LETHAL PERFORMANCE T-56 TOB Retainer Sleeve

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Mine does it on occasions? Sometimes its worst then others? Last time I took the car out a couple weeks ago, it barely made the annoying wet break squeal sound, in fact drove beautifully with the exception of the noise that comes out of the transmission tunnel :shrug: When it does occur it will do it in first gear and reverse.

DSGNator

Established Member
Mine does it on occasions? Sometimes its worst then others? Last time I took the car out a couple weeks ago, it barely made the annoying wet break squeal sound, in fact drove beautifully with the exception of the noise that comes out of the transmission tunnel :shrug: When it does occur it will do it in first gear and reverse.

Wet break squeal is very similar to what my noise sounds like. Mine won't do it in reverse and the only time it doesn't make the sound is if I give it the most perfect amount of gas as I'm letting off just the right amount. I probably am able to hit that perfect combo 1 out of every 6 take offs. I've been doing some research. I know my car has a Fidanza flywheel, but I don't know if it's steel or aluminum. I've heard the aluminum ones make more noise than steel ones. But if this is something that's "Normal" for this flywheel, I want to change it out ASAP! I plan on having a mechanic take a ride with me to help identify the noise. I'm about to the point where I want to replace everything in the clutch. But obviously that's really expensive. Does your car have any aftermarket clutch parts?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Wet break squeal is very similar to what my noise sounds like. Mine won't do it in reverse and the only time it doesn't make the sound is if I give it the most perfect amount of gas as I'm letting off just the right amount. I probably am able to hit that perfect combo 1 out of every 6 take offs. I've been doing some research. I know my car has a Fidanza flywheel, but I don't know if it's steel or aluminum. I've heard the aluminum ones make more noise than steel ones. But if this is something that's "Normal" for this flywheel, I want to change it out ASAP! I plan on having a mechanic take a ride with me to help identify the noise. I'm about to the point where I want to replace everything in the clutch. But obviously that's really expensive. Does your car have any aftermarket clutch parts?

Sounds like our cars have the same symptoms? Mine has the Fidenza clutch and Aluminum flywheel. If I launch mine slightly aggressive it wont make the sound? But just like you mentioned any other time I have to time the release of clutch and amount of gas perfectly when driving normal :shrug:
I been attempting to get mine up to my tuner but the weather and work schedule never coincide, he's going to drop my tranny and inspect it all. I might even replace the clutch I have always liked the Centerforce clutches but we will see. Keep me posted on what you come up with I will definetly post up when I figure mine out.

DSGNator

Established Member
Sounds like our cars have the same symptoms? Mine has the Fidenza clutch and Aluminum flywheel. If I launch mine slightly aggressive it wont make the sound? But just like you mentioned any other time I have to time the release of clutch and amount of gas perfectly when driving normal :shrug:
I been attempting to get mine up to my tuner but the weather and work schedule never coincide, he's going to drop my tranny and inspect it all. I might even replace the clutch I have always liked the Centerforce clutches but we will see. Keep me posted on what you come up with I will definetly post up when I figure mine out.

That sounds exactly like mine! It's got me to where I want to launch the car aggressively no matter what just to avoid that god awful sound. I know my car looks good, but it kills me to see someone check out my Cobra then cringe when I take off lol. I hear you on the work/weather schedule. I won't be able to get mine looked at until next Monday at the earliest. Please let me know what your tuner finds when he inspects your transmission! This noise is driving me crazy! Even when I'm not driving the car. If I have to replace the clutch, I think I might go ahead and replace the TOB and get one of the Lethal Performance retaining sleeves as well. Hell I might go ahead and do a rear main seal while I'm in there. I don't know about a flywheel resurface though. I'll look into that. I just want to get as much corrected inside my transmission as I can while I have it out. I've never dropped the transmission out of any Mustang, but I've done several other vehicles before. I've read some write ups and I think it's something I could handle. It might take me an entire weekend and a case of beer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Yeah I know how you feel when people are starring at your sexy ass cobra you try to be cool with the clutch release and that damn squeal occurs :nonono:

I purchased the retainer sleeve and the Ford racing TOB from lethal performance hopefully I got the correct one (TOB) I have not had any luck with the FORD TOB on my wifes 99 GT in the pass, They chirp like crazy? Not sure if the Ford racing TOB is different?
I went with Centerforce dual friction on my wifes GT as well as my 01 Roush and they have worked flawlessly!
My tuner told me a few months back that my clutch on the Cobra showed signs of slipping on the dyno? So I might be doing a clutch as well.

DSGNator

Established Member
My clutch is a Centerforce DFX series. If I end up having to replace It I think I might give one of the Spec 3+s a try. I've read some good reviews on them. Has your tuner had a chance to check out your transmission yet?

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Cody @ Stang-Hi ordered mine last week. Can't wait to put it on along with the spec 3+ clutch!

Thanks!
Hello. I know this is an ancient thread, but can you please tell me how the Spec Stage 3+ worked out for you? On street use only, other than allot of pedal pressure, did this clutch chatter, or any other negative side effects? I'd hate to put it in and find out that it's totally unusable for the street. Thank you.

Albatross

Established Member
I have driven several mustangs with spec twin disc clutches. They are very noisy. A lot of them chatter on take off but this may be because they had not been broken in properly. That being said, I have driven a few cars with spec clutches that I thought were great. It may come down to proper installation and proper break in. I personally have a McLeod RXT and like it a lot. Very quiet. There was some chatter during break in but that has gone away. I'm not saying one is better than the other. Just giving my personal experience. Make sure to take your time when installing. Torque everything to the proper spec. One quick tip, make sure the clutch discs are lined up perfectly. You want to be able to pull the alignment tool out with almost no effort. It makes mating the trans a lot easier. In my experience, if they are just a little off, you will have a hard time getting that input shaft through. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread