LEO'S Stolen Trailer

cobra1993svt

Established Member
About 7 years ago I had my open car trailer stolen from a storage lot in NJ. My friend was letting me use his lot free of charge.The Police took a report at the time so they have all the necessary information. The other day my trailer was towed in on the back of one of my wholesalers trucks. I JUST know it my trailer but I no longer have the VIN. I contacted the police who took the report but he cant seem to find it.
How do I go about getting the old report? And how to I ask the Police to look into something that is 7 years old?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Depending on the dept they my have an electronic copy of the old police report, contact the dept that took the report.

BTW, what was the unique identifier that makes you sure this is your trailer?

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
When you say they cant seem to find it, why not? Reports should be kept in archives if not electronic as Adam said.

If you had it insured, check with the company to see if they have it in your history

cobra1993svt

Established Member
Did all that. I didnt have insurance on it because my agent said it was covered under my car insurance policy. I located the police report as of a couple of hours ago in a different township after talking to a police officer.
Now how do I go about getting the police to go look to see if it is my trailer? Do I stop into the business where it is and ask to look at it?
I dont want to give you guys the wrong impression but. Its just a gut feeling that I have but the report will prove it. The way the trailer looked when it showed up here was just to similiar.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
Call them and say that a trailer that was stolen from you has possibly been located by you. Im sure its VIN is in NCIC so they can run it to see if it matches

cobra1993svt

Established Member
The police department where it was stolen from called every year for about 4 years. The fifth year I Thanked them and asked if they would no longer call. I spoke with the Dispatcher today and I was givin the VIN she said its no longer listed as stolen as per my request
I now have someone looking into it for me and Im waiting for an answer

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
It should not have been taken out of the system as stolen unless you told them it was/had been recovered. Even though you asked for no future calls.

cobra1993svt

Established Member
Well hows that going to effect the end result if it is in fact my trailer?
I have a police report that it was stolen and YES I did ask to have it removed. But in the end doesnt somebody have to prove a legitimate sale of my trailer?

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Several possibilities on what might have happened. Abandoned by whoever stole it with serial numbers scratched off??? Sold without title and passed on a few times. If vin# are visible and you have the title, PD should be able to work it out that you get it back, based on what you posted

cobra1993svt

Established Member
I am unable to locate the title now. I have more searching to do. I will be getting the police report today in the hopes that it is my trailer and so I can get a dupilcate title or replacement title

cobra1993svt

Established Member
OK I went to try and find the used car lot where my trailer is located and couldnt find it. I needed to talk to the guy anyway because he owes me a check for a car he bought and I was going to get the tag number and have a Police officer friend contunue to look into it. He said It was the wrong tag number I took down. So maybe this thing is a little bigger than I thought.
DO you think I should get the township police where the trailer is located involved?

Or just forget it??????????????

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Did you get a insurance payout over it? frankly after 7 years I would probably just let it go.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Try to get a duplicate copy of the title from DMV. Since you have a copy of the report and confirmation it is still titled to you through the DMV, I would definitely contact the locals

Users who are viewing this thread