an easy way to lose some front weight.
Any new pics? I never get sick of seeing Forgelines!
-J

merkyworks

Established Member

_Satch_

Established Member
Antigravity battery is very nice but I have a hard time spending the 350$-400$ on one.

Agreed... It only hurt for a little bit though! Not like the POS Ballistic Battery I tried in my motorcycle. After returning the second battery in under a year, I gave up on them and went back to the original AGM style battery.
-Satch

Cman01

hello
Established Member
That is a nice battery, although pricey (especially for me)!!!!! I was lucky to get my PC680 locally for around CAN$190.00 and I would've spent the US $$ amount to get it @ Summit or where ever I could get the best deal for one in the States.

That mount looks cool also, so is that mount specific to the S197 mustang to mount the ATX 12-24 battery?

I will have to consider this option if and when my PC680 kicks it (although I don't think that will happen for quite a while).

Nice to know that I can still lose some more weight at the front of the Shelby with a different battery than the Odyssey.

_Satch_

Established Member
Cman01, The mount is specific for that battery, and the 2011-2014 Mustang. The mount comes compete with everything necessary for installing the AG battery. The mount is really well manufactured.
-Satch

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...tigravity-battery-morris-engineering.1133785/

Here is another option for a lightweight battery in our cars. I put one of these in a few months back and it has worked flawlessly. I never put it on a tender either... It takes a special tender, and I haven't bought one yet. Cranks the car over with ease.
-Satch
Sweet piece you got there, I have battery envy.
I'm paranoid with my tender as it always seems like this car is so sensitive with the battery sitting. My '93 Cobra sits next to the '14 and starts no issue. The '14 has had 2 batteries already so I always have it on the tender.
-J

03kbredfire

Established Member
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...tigravity-battery-morris-engineering.1133785/

Here is another option for a lightweight battery in our cars. I put one of these in a few months back and it has worked flawlessly. I never put it on a tender either... It takes a special tender, and I haven't bought one yet. Cranks the car over with ease.
-Satch

I have waiting for my stock one to die so I can somehow justify this purchase. Maybe during the wait, the price for Li batteries will fall some.

_Satch_

Established Member
I have waiting for my stock one to die so I can somehow justify this purchase. Maybe during the wait, the price for Li batteries will fall some.

That could possibly happen, but I see the price of the mount jumped $50 since I purchased it back in early June!
DAYYUMMM!!!
-Satch

fearthesnake

Established Member
Sweet piece you got there, I have battery envy.
I'm paranoid with my tender as it always seems like this car is so sensitive with the battery sitting. My '93 Cobra sits next to the '14 and starts no issue. The '14 has had 2 batteries already so I always have it on the tender.
-J
Why does your battery die so fast? You live in cold weather region?
I live in South Carolina, still have original battery in car and no tender(knock on wood). Sits for weeks at a time.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think my first one was just bad and this second one is much better but hasn't had regular use due to oil pump failure. Been driving it more recently and haven't needed tender, but still this car just seems more sensitive than previous Mustangs.
-J

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I think it is all the electronic crap that requires minimal current but still running when our vehicles are off that we aren't aware of.

Tom

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I see that Morris Engineering only lists a mount for '11 and up cars. Would this mount work on an '07? I'm not sure what the difference is in the battery mount area.

Users who are viewing this thread