LEO ONLY: Questioning of a minor without attorney present/parent or legal guardian

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Does an officer have the right to question a minor (17) as a suspect for a federal crime without an attorney, parent, or legal guardian present?

I was read my Miranda rights, and held against my will in a police car by an officer. I denied him the right to hand search my phone for evidence, when he said he was taking it without a warrant I denied it again, and said I want to speak to your supervisor, his supervisor backed him up. I then said, I will sit here until I have an attorney, he denied me that right and told me if I did not hand it over I would be arrested on obstruction of justice.

This is in the state of Kansas. I was accused of a crime, and held against my will. The officer DID NOT have a warrant at the time he took my phone. In addition to what was said above, officer was obviously trying to persuade me to say things against my will i.e. frame me/make me slip. Do they have to record the interview? I feel my treatment was unfair, and unjust. I was told I was going to have a "short" talk, and that I was not in trouble, ended up being an hour and a half.

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Does an officer have the right to question a minor (17) as a suspect for a federal crime without an attorney, parent, or legal guardian present?

I was read my Miranda rights, and held against my will in a police car by an officer. I denied him the right to hand search my phone for evidence, when he said he was taking it without a warrant I denied it again, and said I want to speak to your supervisor, his supervisor backed him up. I then said, I will sit here until I have an attorney, he denied me that right and told me if I did not hand it over I would be arrested on obstruction of justice.

This is in the state of Kansas. I was accused of a crime, and held against my will. The officer DID NOT have a warrant at the time he took my phone. In addition to what was said above, officer was obviously trying to persuade me to say things against my will i.e. frame me/make me slip. Do they have to record the interview? I feel my treatment was unfair, and unjust. I was told I was going to have a "short" talk, and that I was not in trouble, ended up being an hour and a half.

Try giving the full story of what happened...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Yes, a minor can be held and questioned without their parent present in most instances.

So you are saying that a local officer questioned your in a Federal crime? That makes little sense, unless he was part of a joint taskforce.

What was the crime?

A cell phone is an object on your person which can be searched without a warrant. Good try though.

This is in the state of Kansas. I was accused of a crime, and held against my will. The officer DID NOT have a warrant at the time he took my phone.

Officer didnt need a warrant. You were held against your will because you were likely detained as a suspect in a crime.

In addition to what was said above, officer was obviously trying to persuade me to say things against my will i.e. frame me/make me slip. Do they have to record the interview? I feel my treatment was unfair, and unjust. I was told I was going to have a "short" talk, and that I was not in trouble, ended up being an hour and a half.

Guess what the the Supreme Court says the police are allowed to use those tactics during the investigation of a crime, and yes, that includes lying to you.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
that does help answer some of my questions

Do they require a voice or video recording of all this?

I will answer your question when you answer mine? What crime did they say you committed and what is the end result of this interview?

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
I will answer your question when you answer mine? What crime did they say you committed and what is the end result of this interview?

I'll update the thread when I have more answers available for you. Currently I will be speaking to an attorney about the situation. All I was aware of was that I was a suspect, I have not been charged with anything yet.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Your attorney should point you in the right direction. Hopefully, you are more forthcoming to him than you are with us.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Your attorney should point you in the right direction. Hopefully, you are more forthcoming to him than you are with us.

Should point him in the right direction...

Funny how no one wants to tell the whole story but wants all the answers.

Sir, I'm going to read you your rights..."You have the right to Mommy"

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Should point him in the right direction...

Funny how no one wants to tell the whole story but wants all the answers.

Sir, I'm going to read you your rights..."You have the right to Mommy"

Apparently, that is a new variant of Miranda.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Hum? :dw: where is Paul Harvey when you need him. OP, sounds like he fixing to be in some deep do-do. Sounds pretty paranoid to me.

Users who are viewing this thread