Lightning motor construction, 2003

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Hi Guys, I was talking with a Lightning guy last Saturday (Dyno day in Manassas, Va) and having fun seeing all that HP. (Didn't dyno mine, it needs tuning.) The question is; I assumed that all the Ford SVT stuff was built the same, beefy bottom end, etc, (beyond the 5.4 vs the 4.6, SOHC vs DOHC) Isn't the Lightning's block assembled the same way a Cobra is? How about the Harleys, anyone know why they've got less boost? They're both supercharged, I'd think it shortsighted on Ford's part to build them less. That's what I heard, anyway. Thanks !!

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
The Harley has less boost because they need their "flagship" truck to have the highest HP to make it the fastest pickup. The Harley and the Lightning have the same engine, EXACTLY, only differences in power are due to the larger upper blower pulley on the HD and some tuning paramiters in the PCM. Now the Cobra 4.6 and the Truck 5.4 ARE differant, the cobra uses manley rods, which are good to a higher HP and diff piston and crank. the block is close but not quite the same.

Users who are viewing this thread