LEXUS IS?

lilcoop03

Established Member
I daily a 2008 IS250. It is very underpowered but I didn't buy it for that. I only paid $4900 for it but it looks and drives like a much more expensive car. I love it as a daily and will probably drive it into the ground. It has 210k miles and I hope it lasts much longer. It allows me to keep miles off my truck and get decent MPG

jshen

Established Member
TMC and their involvement with racing has not rubbed off on the IS- the point of the thread. I liked the car in the past but Lexus has done little with the IS and now an advertising blitz...What gives and why not put some performance in the car. My point being- they certainly have the ability but for reasons known only too them have chosen not to do so.

Last edited:

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Wife daily-drives a '12 IS250. 190k miles and other than oil and filter changes, all I've ever done are tires, brakes, shocks, a battery, a pcv valve, and a set of plugs. Hands down the most reliable, best-built car I've ever owned. Couldn't care less how slow it is; it's quick enough for L.A. traffic, still looks great, and I know it won't leave my wife stranded. If the rumors of an upcoming IS500 are true, that's my next daily driver.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
I hope those rumors are true. But if the past is any indicator of the future it is just another rumor. I agree the Lexus model last forever and the quality is top-notch.! But to those who want a compact size rear wheel drive platform and there are plenty of us why not give this is 350 at least 400 horsepower.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
TMC and their involvement with racing has not rubbed off on the IS- the point of the thread. I liked the car in the past but Lexus has done little with the IS and now an advertising blitz...What gives and why not put some performance in the car. My point being- they certainly have the ability but for reasons known only too them have chosen not to do so.
OK, I have to be fair to Lexus. For the last year of my career as a Lexus technician, I did have the chance to PDI some LC500s. Visually they arent my cup of tea, but actually driving them they are VERY fun. Same engine as the RCF and GSF, but somehow that big ass LC500 just felt... far quicker than a big car should. The trans had very quick shifts and felt like a well sorted DCT in manual mode.

Now, it would get its ass handed to it by any dedicated performance car. But it DID accomplish its engineered goal: FEEL like its a high performance road monster. RCF bored me, LC500 was a treat.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
For a company that produced the 2JZ-GTE, the LFA, participates in NASCAR and sponsors NHRA teams, Toyota Motor Corporation is oblivious to performance.

Well said.
And with that said, it's reliable cars.

I'd rather be 100hp down and have a car that works rather than a VAG product or BMW that drains your bank account in the repair shop with various severe engine and drivetrain faults..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's a great, reliable car overall, but the design and engine are boring. Just doesn't excite me. They sell a lot of them, so there are a lot of owners who might disagree with me.

The IS300 AWD makes 260hp and 236tq. The IS350 is an improvement, but still not all that exciting at 311hp and 280tq. The 300 AWD uses a 6-speed auto. The 350 RD uses an 8-speed while while the 350 AWD uses the 6-speed auto.

A well-equipped IS 300 stickers for around $48K. Most reviews like the IS but the common thread it that it just continues to be a step behind the competition. What it needs it a bit more work on the sheet-metal, a better transmission, and more power under the hood (at least on the 350). JMO.

2021 IS 300
BB1d4hIg.jpg

BB1d4mek.jpg

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
It's a great, reliable car overall, but the design and engine are boring. Just doesn't excite me. They sell a lot of them, so there are a lot of owners who might disagree with me.

The IS300 AWD makes 260hp and 236tq. The IS350 is an improvement, but still not all that exciting at 311hp and 280tq. The 300 AWD uses a 6-speed auto. The 350 RD uses an 8-speed while while the 350 AWD uses the 6-speed auto.

A well-equipped IS 300 stickers for around $48K. Most reviews like the IS but the common thread it that it just continues to be a step behind the competition. What it needs it a bit more work on the sheet-metal, a better transmission, and more power under the hood (at least on the 350). JMO.

2021 IS 300
View attachment 1686229

View attachment 1686230
Last time I saw a mug like that, it was devouring krill.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Well said.
And with that said, it's reliable cars.

I'd rather be 100hp down and have a car that works rather than a VAG product or BMW that drains your bank account in the repair shop with various severe engine and drivetrain faults..

They could easily AND reliably push their power up to match their competitors throughout their product stack. They choose not to. Its a culture of very conservative executives at TMC.

They could also easily produce a reliable performance car to compete on the same level as BMW M3 or C63 AMG. They FINALLY produced a TT V6 for the LS500. A derated version would make a great option for an F-sport. But in typical Lexus fashion, I doubt it would ever make it into an engine bay without it being a super top end version of the car. It would take an act of Kiichiro Toyoda from the grave to seemingly make it happen.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
They could easily AND reliably push their power up to match their competitors throughout their product stack. They choose not to. Its a culture of very conservative executives at TMC.

They could also easily produce a reliable performance car to compete on the same level as BMW M3 or C63 AMG. They FINALLY produced a TT V6 for the LS500. A derated version would make a great option for an F-sport. But in typical Lexus fashion, I doubt it would ever make it into an engine bay without it being a super top end version of the car. It would take an act of Kiichiro Toyoda from the grave to seemingly make it happen.

They do it their way it's a slow process but it works great for them.

I'm super happy with my GS250 Executive package, fully loaded with everything.
But it's slow with just 210hp. Not dead slow, but slow.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Last time I saw a mug like that, it was devouring krill.
Yeah, I haven't been a big fan of the huge front grills (Lexus and Toyota). But after seeing so many on the road, I'm a tad more accepting. My wife might switch to a 2022 Toyota Camry when her Hyundai Kona lease is up in July of 2022. They're great cars, and she's wanting to get back into a sedan. I think her SUV/CUV days are nearing an end. She'd prefer a Toyota over Lexus.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

2021 IS 300
View attachment 1686229

View attachment 1686230

I agree, boring and slow. Just does not do it for me.

snakecharmer

Established Member
Lexus styling has been very disappointing the last several years. That spindle grill is over done and over played. They need something fresh that doesn't have a grill screaming LOOK AT ME.

Users who are viewing this thread