Let's talk door sill entry scuff plates

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Ok, so just for the record:

1994-1998's with a black interior, the official interior color was called Ebony. These parts are a true black, a dark black. The door sill part # starts with an F4 or F5 designator.

1999-2004's with a black interior, the official color was Charcoal Black. These parts are NOT the same color "black" as the 1994-98's and are NOT "Ebony". They will be lighter in color when compared part time part. The door sills that I have seen for a 99-04, the part # starts with a "YR".

Now that the above is out of the way - because many Sellers on eBay are listing black interior parts for the 1994-1998's as being the same as the 1999-2004's - and trust me - it's not true because 94-98 parts for a black interior ARE NOT the same at all to a 99-04.

So here's my questions which are specifically for a 1994-1998 Mustang Cobra (and GT would apply):

1) Was there any difference at all between a 1994-1998 Coupe Door Sill plate vs. a Convertible? Was it the same part between both vehicles?

2) The L & R door sills are clearly marked on the back side with a "L" and "R", along with a specific Ford part # based on if it's in fact a L or R part. However, I'm not seeing any difference if say the passenger side was flipped over to be used on the driver side... Is anyone else seeing an actual physical difference in why a L won't fit on the R side or vice versa????

BlackStang00

Established Member
Coupe and convertible I believe were the same.

They’re pretty much the same side to side but there is a notch towards one end and one end has 2 prongs. Because of that, they only fit one way.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Different. As stated above, one end has two little prongs that locate that end. I guess you could cut the prongs off and see if it would work on the other side.

Tom

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Coupe and convertible I believe were the same.

They’re pretty much the same side to side but there is a notch towards one end and one end has 2 prongs. Because of that, they only fit one way.

Different. As stated above, one end has two little prongs that locate that end. I guess you could cut the prongs off and see if it would work on the other side.

Tom

Thanks for the replies!

Ok, so on the underside the locator “prongs” seems to be the only difference? I mean, I know those sill scuff plates also have (4) metal clips which grip very well. So I’m wondering if the prong is cut off, then one could swap the sill plates or purchase the opposite side if correct side isn’t available?

I mean, as long as that is the only physical difference in the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread