LEO's need some advice

03cobraracer

Established Member
Hey guys just got certified and I'll be hitting the streets soon. Looking for a good flashlight holder to mount on my belt for a small LED light. Also looking for a new light as my old one crapped out. Any good suggestions?

I'm not really a fan of surefire as I hate the batteries. Rechargeable or AA or AAA battery is fine. Just looking for suggestions. We run basket weeve leather/synthetic belts. Thanks.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
goinggear.com for flashlights. They always have a 10% off code and free shipping over $50. I would suggest something with a single 18650 battery for carrying on your belt. Get a few quality batteries and charger and you'll be set.

EDIT: I'm not a LEO, but I'm sure I own more flashlights than 99% of LEO's. Also - some will come with a holster, check youtube for video reviews to see what's included with a specific light.

Last edited:

Woody6799

Established Member
Fenix TK15. They run a CR123 and I love the adjustable dim mods. Been running it for about 6 years with no issues but battery changes, and I am not gentle on equipment. I don't run a holder though so I can't help you with that

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
We have issued Pelican 7060 LED flashlights, which are rechargeable. Work great, no complaints. I wear it on my duty belt. Don't know which holster I use, didn't pay too much attention to that. I did have to buy a real leather one tho since the one that came with the flashlight fell apart within 6 months. The leather one has lasted me 5+ years.

I also carry a spare flashlight (not as strong, AA batteries) as my backup in one of my pants pocket for when the Pelican dies. No biggie, I just take it home to charge when it does inevitably die.

I used to charge the Pelican in the car, but I found myself forgetting it and having to use my backup more often.

Last edited:

DaBigBone

Established Member
I carry a Streamlight Strion LED. Rechargeable, small so it doesn't take up much room, and plenty bright enough. Also has the dimming and strobe features.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
We are issued the Streamlight Stinger LED HL in either the dual or single switch model. I have the dual switch and really like it. I put it in a flashlight ring on my back left hip when standing and not using it.

My secondary is the LA police gear L1. Been using it for 2 years and zero issues. http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-operator-l1-flashlight.html

I put the LA police gear flashlight in an issued basketweave Safariland flashlight holster. I think this one: http://www.safariland.com/flashlight/model-7926-compact-light-holder-10783.html#start=1

If you go rechargeable batteries I recommend the following from personal use: charger - http://www.batteryjunction.com/smx-intellicharge-i4.html

Your brighter flashlights will use an 18650 battery. Make sure you get a protected 18650 button top battery if you go that route. Stick with something developed by Panasonic as they make the best batteries.

I use a Streamlight TLR1-HL on my G17 with disposable Streamlight 123 batteries.

Last edited:

03cobraracer

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys! I ended up getting a light at a gun show today. Came with a holster and it's super bright. 1,020 lumens on full brightness plus strobe. Runs on 123's or rechargeables also. I also have a streamlight stinger I keep in my patrol bag. Paid $90 for it and has a lifetime warranty.

9D1145A2-F417-4D06-9521-7F22BAA4F24D_zpsoxbvaolk.jpg

94D5D705-4310-4DC2-A581-02479F77EBFD_zpszp3qp1zo.jpg

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Nice light - I google'd it, it will take one 18650. Trust me, that's the way to go. Get two high quality batteries like Nitecore or Eagletac and an intelligent charger and you'll be set. As said above, just make sure to get button tops and get a quality brand, lots of junk batteries being sold on Amazon and eBay.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Cool thanks yeah he gave me 2 sets of powertac 123's with it for now. Will definately look at those other batteries for sure. Don't need it dying on me when I need it ha. Luckily our department has the 123's also for next to nothing. The strobe on this thing is wicked it will stun anybody for sure

darksrt

Established Member
I carry a fenix tk22 in a blackhawk holster. quick in and out and ive always loved fenix. very bright and i accidentally dropped my old fenix tk22 off a 8 story building. went down expecting it to be shattered but it wasnt and still was usable.

Users who are viewing this thread