Lenders to finance 4th gen F-body

nxhappy

Established Member
I totally get where you are coming from, and no offense taken. But, imagine my shock when I saw that cleanish, unmodified examples of these cars going for 10K-15K. Clean 1 owner 6 spd WS6's are going for 30k now.

If it were 3-5K, Id be inclined to suck it up, save up for a bit and pay cash. 3-5k might get a clapped out V6 now. 7-8K for LS powered well used versions.

I thought about going with a 5th Gen Camaro but its too heavy, no t-tops, 4L80 swap is a PITA, a 9" swap pretty much wont happen. Also, I still just dont think it looks good. Ill admit, there is a bit of nostalgia with these 4th Gens as well for me. Id forgotten over the years how much I wanted one as a high school lad. And I totally get why clean Fox bodies are getting stupid money now.

So, when Im ready Ill apply for loans from institutions that are willing to loan on these older cars. Who knows though, I may stumble across a 4th gen LS powered car that needs a lot of work mechanically and I can buy it for a steal. Im on board with that if it pops up.
why not get a c6? I think you would be happier with that TBH. Or a C5Z with higher mileage. Or buy a clapped out foxbody and slap in a fatty race motor with cams and nitrous !

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I seriously remember when a decent ls1 fbod was like 5-8k on a bad day lol
So do I. Im not sure if its COVID, or the Fox Body effect (older guys with cash want their high school/dream car in high school ride) or the threat of EV only sales driving pricing on V8 cars up.

GM made nearly 1 million 4th gen F-Bodies between 1993 and 2002. I have a hard time believing that they are mostly scrap now, though most were probably V6 production.

nxhappy

Established Member
u wouldnt want an 95 96 LT would you ? my uncle has a red one

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
So do I. Im not sure if its COVID, or the Fox Body effect (older guys with cash want their high school/dream car in high school ride) or the threat of EV only sales driving pricing on V8 cars up.

GM made nearly 1 million 4th gen F-Bodies between 1993 and 2002. I have a hard time believing that they are mostly scrap now, though most were probably V6 production.

It’s probably all of the above honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
why not get a c6? I think you would be happier with that TBH. Or a C5Z with higher mileage. Or buy a clapped out foxbody and slap in a fatty race motor with cams and nitrous !

u wouldnt want an 95 96 LT would you ? my uncle has a red one

I really started out with a desire for a cheap C5, then thought why not a C6. After researching them both up and down I realized that Corvette only has 2 of the 4 things I want: LS power and removable top. Its lacking real 4L80 support and Ford 9" availability.

Its about a $15K swap kit from RPM transmissions to swap a 4L80 into a C6. No year that I know of supports a Ford 9" other than a complete custom unit that I couldnt find.

Reason I want the 4L80 is that its a factory GM produced overdrive unit, electrically controlled based on the TH400. 4L60 and 6L80 are good transmissions, but dont survive under higher power and boost.

Ford 9" because GM 10 bolts suck bigly.

As for the LT, this car has to be LS powered. LT isnt a bad engine, but the LS just has exponentially more parts and support. Its better in every way. Ive decided to pursue a 98-02 Trans Am. A Camaro SS could sway me for the right price. Id love a WS6 but those are retardedly expensive now.

nxhappy

Established Member
I really started out with a desire for a cheap C5, then thought why not a C6. After researching them both up and down I realized that Corvette only has 2 of the 4 things I want: LS power and removable top. Its lacking real 4L80 support and Ford 9" availability.

Its about a $15K swap kit from RPM transmissions to swap a 4L80 into a C6. No year that I know of supports a Ford 9" other than a complete custom unit that I couldnt find.

Reason I want the 4L80 is that its a factory GM produced overdrive unit, electrically controlled based on the TH400. 4L60 and 6L80 are good transmissions, but dont survive under higher power and boost.

As for the LT, this car has to be LS powered. LT isnt a bad engine, but the LS just has exponentially more parts and support. Its better in every way. Ive decided to pursue a 98-02 Trans Am. A Camaro SS could sway me for the right price. Id love a WS6 but those are retardedly expensive now.
OK BUT...if you want high power and boost, why not just dump 15 grand into the GT500 ? You sounds bored like me LOL. Sell the gt500 and buy a Viper =P

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Corvette is a transaxle with a torque tube. The transmission and differential are all one unit in the rear of the car. You can't swap a Ford IRS or SRA into it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
OK BUT...if you want high power and boost, why not just dump 15 grand into the GT500 ? You sounds bored like me LOL. Sell the gt500 and buy a Viper =P
Sentimental value in the GT500, mama doesnt want to let it go lol. Believe me, Ive given a Gen 2 GTS a long hard look. I could probably trade my GT500 in and only have an extra $10k to finance for the right one... but I dont even want to know what repair parts for the Vipers cost. But a Viper would be HELL of a car to jump in on the weekend, of that I have no doubt!

I could drop $15k into the 500 like I had been planning all these years. Problem is this: if something wipes out the engine and sends parts out the block, thats game over for me. All it would take is a clogged injector under wot and im toast. Its not like I can go to World or Brodix or Trickflow and get 5.4 blocks and heads. Genuine Shelby 5.4/5.8 stuff is long out of production and harder and harder to find NOS or quality used. I love the car, but I dont want the headache of trying to fix a blown GT500 engine. All the focus is on the Coyote based V8s now.

An LS based YOLOrocket means i can stuff all the boost in the world to the engine and not give a flying rats ass if I shit all the rods and pistons out the bottom. Im out a few hundred bucks and a day at the junkyard away from getting the car back on the road. Rinse repeat; Im on board with that. I DO see this car as more of a Daily that can have some fun as opposed to a dedicated speed project, but we are gearheads so... its inevitable. lol

Corvette is a transaxle with a torque tube. The transmission and differential are all one unit in the rear of the car. You can't swap a Ford IRS or SRA into it.
I know, which is why I was focused on the F body as they can easily accept 4L80 and 9" swaps. Curb weight is within spitting distance of the C6 base.

Ive got some time to think about this. Its probable I end up going Corvette due to ease of getting a loan if trying to finance a 4th gen turns out to be a pain in the ass. I surely wouldnt be sad either way. Plenty of guys race the C6 as well so some time at ls1tech and corvetteforum may be in order.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry man, I can see the C5/C6 but hell no on the F-body!
Have patience and find the right T-top Fox roller then Gen3/10R package swap and ride out. Boost down road if needed.
Or Cobra roadster, that’s my current want.
Glad you’re keeping the Shelby though!
Good luck either way.
-J

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry man, I can see the C5/C6 but hell no on the F-body!
Have patience and find the right T-top Fox roller then Gen3/10R package swap and ride out. Boost down road if needed.
Or Cobra roadster, that’s my current want.
Glad you’re keeping the Shelby though!
Good luck either way.
-J
LS swap 300ZX or MKIII Supra, even better a G-Body.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
As someone who is financially irresponsible ... with a GT500..

Even I know the logic behind this is insane. Lol.

If I told myself I couldn’t afford to fix the Gt500 if I blew it up... my next sentence wouldn’t be “ well obviously I should buy another car I can blow up “

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
As someone who is financially responsible ... with a GT500..

Even I know the logic behind this is insane. Lol.

If I told myself I couldn’t afford to fix the Gt500 if I blew it up... my next sentence wouldn’t be “ well obviously I should buy another car I can blow up “
Different strokes I suppose. Financially irresponsible would be be looking for a 2020 GT500, C8, C7 Z06, ZR1. Hell, even a new base Mustang GT is over $40k.

My goal isn't to blow a yolorocket up, but if it happens i wont be ****ed with a low production car with a low production engine in pieces like with a GT500.

As mentioned, I've already got the fambam wagon paid and maintained. Mama's on board with the idea of of removable top coupe. GT500 is our only car payment and that's nearly done.

@biminiLX lol, it may end up being a base C6. Will see what the market looks like in a few months. Ol Biden might have crashed the economy or hyperinflation may have hit. Fox roller with current engine would be legit, but not sure I have the space to make a project like that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread