Lets talk Iat2

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Hey guys. Just wanted to talk about Iat2. I have found like two threads and haven't really found what I was looking for.

What should normal driving Iat2 be on say an 75 degree day? What about 50 and 90? I know it will change depending on cooling mods, Blower and such but should be a ballpark for every car right? How hot should it get after a pull? At what degree should you start to be concerned? How much should it raise with the a/c on?

Just want to make sure my cooling system it working properly

cj428mach

Established Member
The other day I was running 30 degrees over ambient temperature with a Whipple. The highest I've seen is 50 degrees over ambient.

Jensanity

Established Member
I think by 150* a decent amount of timing gets pulled. This probably varies by tuner of course, but my car pulls 2* at 150* and I forget where, but it pulls 1* at a lower temp than that.

4601S/C

Established Member
Ford spec for IAT2 is 40° above IAT1 at 60mph. Mine is typically 38-40° over in cooler weather (like 70 or below ambient), and 40-43° over in hot weather (like 80°+). I'm running a stock Eaton with the stock pulley.

I had my intercooler pump fail on me last year. I was seeing 160° cruising down the highway. To give you an idea of how the system affects performance; On a stock PCM timing starts to gets pulled progressively at an IAT2 of 100° up to 150°.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Mines' usually 40* over ambient temps. Other day it was 70* and my iat2 was hovering around 110*. After doing a little 2nd gear pull it went to 115*, but eventually dropped back down.

My tuner has my ecu to start pulling timing at 130*, and 2 degrees once it hits 140*. The highest I've seen mine go is 137*, that's after driving on a hot day and letting the car idle for a minute in my garage.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The e85 tune on my car doesn't pull significant timing until iat2 200! Lol, gotta love the corn :dancenana:

Especially in south Texas! I'd see no other option!

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I have been watching my IATs really close as i am installing my killerchiller this weekend. With my current AFCO dual fan set up i run about 30 degrees over ambient all the time. Not bad but not great either.
0952AFEC-E93B-45FF-9210-9F5D662DF602_zps6zzdcbc6.jpg

BFC97E36-5F6B-4CB5-B3CD-09054929BA51_zps2i4jzkph.jpg

4601S/C

Established Member
I have been watching my IATs really close as i am installing my killerchiller this weekend. With my current AFCO dual fan set up i run about 30 degrees over ambient all the time. Not bad but not great either.
-pic-
-pic-

What mix of coolant/water do you run?

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
What mix of coolant/water do you run?

Honestly i dont know. Pretty much whatever came from the factory. I drained the coolant when i did the Heat exchanger but then reused it! To add some extra volume i just added alittle distilled water. Once i drain it for the killer Chiller im going to go 70/30 and all new fluid.

YGETV8

Established Member
Let's clarify: ambient or AIT1? AIT1 will be a little over ambient.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Especially in south Texas! I'd see no other option!

No doubt, it's already very humid and miserable. Overnight "Lows" are near 80 lol

One other thing I've noticed on e85 vs the gas tune is even the coolant temp takes a lot longer to get to operating temp. At least 5 more minutes of drive time. I think the max IAT2 temps I see are high 130s after some blasting...but it drops back down 128 once cruising 45+ speed a bit. This in mid 90 degree ambient. Slightly lower numbers in evening temps and no sun beating down

MalcolmV8

Established Member
One other thing I've noticed on e85 vs the gas tune is even the coolant temp takes a lot longer to get to operating temp.

I've noticed this too. Not only longer to heat up but the car runs noticeably cooler (engine coolant temp) on E85 vs gas.

Users who are viewing this thread