Lidar Ticket In California

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
so i got a ticket last night for going 92 in a 65. But I know I wasnt going that fast for sure. The chp was being a dick the whole time. But i politely asked to see the radar. He got kind of worried and said I caught you on a lidar and I cant show you. Is it worth fighting for ?

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
The officer is under no obligation to show, nor do you have any right to see the readout on the speed measuring device.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
so i got a ticket last night for going 92 in a 65. But I know I wasnt going that fast for sure. The chp was being a dick the whole time. But i politely asked to see the radar. He got kind of worried and said I caught you on a lidar and I cant show you. Is it worth fighting for ?

I would if you know you were not going that fast. I would not if you are going to argue 89 mph or something along those lines.

Admit to a slower speed? Will it change the fee amount?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
OP, please understand that LIDAR is a laser device that can accurately display your speed. It is vehicle specific, meaning there is no guessing which vehicle going that speed. It operates the same way that shooting a handgun would. Put the sights on a target and squeeze the trigger. It INSTANTLY gives the officer the speed, direction of travel (coming towards or going away from the officer), and also the distance in feet that you were from the officer when he obtained your speed. I am a certified LIDAR operator and is common to detect a vehicle's speed at distances upwards of a mile away, if not more. I have obtained speed readings on semi-trucks at 8000 feet away. Also, the officer is not under obligation by law or policy to show you any speed measuring device on the side of the road.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
Cops are allowed to lie. Get use to it.

Motoman, this isn't relevant. refer to the rules of this forum. :rolleyes:

OP, Lidar is vehicle specific. It is one singe beam aimed at your specific vehicle. It can range from small distances to great distances. Silver03svt nailed it.

The officer that cited you already made a visual estimation of your speed prior to using lidar to confirm your speed. :bash:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
OP, please understand that LIDAR is a laser device that can accurately display your speed. It is vehicle specific, meaning there is no guessing which vehicle going that speed. It operates the same way that shooting a handgun would. Put the sights on a target and squeeze the trigger. It INSTANTLY gives the officer the speed, direction of travel (coming towards or going away from the officer), and also the distance in feet that you were from the officer when he obtained your speed. I am a certified LIDAR operator and is common to detect a vehicle's speed at distances upwards of a mile away, if not more. I have obtained speed readings on semi-trucks at 8000 feet away. Also, the officer is not under obligation by law or policy to show you any speed measuring device on the side of the road.

Does the LIDAR need to tested/calibrated on any schedule?

silver03svt

Established Member
Does the LIDAR need to tested/calibrated on any schedule?

Yes, it does. Most departments already know the schedule and frequency and will keep on top of it. VA law requires it "certified" once per 6 months, although the Trooper is required to "test" it daily.

Buckachow

KACHOW
Established Member
You can fight it and they have to provide proof that it was calibrated correctly. Its up to them to prove you were going that speed, not up to you to prove you weren't.

silver03svt

Established Member
You can fight it and they have to provide proof that it was calibrated correctly. Its up to them to prove you were going that speed, not up to you to prove you weren't.

Most departments will send certified copies of all calibrations (radar, lidar, speedometer) directly tot he courts in order for them to keep on file, therefore an officer does not need to keep every one with him at all times.
As far as proving the speed, the officer's testimony will be enough for the conviction.

Users who are viewing this thread