Let's talk catch cans.

Coiled03

Established Member
So, it's looks like I'll be purchasing a 2016 3.5L F150 here in the next few days. I've heard the debate about catch cans but would like to hear from the members here.

So, what do you think? Are they absolutely necessary? If so, which is the best no-drill option? If not, why not?

I'm inclined the think they're not required as much as a peace of mind kind of thing. The combination of PI/DI should keep things fairly clean. But, what are your thoughts?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
On a 2016, yes, especially on 3.5 Ecoboost. The big downfall of direct injection is the fact that the gasoline doesn't wash down the intake valves. So, oil burns on to the intake valves through the PCV system and can cause many issues. It may not happen, but I'd you don't do much interstate driving, I would for sure do it.

This has become enough of an issue that manufacturers are designing engines that are both port and direct injection.

We owned a 2.0 liter Ecoboost Fusion that had 70,000 miles on it. The fuel economy had went to crap when we traded it. I would've loved to seen the intake valves as I woulday money on the valves being coked over causing it to get 19mpg.

I just ordered a JLT oil catch can for my wife’s Ford Edge Sport two days ago. It’s 100% plug and play. No drilling required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96gt02

Established Member
Definitely get a OCC, I remember when i was researching them for my FoST I came across a lot of Ecoboost truck owners who were having issues with not only blow by oil but also condensation in the charge pipes causing serious issues.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely get a OCC, I remember when i was researching them for my FoST I came across a lot of Ecoboost truck owners who were having issues with not only blow by oil but also condensation in the charge pipes causing serious issues.

The early 3.5 liters were bad about that.

Blk 93 Snake

Established Member
Just bought a 2017 explorer sport. It’s low miles so this is something I want to do to get ahead of any potential issues. I watched an install vid on the JLT. Looks super simple. Any other brands people would recommend over JLT?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Just bought a 2017 explorer sport. It’s low miles so this is something I want to do to get ahead of any potential issues. I watched an install vid on the JLT. Looks super simple. Any other brands people would recommend over JLT?

I would just stick with the JLT. I just put one on our Ford Edge Sport over the weekend Saturday. The fit and finish was too good to even think of installing something else. It literally only took 20 minutes start to finish to install
IMG_3528.jpg

Coiled03

Established Member
JLT has some well integrated kits, and we have several SVTP Vendors who can hook you up with a good deal.

Whatever I buy has to be a no-drill installation. Is the JLT no-drill?

Who do you recommend, Travis? I'm all about supporting a vendor if I can.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting. I have a 2018 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost. Currently have 1900 miles on it. But it's a lease and who knows if I'll buy it or get something else.

But realistically, I'd have to take the separator off every time it goes to the dealer.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I wanted a OCC on my 98 Cobra because my throttle body was always covered in oil anytime I looked at it. I didn't want to pay the $150+ for one, so I went to Sears and bought a Air Compressor Water/Air Separator and removed the guts. Had a valve similar to a valve stem on the bottom so I could empty without taking apart. Cost $9.99 I think and it worked great. Plus it was clear so I didn't have to guess when to empty it.

I just bought a '12 F150 EcoBoost and will probably do the same. Just throwing that option out there

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Bob’s makes great OCCs. I bought two for my GT500, but re-purposed one for my FiST.

FJohnny

Established Member
If you go to www.jlttruecoldair.com and look up the oil separator for your vehicle you will find 'install instructions' about half way through the description. Push this to see details and pictures of install. Easy to put on and relatively cheap.

Oil allowed to be put back into intake air supposedly lowers octane rating of charge and gums things up. My JLT can catches just enough oil to cover the bottom of the can each gas fill. Not much but enough to make me glad to remove it.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Jegs unit spliced into the stock Ford tubing......less than $ 50.00
Did this on both GT500's & the 17 F150 5.0.
1st-A-P-2014-cruise-night-05-07-2014-003.jpg

30-day-build-update-pics-05-21-2014-009.jpg

2017-catch-can-002.jpg

FJohnny

Established Member
Heard the new ones don’t have this issue because of the new fuel system.

This thread really got me to wondering. I just forced my brother to add the Roush S/C kit to his new '18 F150. Since I had the JLT can on my mustang I figured he might need one for his truck. Contacted Roush and they got back to me saying a catch can was not necessary on his vehicle with their blower. They should know, right? Hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread