Let’s talk buffers

My94GT

Established Member
What brand is everyone using?

Through work I’ve always used dewalt And they seem to work well for taking on the tasks we do with buffing fresh paint (collision repair shop use)

As I’m looking to expand my home detailing tools and materials I’m looking for opinions on what everyone else is using.

Thanks!

M91196

Established Member
Flex 3401 was my investment after years with a Porter Cable.

It’s not light but it works well. High quality German engineering, it should still be running for my grand children......

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Griot's 6" is an excellent 'beginner' machine. Plenty of power, easy to use, great warranty and pricing is good. (I have 2 of them and still use them)

HF machine I've heard good things about as well, not as 'powerful' as the Griots, but a decent machine, along with the PC.

The Adam's machines are good as well, if you are looking to get into the 'long throw' game. IMO, the most value for the $$. I beta tested one for him a few years ago and used it all the time without any issues--I did however have to run it wide open to get it to do what I wanted to do.

Flex 3401, a beast. I have 2-3 of them and I can not break them, they are forced rotation and not as 'forgiving' as a DA can be.

Rupes, great machines, but like all the long throws, a learning curve is involved with using them, as they have tendancy to stall on curves/curved panels/uneven surfaces.

Hope this helps everyone!

My94GT

Established Member
Thanks I’ll look into these. Thankfully it’s not a huge rush I have a car to do a paint correction and wax on this week but I can borrow the one from work.

I’ll have to look into the long throw ones as I’m curious to see how they do.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
You have a lot of options and it all depends on your experience and comfort level in learning to use a new polisher.

PC7424XP and the Griots DA are great beginner level polishers that would take insane amounts of effort to harm the surfact of your paint.

Rotary Polishers, Like DeWalts, Makita's, Flex will correct faster, but, leave little to no room for error and can greatly damage the paint.

I current have a 7424XP for light jobs, if I am applying a sealant or doing a pre-prep polish before applying a paint coating.

For heavier work, I have a Flex 3401 I've had for over 8 years now and have probably put in over 150 hours of physical run time on the unit and it works like a champ. It is harder to control as it is very powerful compared to the PC/Griots, but, will correct faster and has a little more room for error compard to a rotary.

Lastly, I have a Rupes BigFoot that I've used recently to completely correct and apply a paint coating on my wife's 2012 Volt. It is the Mercedes of the polisher world and is a massive bang for buck.

CV355

_
Established Member
Flex 3401 was my investment after years with a Porter Cable.

It’s not light but it works well. High quality German engineering, it should still be running for my grand children......

This is what I use. Thing is a monster. If you get it, just make sure to lube up the felt ring or the aluminum gearbox housing gets hot. Not a design flaw nor a failure point, but a nice "tweak" in my mind.

I have no experience with rotaries. The 3401 is one of the meaner DAs out there. I was stuck between it or a Rupes. I've heard the Rupes is quieter but I have been really impressed with what the 3401 can do.

Sort of wish I held out for the battery model.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I use a 7424XP which as others have said is a good starter model and the only way you'll hurt your paint with a 7424XP is by throwing it at the car. With the right pads it can do some impressive work. At some point I will step up to a Rupes or a Flex but for now it's still doing good work for me. I don't feel qualified to step into the next league anyways lol.

Here is some of my claim to fame with a 7424XP, orange pad and 105, before the 205 polish

20160526_204338-X3.jpg

20160526_205404-X3.jpg

My94GT

Established Member
I wouldn’t consider myself a beginner with a buffer, 16 years in collision repair I’ve done a lot of paint correction work. I would say I’m more new to what materials are great for true detailing work as we do t get into that end of car care.

Mostly I’ll just be using a buffer to do pint correction prep for ceramic coating on our personal cars.

Users who are viewing this thread