Lift suggestions or feedback

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
I am looking at a lift to mostly be used in my garage. Am seeing two that are close in price. A Kwik Lift, drive on ramp style and a Quick Jack product from Ranger. Not sure which makes sense, I can argue each one. Anyone have hands on with either one? Am I overlooking another product? I want something that keeps the underneath open for access but it will probably be more used for oil changes, brake jobs, tire rotations and detailing.

I welcome your input.

If there's a better forum for this thread please relocate it.

Thanks.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
Whatever you choose make sure the lift you buy is certified by the ALI.

http://www.autolift.org/

I would also say to avoid Weaver lift. Their lifts are sub-par and their customer service is worse.

08mojo

Established Member
Do you have one of these? I have an '04 Cobra convertible a '03 Explorer and a '95 F150. I wonder about setting the width as well as positioning based on the varied lengths of my vehicles.

I have not pulled the trigger on a garage lift as of yet, but the more I read, the more I am leaning towards the ranger quick jack. The Maxjax looks nice, but I've read too many stories about people having to cut and repour the concrete footers because their original slab did not meet the requirements. Plus, the maxjax also looks harder to store. With the quick jack, I'd have the option to take it with me to a track, friends, if I move, etc...

MG0h3

Established Member
Crazy this thread just popped up. I was just thinking about doing a lift.

I was liking the max jack but considering install work and cost, what are you getting? 2' more lift than the ranger that's 1500 less. And what can you do with four feet that you can't with 18"? It's kind of pointless because you can't stand up under 4' anyways.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Crazy this thread just popped up. I was just thinking about doing a lift.

I was liking the max jack but considering install work and cost, what are you getting? 2' more lift than the ranger that's 1500 less. And what can you do with four feet that you can't with 18"? It's kind of pointless because you can't stand up under 4' anyways.

Remove a transmission

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I've got a Kwik-lift and it's the best tool I've invested in. Originally brought it to change the clutch in my truck. You can't beat the simplicity or security working under the car. Exhaust, transmission, and oil changes are cake with this thing.

MG0h3

Established Member
Remove a transmission

I think you could slide the trans out from under the car at 18inches. I mean my jack stands at the tallest might be that high. And when youre actually doing the work you'll still be on your back but you wont need the 4'---unless you have seriously long arms.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think you could slide the trans out from under the car at 18inches. I mean my jack stands at the tallest might be that high. And when youre actually doing the work you'll still be on your back but you wont need the 4'---unless you have seriously long arms.

I'll have to actually do the measurement. My mustang is actually on jackstands right now to replace the clutch/flywheel/throw out bearing and a lot of other related components. The transmission is sitting on a transmission jack right now, and my car is sitting just low enough it's not gonna fit out from under the subframe connectors and such, but I don't have it all the way up. I'm pretty sure it's taller than 18 inches though on the jack.

edit: my transmission jack looks like this, so it collapses fairly flat.

101.jpg

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya I dont think on stands or the kwik lift youd be able to do it while the trans is still on the jack. Ive always just used a floor jack get my trans out and then slid it off the jack and then out from under the car.

I dont ever trust regular auto jack stands at much past 3/4 extended. When I was a heavy/diesel tech we had some big mofos with like a 18" leg spread. I think they were like 20" high in the lowest position.

I swear the only reason I would buy one of these is so I wouldnt have to screw around with the little wooden ramps I built. I cant even get a floor jack under my car without them.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

No no no no no!!! Trust me on this when I say these things are SHIT. They recently had a recall where the welds on the lift carriage were cracking (because the welds were either poor or incomplete) and could cause the car to snap off the lift. They have such terrible build tolerances for one. Two, they don't even have a safety ratcheting system (like a real lift). You rest the car on 2 metal bars.

Want to see what I mean by bad tolerances? Here is my friends dannmar lift as he got it. These are the sliders in the lift channel.

IMG_2138-XL.jpg

IMG_2141-XL.jpg

As they sent the lift, the car could LITERALLY rock back and forth on the lift a full 2 inches. This wasn't a nose heavy car either, it was a 00 M5 which has a 50/50 weight balance.

Here is another fun fact. The rubber lift pads are larger than the metal they wrap around underneath. When I put my 85 bmw up on his lift, the only thing supporting the car is the edge of the thick rubber pad, because the whole pad won't fit under my car.

Do not buy one of these lifts. Dannmar has complete shit customer service. If you can fit a full size lift, go for it. I've been looking into bend pak's myself.

img002-XL.jpg

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
I've got a Kwik-lift and it's the best tool I've invested in. Originally brought it to change the clutch in my truck. You can't beat the simplicity or security working under the car. Exhaust, transmission, and oil changes are cake with this thing.

Did you order yours from their website or find one used somewhere? I do like that this one I could park on and store some stuff under the car as needed. Especially during the winter when I may be in a project or just not driving as much. Have you used a bridge with yours to get a wheel/tire off? If so, was there enough room to do it comfortably?

No no no no no!!! Trust me on this when I say these things are SHIT. They recently had a recall where the welds on the lift carriage were cracking (because the welds were either poor or incomplete) and could cause the car to snap off the lift. They have such terrible build tolerances for one. Two, they don't even have a safety ratcheting system (like a real lift). You rest the car on 2 metal bars.

Do not buy one of these lifts. Dannmar has complete shit customer service. If you can fit a full size lift, go for it. I've been looking into bend pak's myself.

img002-XL.jpg

Wow! That's good information on the recall. Their letter doesn't even give much of an action step other than stop using it, that seems peculiar.

I did some measuring tonight anyway and I couldn't effectively use the 48" of lift anyway due to the position of my door opener. Well, I could, but then it would be super tight when trying to lift my Explorer or my truck.

I'm back to thinking about the Quick Jack from Ranger or the Kwik-Lift and I'm leaning towards the Kwik-Lift for the parking benefit and the added height by being a drive on setup.

Anyone else have a favorite that they'd like to throw into the mix. I'm open to options and so appreciate the feedback!

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Bought mine used just before hitting the submit button to buy new.

Check the corvette forums and search kiwi-lift. They come up for sale often there.

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
I have a Bendpak HD-9XW..

I love that I can park under it and do oil changes but it lacks the ability to rotate tires and stuff.. I'm looking at the jacks that go on the lift to raise the car up but they are like $1,200 each.. Over all I'm happy but it does have it's limits.. What's nice about the 4-post lift is you don't have to bolt it to the ground.. I paid extra to get the casters so my lift is mobile..

image_1.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

smitty2919

Established Member
If I can't get a 2 post style lift to fit, I won't spend the money on a lift at all. I never know what I'm going to do, the "drive on" lifts are only good for oil changes, trans removal yadda yadda. When you get into brake jobs, suspension stuff that drive on lift is useless.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If I can't get a 2 post style lift to fit, I won't spend the money on a lift at all. I never know what I'm going to do, the "drive on" lifts are only good for oil changes, trans removal yadda yadda. When you get into brake jobs, suspension stuff that drive on lift is useless.

The Kwik-lift actually has provisions that allow you to put your car on jackstands while on the drive on lift.

Jefe

Established Member
the "drive on" lifts are only good for oil changes, trans removal yadda yadda. When you get into brake jobs, suspension stuff that drive on lift is useless.
I have done all of that on our drive on lift. All you need is a sliding jack for the center channel and you can raise the vehicle off the ramps. Plus our lift is not bolted down. It has wheels so I can move it where-ever I want, including outside. More photos: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?670881-Installed-a-4-Post-Lift

2011-10-16%2015.43.35_zps5fx2ymhk.jpg

Last edited:

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
I was looking at getting one of these.
http://www.directlift.com/Four-Post-Lift-Pro-Park-8S-Standard-P44C9.aspx

Not sure if that fits the purpose you desire, but it's not a bad price, they have 2 post ones as well. My plans are just for oil changes and to store my soon to be 94+ 3kGT VR4 underneath the Cobra.

That's nice but I just don't have the ceiling height to make it worthwhile. Still leaning towards the Kwik-Lift, maybe with a couple bridges to get all four tires up at the same time. Thanks for the suggestions though, I hadn't seen some of these lifts before so this is educational.

Users who are viewing this thread