Lexus problem...troubleshoot?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
So our 2001 es300 lexus has started acting up with the cold weather. today my wife fired it up and it made a loud "shiiiiiiing" noise and died. she tried it again and pushed the gas and the car stayed on. i changed the plugs last year before i left and we got a new battery but i was thinking possibly the starter? car has 176k miles , no mods, just a DD lol.

Any ideas?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
daily driver manggggg lol car is good and the only thing we've had to replace was the battery. was nice when i had it, turns out wife thinks its fun to run into things while i'm on deployment. she gets to keep it as a beater.

crazyj0n

Established Member
battery not giving enough juice to starter?

I just ran into starter problems on my jeep, the power cable on the starter terminal was loose and covered in oil, cleaned it up and it worked.

Trbulnt

Established Member
The loud noise sounds like the starter didn't disengage fully. Doesn't really explain the shutting off though. Any engine codes?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Does the Lexus have an IAC valve or anything like Fords do? When my IAC valve was dirty and it got below freezing, it would idle rough and sometimes die. Cleaned it and it runs like a champ.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Also check cam sensors. Those are notorious for giving hell in cold weather. I had a jeep 4.0L one time that was a nightmare due to the stupid cam sensor.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Alternator perhaps? Don’t battery’s die quicker in the cold? My Cobra had something similar except for the loud noise. In the cold, car would crank slow at times or not at all.

Since the alternator was bad, it wasn't charging the battery right. Being in the cold only made things worse. Never got any light’s either, except maybe one time when I was driving and turned off on me at home.

Last edited:

IMXCITD

Established Member
if it doesn't turn out to be one of the issues mentioned here....go over to clublexus and look it up...chances are they have talked about it there in the past.

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Is this the first time you started it after replacing the battery?

With an older/high mileage Lexus, chances are you have some vacuum leaks.

When you swap the battery, short/long term fuel trims get reset to 0. If the car has been compensating quite a bit it will be very unhappy.

More information would be helpful... DTC's, other symptoms, known issues, ect.

If the car is turning over strong, its not a battery/alternator issues. If the car started, then stalled, it's not a starter issue.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Does the Lexus have an IAC valve or anything like Fords do? When my IAC valve was dirty and it got below freezing, it would idle rough and sometimes die. Cleaned it and it runs like a champ.
it does, i tried to unscrew it but i'm afraid to strip it. tried lil screw driver too, like short handle to get in tight space.
Also check cam sensors. Those are notorious for giving hell in cold weather. I had a jeep 4.0L one time that was a nightmare due to the stupid cam sensor.
i will check this
Alternator perhaps? Don’t battery’s die quicker in the cold? My Cobra had something similar except for the loud noise. In the cold, car would crank slow at times or not at all.
Since the alternator was bad, it wasn't charging the battery right. Being in the cold only made things worse. Never got any light’s either, except maybe one time when I was driving and turned off on me at home.
maybe alternator or starter.

if it doesn't turn out to be one of the issues mentioned here....go over to clublexus and look it up...chances are they have talked about it there in the past.
will do, was thinking a lexus forum as well, didn't wanna register so i guess i'll lurk lol
Is this the first time you started it after replacing the battery?

With an older/high mileage Lexus, chances are you have some vacuum leaks.

When you swap the battery, short/long term fuel trims get reset to 0. If the car has been compensating quite a bit it will be very unhappy.

More information would be helpful... DTC's, other symptoms, known issues, ect.

If the car is turning over strong, its not a battery/alternator issues. If the car started, then stalled, it's not a starter issue.

no known issues, car has ran solid, just the battery that i know of since we bought it about a year and half ago.

Kornilov

Established Member
176k, time to trade it?

LOL, GTFO. <200K miles is just getting broken in for a Toyota motor of that era. Now that slushbox might be on its last legs, but if the motor has gotten even the most basic regular maintenance, it will go to 300K or beyond without too much issue.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
we plan to have it for a while. i actually love it but i gave it to my wife as a DD. i knd of want it back...i settled for an 01 accord. its ok, gets me from A to B but its not as smooth a ride lol.

Users who are viewing this thread