LEO'S ONLY: Oral Board Interview Help

Chris01Bullitt

Established Member
What's up guys, I have my Oral Board interview coming up in a few weeks and I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous. I've talked to a few people about the interview and got some helpful tips. Just looking for some extra tips and tricks that would help me get the extra edge.

So If you guys can help a future LEO out I would appreciate it a lot! Thanks and be safe out there!

:beer:

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
There's a lot to an oral interview, and it will be very nerve wracking. You have to understand that the interviewers will be looking just as hard at non-verbal cues as they will be at the answers you give. Make sure you look them in the eye, and give a solid, firm handshake. You will probably get several hypothetical questions. Give the answer you truly believe is right, not the one you think they want to hear. And once you give your answer, stick to it. Be able to justify why you feel that way. They will ask you to tell them about yourself. Make sure you can talk for a minute or two about your past, present, your interests, etc.. Know about the town/agency that you're applying to.

If you have confidence, and give logical, common sense types of answers, you'll be fine. Good luck!

Jim

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
When I did my oral interview many moons ago, most of my questions had to be answered with specific scenarios from my life. The advice on solid handshake and positive eye contact is sound advice. Eye contact when listening and when speaking is a must. Shows self confidence, which is what they're going to be looking for. Also, walking in and out of the room is a tell tale. Stand tall, move fluently, don't be in a rush. It all adds up. GL!

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Dress appropriately. (Suit obviously, conservative type)

Don't :bs: the interviewers. Be prepared to explain every answer you give and why you gave it.

If something in your past may come back to haunt you (even minor things) be prepared to discuss. At this point they should already have the skinny on your past. You better have learned from your mistakes and they should not be reoccurring.

It may appear at times that they are rude or even insulting. You have to keep your cool, some oral boards try to rattle your cage. It's nothing personal.

Don't figit, be confident but not cocky. Stand up straight when standing, sit up straight when sitting.

Try to prepare by answering random questions with in depth answers. But here's the kicker, don't be too long winded.

I think that's about it for now.

Good luck.

00streetfighter

Established Member
Dress appropriately. (Suit obviously, conservative type)

Don't :bs: the interviewers. Be prepared to explain every answer you give and why you gave it.

If something in your past may come back to haunt you (even minor things) be prepared to discuss. At this point they should already have the skinny on your past. You better have learned from your mistakes and they should not be reoccurring.

It may appear at times that they are rude or even insulting. You have to keep your cool, some oral boards try to rattle your cage. It's nothing personal.

Don't figit, be confident but not cocky. Stand up straight when standing, sit up straight when sitting.

Try to prepare by answering random questions with in depth answers. But here's the kicker, don't be too long winded.

I think that's about it for now.

Good luck.

^ Good solid advice. Keep in mind your going to be in front of a group of "old salty dogs", so to speak. They've seen and done it all.

Don't try to impress them. Like it was said above. Common sense, straight forward answers are always the best. Elaborate when needed, otherwise keep it short and to the point.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Is your oral board with Miami-Dade or one of the smaller departments? I know a few friends down there on the hiring committees.

He will answer your question as soon as he edits a crap load of old posts on here. :lol1:

Wonder if he realizes the Mods can see the original posts? :rolling:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
They're gonna ask you alot of ?s about your posts on SVTP. Be ready! :beer:
And congrats.

and why they were edited. :lol1::lol1::lol1:

congrats man.

Now is when your sexy time with sheep will come to light. Try not to think about it and maybe they won't ask....wait....did I just make you think about it? :rolling:

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread