License Plate Holders and the LAW!

ssp.vortech

Established Member
Pardon the newb question, but I live in a state where there are two license plates displayed at all times. I did some searching here on the SVTP forums and looked at what others were doing.

I did come across the hide away license plate as offered by Swift Motorsports:

Swift Motorsports

It kind of looks cheesy, but wondered if anyone had success installing it on their Terminator. I contacted their tech support via email regarding my application, but have yet to hear back. The key for me is that I don't want to drill my front bumper. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome!

454LSX

Established Member
Trqjnky on here makes them for the Cobra I've been meaning to order one. But honestly I've driven Camaros, vettes, and WS6's without a front plate for the last 12 years and got ONE ticket in my wife's vert. That was on the way to the coast and I'm pretty sure it was a training exersize two cops and one was NEW.

The ticket was 75 bucks I believe. In my Z06 I used to park in front of Starbucks on TV highway where a bunch of motorcycle cops always hung out. We were both there every day and they never said anything to me. It is an excuse to pull you over though...

Where in Oregon are you?

Bobby

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Trqjnky on here makes them for the Cobra I've been meaning to order one. ...

Bobby

I have one of TORQJNKY's brackets. Nice piece of machining. It doesn't hide away, it clamps to the inside of the front bumper and is made to be removed easily (wing nuts) for shows, etc.

here's his original post about the brackets. The pics are of his demo, production ones are powdercoated black.

ssp.vortech

Established Member
Thanks for the information guys!

Bobby,

I'm located in Salem. I see you're in Portland. I've received tickets from two different Salem PD motorcycle cops. One for my LX and one for my Cobra. Can't get any luckier than that! I wasn't speeding or doing anything to get noticed. That's their job, to bring revenue to the city of Salem. One cop stated that they have to enforce this law as we have the stop light photo enforcement. I can't let this happen again.

Thanks again!

-Tom

Last edited:

BADSEED

Established Member
Thanks for the information guys!

Bobby,

I'm located in Salem. I see you're in Portland. I've received tickets from two different Salem PD motorcycle cops. One for my LX and one for my Cobra. Can't get any luckier than that! I wasn't speeding or doing anything to get noticed. That's their job, to bring revenue to the city of Salem. One cop stated that they have to enforce this law as we have the stop light photo enforcement. I can't let this happen again.

Thanks again!

-Tom
i have been pulled over about 7 times they have complained twice about my plate i tell them that i just got the bumper painted and it works everytime

MirageSVT

eNVisible
Established Member
ssp.vortech~ So after four years I thought it was about time to fab-up a front license plate holder as well. Yes, FORD does include a license plate kit but I wasn't about to drill into my front bumper in case I wanted to remove it again.

A few runs to the local hardware store, Home Depot for new drill bits/material and PepBoys for 5/32" vacuum caps and I had my supplies.

Truth be told, I actually did this now since a friend of mine told me that a lot of tickets were being handed out along with all of the on/off ramp checkpoints made me think twice about receiving a costly ticket. I guess I've just been lucky so far. For what its worth the "bumper re-paint excuse" has saved me a few times also. :coolman:

From the DMV:
"If you use one vehicle plate instead of two vehicle plates, you can receive a fine of $50 to $200 and mandatory surcharges of $50."

Now for the pics...
Front:

27509892el2.jpg

Top (I left a good 2" to avoid any rubbing):

24939201uw9.jpg

Here's the main brace which I bolted up right in front of the intercooler. I drilled five smaller holes where the plate holder attaches to. It had to be a two piece item as the front braces for the bumper would not allow the whole unit to be positioned correctly.

49456114vx3.jpg

So you could certainly purchase one or with a little time and patience make your own.

ssp.vortech

Established Member
MirageSVT,

Nicely done and great pics! I agree that drilling the front bumper is not the way to go. It's hard for me to even consider putting my plate on the front of the car, but I'd rather spend my money on upgrades than another damn ticket!

Thanks again!

ssp.vortech

Established Member
I ordered a bracket from TORQJNKY and it's definitely a quality product. I'm not a machinist or fabricator for that matter, so the plate bracket that he makes is perfect for me.

Thanks again to all that posted.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
I just used the OEM bracket and a little double sided tape and stuck it on there got the ticket signed off, took it back off and when on about my way.

Birdys03Cobra

Established Member
I tried 3 times not to have a front plate.....got a ticket with my G35 coupe...my Ford f-350 and my Audi S4......and everytime, the value of the ticket goes up....

unfortunately....the previous owner of my cobra, drilled holes and put a plate bracket on the front bumper.....such a bummer

Users who are viewing this thread